• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    32? I don't cast bullets and havn't ever done any of the cowboy shooting stuff.... I am afraid I might like it to much lol

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Understand.
    I had to give it a try and it's easy and a lot of fun.
    Very satisfying to create ammo for the lead dispenser.

Those bullets are 405 grain .457 diameter for the old 45/70 caliber Trapdoor Springfield.

Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my Uncle has a 44-40 lever gun he has brought up me building some bullets for a few times. I haven't seen it but if I got my hands on it he might have trouble getting it back. It was in a civil war collection he bought and is not a reproduction ... super old but he says its in A+ shape

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking good Tony, where's your bucket of cold quenching water?

You need to start casting some 30 cal bullets for that exceptionally fine M-1 you have.

Rick

Last edited:

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Rick!
    Yes, I quenched the first batch till I ran out of metal.
    Some more turned up in the barn and that's when I made the picture dumping them on the towel.
    The diameter is a consistent .456 and the weight is pretty close from 401 - 408 grains depending on how much material gets pulled out of the base with the spree cutter.
    Didn't size them. Just a thick coating of Alox lube.

.30? YES! I'd like to give that a go. I understand they will need sizing and a copper gas check.
    More equipment to dink with.
    Thanks again for selling me that M1.
    It most definitely is a fine shooter as demonstrated be Kip last summer.
    I told him where the zero was at 50 and 100 yards at the military rifle competition and he shot the overall top score that day with it WITH MY CRAPPY reloads using those pulled/dented military bullets originally for .308 military bet it could be the best score on record at the range for a M-1.
    Wish I could shoot like that.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some moulds for a 180 gr semi-pointed gas checked, works pretty well in the M-1. Also have a 210 gr round nose for the 03s. Been looking for Lyman 311329, 165 gr pointed gas checked that looks a hell of a lot like a M-2 FMJFB bullet. Only seen one pop up on feebay and I quit watching when it hit a Benjamin. Of course it's a long discontinued mould.

See ya Sunday at the match.

Rick

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Humm, I have that mould in my saved searches on feebay, wonder why it didn't alert me. I'd much raather have the double cavity but I'll bid on this one anyway, considering they're made of unobtainium.

Yep, unless you have a sniper program or are will to put an enormous proxy bid on it you'll rarely win any bid items anymore.

BTW, have you checked those pulled bullets for roundness?

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, not fouling, but would worry about chambering. Fouling can be easily (somewhat) removed with Sweet's. I would run them through a Lee 308 sizer die before I loaded them, but I'm anal thataway. Give'um a good crimp so they don't get shoved back into the case in case the bullet should not got fully in the chamber.

Apparently from your previous post they are shooting just fine as is. A M-1 chamber makes a great sizer die to !

Rick

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a word to you ebay bidders. When I really want something on ebay in a bad way, I'll place my bid 10 seconds before the auction is to end. And.... I bid at least 25% higher than the highest bid. Or, there is an program that I've not used called "Sniper pro" in which you enter your highest bid and it automaticly places the bid at the last possible second.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, unless you have a sniper program you'll very seldom win an auction anymore. I just put in a bid I'm willing to pay and let it ride. But in the end there's always somebody willing to pay that dollar more and you lose. Even among the snipers the one with the highest proxy bid will win but you usually pay more than it's worth.

When the next 311329 double cavity mould comes up I'll put in the amount I'm will to pay, which for this mould will be substanial, and hope for the best. I can't understand why Lyman ceased production on the thing to begin with, it's a very popular mould.

Rick

Top Bottom