• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont know when this stuff is ever going to stop....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...014bba-e76f-11e4-9a6a-c1ab95a0600b_story.html

BALTIMORE — City officials suspended six police officers Monday as they investigate the death of a 25-year-old man who suffered a severe spinal cord injury while in police custody.

Freddie Gray had been hospitalized since his April 12 arrest and, according to his attorney, was in a coma when he died Sunday. On Monday, the mayor and police commissioner publicly pleaded for calm and promised a full accounting —

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There will be a short investigation where the police department investigates itself, nobody will be found at fault, and they'll all be right back at work after a nice paid vacation. Man, I chose the wrong field.

Officials said it was not clear how Gray was injured or whether he was hurt during his arrest or when he was in the back of a police van used to transport suspects.

Officials also were unable to answer other key questions, such as whether Gray was given prompt medical attention and whether he had done anything illegal or suspicious to justify officers detaining him

How could they possibly not know the answers to the very, very, very basic and fundamental questions?

Last edited:

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It'll stop when people start complying with police comands. Your foolish to think this would happen if the person would have stopped payed down and put his hands behind his back without being a dick and escalating the situation. Did the cops do everything right? I doubt it but chances are they didn't do this on purpose... No one wakes up and says I think I'm gonna go paralyze someone today and maybe if I'm lucky they'll die and I'll land my own ass in jail. I watched the video and if you turn cops on for an hour and see the 50 out of 60 suspects refuse to walk and talk that get dragged to a squad car you should at the very least understand why the po po doesn't believe every crying crackhead.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you're saying that if he, and others, simply complied with police directions, things like this wouldn't happen to them?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you're saying that if he, and others, simply complied with police directions, things like this wouldn't happen to them?

You pose a false dilemma, but I'll bite anyway.

They would be significantly reduced. I don't have an issue with people fighting the cops, the military or anyone else, but when you choose to fight an overwhelming force it's naive at the least to think you're going to come out of it unscathed. Anytime you choose to fight anyone, you're taking your chances and need to own your actions. Once they tell you they are arresting you, they are arresting you, fighting and arguing with them isn't going to change it. If you think they are wrong that is why we have a court system that has both a criminal and a civil side to it and both have different thresholds of guilt.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll agree they would be significantly reduced, but in cases like this:
    http://www.wltx.com/story/news/loca...leased-of-trooper-involved-shooting/16187305/

It's clear that compliance is insufficient to avoid injury.

Now, the obvious response here is that this is an "isolated incident" but it's clear to me from recent news events that had it not been for the dash cam footage, this officer would have simply checked the

[x] resisted

[x] went for my gun

boxes, and went on his merry way.

So, until we get bodycams on all police officers, it would be really hard to tell how beneficial non-resistance would really be.

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Like don said, there's a time and place to fight for right/wrong. That said, I will never blindly follow any orders. But if for some reason I'm being arrested, I'm not going to try to take on 5 cops. If I'm falsely arrested I will fight it in court. Most of these people getting hurt/killed is because they have done something illegal and don't want to go to jail or are either high on some kind of drugs or drunk. There was a special about how we are hearing about all these people getting killed by cops recently, well the stats don't lie. It's been pretty much even across the board for awhile now. It's just "advertised" more these days cause it gets reactions/ratings. There are a lot of people out there making money off these stories. And peoples agendas are being pushed along with these reactions.

There was talk about how the government wanted to make a federal police force. Don't you think with more and more people seeing these stories in a daily basis, they will all for the government to step in on their behalf and implement a federal police force......stop and think about it.

Doc

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like don said, there's a time and place to fight for right/wrong. That said, I will never blindly follow any orders. But if for some reason I'm being arrested, I'm not going to try to take on 5 cops. If I'm falsely arrested I will fight it in court. Most of these people getting hurt/killed is because they have done something illegal and don't want to go to jail or are either high on some kind of drugs or drunk. There was a special about how we are hearing about all these people getting killed by cops recently, well the stats don't lie. It's been pretty much even across the board for awhile now. It's just "advertised" more these days cause it gets reactions/ratings. There are a lot of people out there making money off these stories. And peoples agendas are being pushed along with these reactions.

There was talk about how the government wanted to make a federal police force. Don't you think with more and more people seeing these stories in a daily basis, they will all for the government to step in on their behalf and implement a federal police force......stop and think about it.

Doc

You said it better than me. I don't expect anyone to blindly follow anyone or anything, but knowing when you can get away with something and knowing when to cut your losses will take a person pretty far.

I used to tell my girls to ask themselves three questions before they did something questionable; 1. Can I get away with it? 2. Can I accept the consequences if I get caught? 3. Is it worth taking the chance? If you say no to any of those three questions move along. Those are the same things my dad told me and it served me well through the last nearly 50 years.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you treat the police with respect generally they will also treat you with respect. Takes respect to get respect, don't be a jackass.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Follow appropriate commands ("Will you step out of the car please and talk with me in front of my cruiser?"), respectfully decline inappropriate commands ("Let me search your vehicle when I have no legal right to do so!") and fight any wrongdoing (if any takes place, usually it will not) in court. Fight hard, until every last person involved is punished appropriately.

I believe if everyone followed this advice, 95%+ of these types of cases would not happen.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At what point do you resist enough that that police have the right to kill you? I can understand some police shootings and a great many are justfied. BUT to get your spine severed while in a police van. Aren't showing the camera footage from the van.

MAYBE someone will get charged and MAYBE not. Show them. IMO when they have you cuffed and under control its time to stop the I am the cop and God

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, guys, to some point, I must respectfully disagree. I mean I was buying what you were saying until I happened to check the news again tonight (see #2 below)

1) I think the Baltimore police owe the United States of America some answers about what happened in that van that they had to break the guy's neck and kill him. Like two days ago.

2) The video here, clearly shows how out of control police are in this country.

US Marshall grabs womans cell phone and smashes it.

If their actions were above board, why were they clearly terrified of being filmed? What do they have to hide?

Better video here

Last edited:

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have mixed views on this, if you break the law why would you think you were so special to get away with it? If you pose a threat to the authorities, why would you not be treated as a threat to the authorities? They are here to serve and protect, this means everyone even if you are endangering yourself. For the life of me I do not under stand why someone would even attempt to use force against an authority with a weapon. This problem has been going on for way to long, to the point where the authorities are protecting themselves against individuals who pose a threat of any fashion. These people have made it that way not the authorities. I myself would not taunt the authorities who in fact carry a weapon. Why put yourself in a position to get hurt or even worse killed. Look at the demographics of the people committing these crimes. Once these people wake up maybe the problem will stop. Or maybe they will continue to be dealt with until the problem is solved.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, guys, to some point, I must respectfully disagree. I mean I was buying what you were saying until I happened to check the news again tonight (see #2 below)

1) I think the Baltimore police owe the United States of America some answers about what happened in that van that they had to break the guy's neck and kill him. Like two days ago.

2) The video here, clearly shows how out of control police are in this country.

US Marshall grabs womans cell phone and smashes it.

If their actions were above board, why were they clearly terrified of being filmed? What do they have to hide?

No argument from me that there need to be some answers given or that there are some folks in all levels of law enforcement that have no business working the french fryer or drive thru let alone being turned loose with a badge and gun. In my experience the truly corrupt have been in the minority.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this appropriate?

"Gray asked for medical care several times en route to the police station, but the van made several stops along the way, including to pick up another prisoner in an unrelated case, police said."

Apprently so, since

Batts said he had ordered his department to rewrite the rules on moving suspects and on how to respond to medical emergencies.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No argument from me that there need to be some answers given or that there are some folks in all levels of law enforcement that have no business working the french fryer or drive thru let alone being turned loose with a badge and gun. In my experience the truly corrupt have been in the minority.

There apparently, was not a single good cop on duty, this day:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/10/us/california-san-bernardino-police-beating/

After the guy surrendered, anything that happened after that was assault. How come no good cops arrested the perpetrators? And yea, kicking a guy that has surrendered hard as you can, in the balls, is a total chump move.

and this is another reason they all need bodycams.

[video]https://youtu.be/gPvTTmhyB_w[/video]

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There apparently, was not a single good cop on duty, this day:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/10/us/california-san-bernardino-police-beating/

After the guy surrendered, anything that happened after that was assault. How come no good cops arrested the perpetrators? And yea, kicking a guy that has surrendered hard as you can, in the balls, is a total chump move.

and this is another reason they all need bodycams.

[video]https://youtu.be/gPvTTmhyB_w[/video]

It starts one layer up, if their supervisors are tolerating it they will do it. We all knew turds in the military and a section/platoon/flight etc. that had a turd in charge eventually had the majority of turds working for him. PDs are no different, if the guy "leading" them is a turd eventually most under him will be turds unless the head turd is removed.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have mixed feelings as well and just figure each individual incident has to be looked at and judged on its own set of facts. The news media is hammering away and searching for stuff so it can have the appearance of an epidemic. But just like the swine flu, bird flu, Ebola, measles outbreak, etc the constant news cycle makes it seem more severe than it really is I think.

Sometimes people are just idiots and sometimes the police go to far. I've seen a lot of video where they have knees on the back of a suspect's neck, arms, and legs yet still scream stop resisting and apply even more force. I think the body has a natural reaction to try and move away from the source of the pain, like a knee with 240 pounds of force pinning one's neck to the pavement for example. If you can't freaking breath your body will try change it's situation to get air. Doesn't matter who is holding you down you just need air. Maybe more research needs to be done and techniques modified.

I do think the "what ever it takes to get home mindset" might get repeated a little too often and get some officers in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'll agree they would be significantly reduced, but in cases like this:
    http://www.wltx.com/story/news/loca...leased-of-trooper-involved-shooting/16187305/

It's clear that compliance is insufficient to avoid injury.

Now, the obvious response here is that this is an "isolated incident" but it's clear to me from recent news events that had it not been for the dash cam footage, this officer would have simply checked the

[x] resisted

[x] went for my gun

boxes, and went on his merry way.

So, until we get bodycams on all police officers, it would be really hard to tell how beneficial non-resistance would really be.

i remember seeing this one.. two things, motorist was moving way too fast, and the cop was way too touchy...

Top Bottom