• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cant decide on what kinda scope I want on my springfield M-14 I will be useing it for hunting/long range shooting. So does anybody have one and uses it for the same thing and has recommendation?

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd recommend a 3-9 if you looking to use it for a hunting rifle. Something with a little longer range for bench shooting.

You could also do something like a 5-20x for an in between mixture

Using Tapatalk 2, I'm too lazy to log in via my phone

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Springfield Armory 4X14X56 Gen III on mine, before the canoeing accident. IMHO there's only one scope for that rifle, a Leupold 4X14X56 Tactical.

Rick

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A real M-14? Or a M1A? Is your scope mount over the receiver? Part of the strip Clip?

My SOCOM

100_0634.jpg

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey, if you can afford the rifle............................................

But I'd say you need at least a 50mm objective and 12X power. I'm not a hunter so I can't say there but for target shooting give me size and power. You can always dial down power, can't dial up past it's limit. You can even see your heart beat in the scope when you're zoomed in on the target and ready to launch.

Rick

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My choice would be a Schmidt&Bender 24x 56mm. I have one on my GA precision .338......or you could just trade me something for the 32x Pentax I have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M-308 4-16x42 BDC 800 from nikon is what i have desided on has anybody used this r should i keep looking???

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have a standard type M-1A or one of those blasphemous SOCOMs?

Rick

Attachments

• 300px-SA_M1A_NM.jpg
      300px-SA_M1A_NM.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 121

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Without knowing the bloodlines of the firearm it is difficult to guess accuracy potential and decide if you should invest in good glass. The Mount iSingle or double screws also important.

If its some Polytech with a mix of US and other parts just slap a 3X9 x 40 and be done. A better quality firearm could use a better Glass.

I had a early Federal SA-14 ($599) that was sub MOA right out of the box with a crap mil trigger. It had the wood stock with the selector notch filled in. Only had a single screw receiver scope mount back then. I used a B Square mount but had to modify it to be level AND in line with bore (L to R) when mounted. Also drilled the knob and mount so after tightening I could safety wire it in place as recoil would back it off.

Redfield 2X7 Accutrack with rangefinder and BDC worked great for my bush and field hunting.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recommend you shoot Iron Sights for a few months so you really get to know the firearm. Once you mount a scope (even a QD), you will ignore the Irons. Don't just shoot at 100 meters at zero, work the adjustments and make sure the results reflect what you expected. For battle site zero with a 180g bullet: you should hit 2.2 inches high at 50 yards and 4.45 high at 100 yards (most ranges are not set up in meters).

A B Square mount $95. This mount allows the iron sights to be used while mounted. I did not have any problems with brass hangups from mount.
    Scope: Unless you are well experienced shooter and plan to spend a lot of time shooting beyond 600 meters, A good quality 3X9 will serve you well. If it has a parallax adjustment great.

Tacticool gizmos abound. Range finding, Bullet drop compensation, Mil dot reticle, Illuminated reticle, target knobs, built in level and so on. Lets say we have a retail price of $300. Every manufacturing dollar that goes to "gizmos" is one less dollar on the quality of glass, glass coatings, shock resistance, waterproofing and repeatable positive adjustments that will last. So do you want $100 glass and $200 dollars in gizmo scope? Your choice.

Here you go Class Glass at a very good price:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/410144/leupold-vx-1-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-duplex-reticle-matte

Shop around and you will find good prices.

At the range I always have to choke back a laugh when I see Joe Civ with evil advertised "Sniper Platform XXX" and a "StalkerForceHawkSWATRecon Elite Scope" made in China buy Mi Lo Bid. I will not even get into Tacticool Users shooting positions and non use of a sling while shooting. Some of you will understand this.

Semper Fi,
    WR

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have had it for 4 years and i have shot it alot with irons

Well you have probably found the load that delivers good groups. Buy a mount. Pick a scope to meet your actual needs. Buy rings to put them together. Remember
    rings must be tall enough so front lens housing does not block view of Irons. Bore-sight if avail. shoot a round. Check all mounting screws. Now shoot and adjust to desired zero. Slipmark all mounting hardware so you know if anything shakes loose. If mount knob(s) backoff you may want to drill and safetywire it.

Good Luck.
    WR

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lil dab of clear nail polish on the screw threads will solve the backing out issue. And its removable with a heat gun...unlike loctite.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have a standard type M-1A or one of those blasphemous SOCOMs?

Rick

HAHAHA,,,, Col. Jeff Cooper asked for it, SA designed it, I need a scout rifle and this fits the bill. And they didn't even have to change the design.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recommend you shoot Iron Sights for a few months so you really get to know the firearm. Once you mount a scope (even a QD), you will ignore the Irons. Don't just shoot at 100 meters at zero, work the adjustments and make sure the results reflect what you expected. For battle site zero with a 180g bullet: you should hit 2.2 inches high at 50 yards and 4.45 high at 100 yards (most ranges are not set up in meters).

A B Square mount $95. This mount allows the iron sights to be used while mounted. I did not have any problems with brass hangups from mount.
    Scope: Unless you are well experienced shooter and plan to spend a lot of time shooting beyond 600 meters, A good quality 3X9 will serve you well. If it has a parallax adjustment great.

Tacticool gizmos abound. Range finding, Bullet drop compensation, Mil dot reticle, Illuminated reticle, target knobs, built in level and so on. Lets say we have a retail price of $300. Every manufacturing dollar that goes to "gizmos" is one less dollar on the quality of glass, glass coatings, shock resistance, waterproofing and repeatable positive adjustments that will last. So do you want $100 glass and $200 dollars in gizmo scope? Your choice.

Here you go Class Glass at a very good price:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/410144/leupold-vx-1-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-duplex-reticle-matte

Shop around and you will find good prices.

At the range I always have to choke back a laugh when I see Joe Civ with evil advertised "Sniper Platform XXX" and a "StalkerForceHawkSWATRecon Elite Scope" made in China buy Mi Lo Bid. I will not even get into Tacticool Users shooting positions and non use of a sling while shooting. Some of you will understand this.

Semper Fi,
    WR

Agreed, I've tried a LER scope, a reflex and a red dot, but ended up going with the irons as I couldn't keep the others zeroed from the recoil.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed, I've tried a LER scope, a reflex and a red dot, but ended up going with the irons as I couldn't keep the others zeroed from the recoil.

Mine was a single knob mount and I did not want to modify the receiver for the double knob. I was hand loading and was about 10% below max was the sweet mix. Knob would back-off in 10 shots! After I drilled the knob and mount then safety wired it, it held zero.

Top Bottom