• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't seem to get LC M80 to group less than 2 inches at 100 yards with any of my rifles that have a 20 inch or less barrel. Does anyone have a 20 inch or less barrel that is grouping any better at 100 yards with LC M80?

Last edited:

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I have a M1-A and 4 bolt action rifles in .308. I have tried all of the brand name .308 FMJ/M80 over the years, 2 MOA is about as good as it gets. Remember M80 was/is not made for bullseye/target shooting.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a M1-A and 4 bolt action rifles in .308. I have tried all of the brand name .308 FMJ/M80 over the years, 2 MOA is about as good as it gets. Remember M80 was/is not made for bullseye/target shooting.
    I'm kind of curious because I got some awesome result's from my 22 inch Mil-spec 5R REM 700 when using it as a control for 16 inch Ruger Scout Rifle. So I sent a few downrange from my 24 & 26 5R's with similar results. Since I'm currently yearning to add a 18 inch Scout Squad M1A to the small arms locker, I'm wondering what results folks with less than 22 inch barrels are obtaining? I understand and have proven that military ammo is tailored for specific parameters in twist rate, barrel length, etc.. yet the actual group sizes from 20+ inch 5R Stainless barrels that I'm getting are an anomaly that I can't explain. I can't duplicate the results with M80 other than the lot I have that was produced when Federal was in charge of Lake City. I don't believe that Winchester should have changed the Lake City formula for M80 when they took charge? But 20+ 5R results are tighter than expectations with this lot. ??? Could just be a luck of the draw, but the actual results of this lot in my 5R's are outstanding at the 100 yard KD. If I could duplicate these results in a 18 inch 6R M1A id have to set the remaining 2K rounds aside as WAR Reserve! (Refer to my green cigar thread for photographic comparison) One 5R Rifle one time, dumb luck. 3 5R Rifles three different times, perhaps it's a node?

Last edited:

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I have a 24in 5R. But I have to admit I’ve only shot Match ammo out of it. Any Ball loads were to break in the barrel.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 24in 5R. But I have to admit I’ve only shot Match ammo out of it. Any Ball loads were to break in the barrel.
    I have to admit that I'm in total agreement with you. I usually save those Battle Packs of bimetal overseas made M80 for the first ten round break in while cleaning and cooling after each round in the barrel break in. But since I had the Ruger Scout Rifle out for it's trial run I decided that it was a good time for a little tinkering/ comparison. But without something to compare it to it was a useless experiment. The actual results got me curious. Now I'm not going to replace my War Reserves of 175 SMK'S for the bolt action 5R's with even this lot of LC M80, but I'd have liked to got results like this from any lot of M80 during my time in service. Smiley Face. Post in thread 'Green cigars and rifle stocks.' https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/threads/green-cigars-and-rifle-stocks.92258/post-779496

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, since we have a lot of members that grew up with AR's in their hands, and most of those recommend 18 inch AR builds or less, yet they are the experienced. What results do the most experienced members of the forum have with M80 and 20 inch or less barrels have to pass? Old Folks experienced with platforms other than AR's may not be of relevance to folks nowadays. But perhaps that field experience could still be relevant? YMMV? Awaiting those nowadays experienced folks response? Thanks.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    In all honesty, only accuracy tests with M80 or 150r ball was done with my iron sighted M1-A at 100 and 200 yds. I shot a few CMP type matches at 200 yds. On my best days I got 2-3 MOA. Still with 150gr ball my Rem700’s/Steyr SSG hitting steel up to 600 was rather easy. (Bench/sandbags).
    I got reliable hits a little past 400-450 yds out at Element with my M1-A and Aguila 150gr Ball.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Can't remember which dip shit num nuts potus stopped 1x military brass from being sold on the civilian market , but I've got a friend, a retired SCPO USN that taught marksmanship at the "small boat and barge school.
    To the point , M-80 brass once processed works well for reloading , in first , an M1A, and now some long barrel 308 AR's

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't remember which dip shit num nuts potus stopped 1x military brass from being sold on the civilian market , but I've got a friend, a retired SCPO USN that taught marksmanship at the "small boat and barge school.
    To the point , M-80 brass once processed works well for reloading , in first , an M1A, and now some long barrel 308 AR's
    Upgrade powder, primer, and projectile it can become the equivalent of M118LR.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My 7.62x51 rifles are for fun, so no extensive long range testing has been done with M80 type ammo with a scope. However, I do have different lots of M80. Taking my LRB M14SA, there was definitely different accuracy with different lots and headstamps of factory M80. Thus I wrote down which grouped better. I also found accuracy with M80 bullets could be improved over factory ammo by hand loading. There are a lot of variables to potentially deal with. I deal with enough to get the results I want and use the ammo/components I have on hand.

Top Bottom