• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, while in the gym with a few buddies who enjoy hunting the other day, the conversation about what is legal and not legal to hunt with came up. My buddies were 100% sure that you are ONLY allowed to hunt with an autoloading rifle with a maximum magazine capacity of 5 rounds for anything, be it on private or public land to include deer, hogs, etc. From my readings, all I can find is information that autoloading rifles can only have a maximum capacity of 5 rounds while hunting deer, but hogs are a different story and I have not found anything, yet, to state specifically that it is against the law to hunt with a 30 round magazine for hogs. Granted, WMA regulations can be specific from site to site, so we were discussing more the legal aspect in general. Would anyone like to chime in to settle a dispute with links to specific regs and laws?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's one of the things I have referenced and it states that, when hunting deer, magazine capacity can not exceed 5 rounds. What about when you are hunting hogs whether it be in or out of deer season?

Just don't get caught in the field with a deer and a 30 round mag. Could a game warden try to make an issue out of it if you have a 30 round mag during deer season, possibly, but it's still up to him to prove you were hunting deer and that is impossible to prove unless you have a deer with you.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game:

■Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer
    This is the general regs

So you can have 1 in the chamber and 5 in the magazine. Also with a bolt action that accept magazines like the Mossberg MVP. If you wanted to hunt deer with a 30 round mag then you can. Whether it is public land or not. Hogs on private land it doesn't matter but if you hunt hogs on WMA that matters because they are considered a "game animal".

Example here is Blackwater: 11.Hunting with full automatic or silencer-equipped firearms, centerfire semi-automatic rifles having a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds, explosive or drug-injecting devices and set guns is prohibited.

Notice how it doesn't say anything about hogs, deer, or coyotes. You can't use more than 5 rounds in a mag period with a semi auto on this WMA.

So in your case if you hunt public land check your WMA regs

Now these were all pulled from Florida regs not Alabama.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/nw/blackwater/

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Some drunk is writing the rules and there is no need for different rules in different WMA's, make it standard, the FWC is not even sure of their rules.

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some drunk is writing the rules and there is no need for different rules in different WMA's, make it standard, the FWC is not even sure of their rules.

Agreed. Then there is the north of/south of I-10 thing....it can't be standard across a whole county, that'd be too easy.

Our conversation eventually led to the "what can a game warden prove" during certain seasons. So, realistically, even though it's legal to have a 30 round mag when hunting hogs during deer season (not counting WMA's), it's probably best to just use the 5 rounders in case that 10 point shows up in your sights.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well during deer season on my private property I keep a 5rd in the 6.8 but before or after deer shooting times I replace that w a 10 which is my standard Hog Mag. The sweet thing about Digital Nigh vision is the ability to use during the day and not have to switch guns or sights. I do tend to use the 16" barrel for deer and the 8.5" pistol for Hogs. To me WMA's are too confusing w rules and too many inexperienced hunters so i stay away unless I am taken by someone that knows the area.

Ran into a friend who hunted w a FWC biologist who said they are allowing baiting of hogs and night hunting on WMA's now but I have not seen a rule change. I wrote FWC but as usual no one knows and no answer.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed. Then there is the north of/south of I-10 thing....it can't be standard across a whole county, that'd be too easy.

Our conversation eventually led to the "what can a game warden prove" during certain seasons. So, realistically, even though it's legal to have a 30 round mag when hunting hogs during deer season (not counting WMA's), it's probably best to just use the 5 rounders in case that 10 point shows up in your sights.

Actually I carry the regs with me and highlight them so when an uneducated game warden tries to say one thing that is NOT the reg or law. I can back myself up. Thats why when I am stop by any person that enforces the law I video tape everything. Now a days you have to watch out for yourself and those are the best ways.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That is what has stopped me from hunting an fishing in Florida; particularly Eglin. The Eglin range fishing got ridiculous when they started making different rules on size etc. for different ponds.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well during deer season on my private property I keep a 5rd in the 6.8 but before or after deer shooting times I replace that w a 10 which is my standard Hog Mag. The sweet thing about Digital Nigh vision is the ability to use during the day and not have to switch guns or sights. I do tend to use the 16" barrel for deer and the 8.5" pistol for Hogs. To me WMA's are too confusing w rules and too many inexperienced hunters so i stay away unless I am taken by someone that knows the area.

Ran into a friend who hunted w a FWC biologist who said they are allowing baiting of hogs and night hunting on WMA's now but I have not seen a rule change. I wrote FWC but as usual no one knows and no answer.

Here you go. I'll answer that question for you :)

Wild Hog-Dog Season:

July 4-6, 18-20, August 1-3, 15-17, September 5-7, 19-21, 2014; and May 1-3, 15-17, June 5-7 and 19-21, 2015.

Permit, Stamp and License Requirements - Management area permit.
    Legal to Hunt - Wild hog.
    Regulations Unique to the Wild Hog-dog Season -

1.Hunts begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday morning and end at midnight Sunday evening.
    2.Wild hogs may be taken during the day or at night by the aid of a light with dogs and a firearm provided that no wild hog shall be shot during the period from ½ hour after sunset until ½ hour before sunrise until bayed by dogs. The hunting of wild hogs under this provision by display or use of a light from a moving vehicle, boat or animal is prohibited.
    3.Hunting wild hog during the daytime between½ hour before sunrise and ½ hour after sunset is prohibited in that portion of the area south of State Road 4 and west of County Road 191

Now that is Blackwater.

Wild Hog-Dog Season:
    July 18-20, August 15-17, September 19-21, 2014; and May 15-17, June 19-21, 2015.

Permit, Stamp and License Requirements - Management area permit.

Legal to Hunt - Wild hog.

Regulations Unique to Wild Hog-dog Season - Wild hog may be taken during the day or at night by aid of a light with dogs and a firearm, provided that no wild hog shall be shot at night until bayed by dogs. The hunting of wild hog under this provision by display or use of a light from a moving vehicle, boat or animal is prohibited.

That is Blackwaters Hutton Unit.

Last edited:

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually I carry the regs with me and highlight them so when an uneducated game warden tries to say one thing that is NOT the reg or law. I can back myself up. Thats why when I am stop by any person that enforces the law I video tape everything. Now a days you have to watch out for yourself and those are the best ways.

That's just a darn good idea, especially the filming part. If/when I start hunting on WMA's, I plan to do the same. I'm not too keen on hunting the WMA's, but you gotta use what you have a your disposal. That is of course, unless someone needs some company on their land....I could provide the post hunt beverages.:tea:

It is pretty unnerving at how confusing all the different rules and regs are. These guys have hunted for quite some time and they still thought that 5 rounds was the max no matter what; whether deer or hog, private land or public. Appreciate all of the input!

Top Bottom