• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi everyone. I need some advice. I am looking for a metal 9mm to be used primarily as a range gun, and possibly for competition (not really sure what format of competition yet). After research my number one pick is the CZ SP-01. Right now all of my guns are "plastic guns, Glocks, Kahrs, Walther). I really like them, but just want a metal gun for something different.
    So my questions are;
    Is the CZ 75 B a good alternative to the SP-01, or would you hold off for the SP-01?
    What are other handguns I should look at?
    I would like to get something locally. For some reason I just don't like the idea of ordering online
    Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Gio

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Look at the Tanfo in the sales section. It's about as good as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had several CZ's, including the two you're asking about. You'll be happy with either one. You might notice a difference between the two if you shot them side-by-side, but I doubt it. Take note of the frame shape, though. The SP-01 has a different beavertail than the 75B, but both are very comfortable.

For competition use, my recommendation depends on which discipline you're interested in. For IDPA, a 75B is more versatile between divisions. For USPSA, they are both equally versatile. If you'd like a better explanation, I can go into more detail.

If you want to make the trigger better on a CZ, your best bet is to go with the safety version over the decocker. Both can be made much better than factory, but the parts for the safety trigger are more widespread than the decocker trigger.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had several CZ's, including the two you're asking about. You'll be happy with either one. You might notice a difference between the two if you shot them side-by-side, but I doubt it. Take note of the frame shape, though. The SP-01 has a different beavertail than the 75B, but both are very comfortable.

For competition use, my recommendation depends on which discipline you're interested in. For IDPA, a 75B is more versatile between divisions. For USPSA, they are both equally versatile. If you'd like a better explanation, I can go into more detail.

If you want to make the trigger better on a CZ, your best bet is to go with the safety version over the decocker. Both can be made much better than factory, but the parts for the safety trigger are more widespread than the decocker trigger.

Hi Jeep,
    I appreciate your advice, and do have a question about the competition restrictions. I have an opportunity to buy an sp01 from a forum member which has been upgraded, with of sights, and extensive trigger work. It has also been converted to SA only.
    I have never done competitions before, but shoot a lot, and think I might want to get into it. How would the upgrades, especially the SA only effect the classes I could shoot in.
    Thank you, very much, for your time.
    Gio

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hi Jeep,
    I appreciate your advice, and do have a question about the competition restrictions. I have an opportunity to buy an sp01 from a forum member which has been upgraded, with of sights, and extensive trigger work. It has also been converted to SA only.
    I have never done competitions before, but shoot a lot, and think I might want to get into it. How would the upgrades, especially the SA only effect the classes I could shoot in.
    Thank you, very much, for your time.
    Gio

Fiber optic sights and trigger work are good. Make sure the trigger work still results in reliability with your preferred ammo. Some of the lighter hammer springs require Federal primers.

So in looking into the newly updated IDPA rules, my earlier statement about the 75B being more versatile may not be true. They took out the rule that influenced that scenario in the past.

My first question would be whether or not the seller has the parts to convert the gun back to DA/SA. SAO conversion prevents it from being legal in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production divisions. It's not difficult to convert back, but it will cost some money and some potential part fitting if the seller no longer has those parts.

In IDPA, a DA/SA SP-01 is legal in SSP and ESP. SSP starts hammer down and ESP can start cocked on safe. I believe an SAO converted gun will still be legal in ESP.

In USPSA, a DA/SA SP-01 is legal for Production division, but SAO is not. In SAO form, it can be used in Limited, but the small frame and 9mm will put you at a disadvantage (not a big deal when you're just starting out, but will limit you if you start to become competitive).

To put it simply, a DA/SA SP-01 is best suited for Production division in USPSA and SSP division in IDPA. It can also work very well in IDPA ESP (magwells and other modifications are allowed in ESP, so you'll need to factor in those extra costs if you wanted to take advantage of those allowances).

Last edited:

Monad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I buy American manufactured guns when I can. For 1911, so many good options, going off continent seems reckless, at best.

I recently lost my mind over a Detonics combo.. Baer, Springfield, Colt, Wesson, Ruger, Remington, Sig, Kimber.. been seeing so many good deals right now. Seems like with the awesome November, folk are looking at upgrading their arsenal and selling off unloved items..

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I buy American manufactured guns when I can. For 1911, so many good options, going off continent seems reckless, at best.
    I have to respectfully disagree on that one a bit. Off continent offerings have gotten a whole lot better in recent years than way back when. Couple their new found ability to create reliable guns with good ergos, and very high capacity magazines and low price... you can get a Canik VP9SF to run a Remington RP9 into the ground. This is just an example and not all inclusive of course. Check out this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg
    I would buy American every chance I got if I could but we gotta make some innovative changes in design, manufacture and QC before we can be on top again. No question we dominate the 1911 market though. Made in PI may be reliable 1911's but doesn't hold a match to the likes of Springfields, Kimbers, Colts, etc.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi everyone. I need some advice. I am looking for a metal 9mm to be used primarily as a range gun, and possibly for competition (not really sure what format of competition yet). After research my number one pick is the CZ SP-01. Right now all of my guns are "plastic guns, Glocks, Kahrs, Walther). I really like them, but just want a metal gun for something different.
    So my questions are;
    Is the CZ 75 B a good alternative to the SP-01, or would you hold off for the SP-01?
    What are other handguns I should look at?
    I would like to get something locally. For some reason I just don't like the idea of ordering online
    Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Gio

Beretta 92fs or M9. Can't go wrong.

Monad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agreed on QC and other bits where US companies may be skimping or falling behind..

I was just talking more in the "I buy American" whenever I can, over goods not manufactured in the US" kind of way. If I get 99% there with an American made/ manufactured product, I feel like I'm supporting American workers and I'll overlook a rough edge here and there..

From what Giotire seemed to be looking for- metal range 9mm- I was suggesting that @pples were in fact apples and based on that and my 'feelings', I'd buy an American made option by far and away, hands down, 'blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.' over any other foreign made option... not just AMERICAN HQ'd companies but any global company (Glock, Sig, HK) who puts back into America by operating local business and manufacturing units, to push the goods they sell to us. I rarely let my $ go off shore to companies who don't. :D

snakeoil1227

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own a Browning BDM in 9 MM.....best pistol I own! Cost is around 5-6 hundred bucks, and well worth it....shoots most anything(bullets)....I have had this pistol since the mid '80s.... when they first came out...BDM stands for double mode, which is single or double action by twisting a set screw...works like a charm...I don't think anyone else make this type pistol..

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One small thing with upgrades that can bite you...
    remember about 10 years ago a fella was running
    an "Upgraded Glock" at the ERML range, dropped it,
    and it shot him in the guts when it hit the ground...

Why? Because he had the "Gunsmith" remove the drop safety.

Did it save lock time? Who cares??
    It fired and hit him when he dropped it!!
    Even worse, it could have hit someone OTHER than the owner.
    Which would have been a real tragedy.

So, please always be careful about what you do to your guns,
    and please don't remove any safety features.
    The folks around you can't afford it.

By the way, the schmuck survived...
    but it could have ended in a far worse way quite easily...

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have the SP01 safety version. It was great gun right out of the box - but because several of the forum members are a bad influence I just got it back from Cajun Gun Works. Now the trigger is incredible if both SA and DA. My only comment is that it is almost the same cost to convert the SP01 (from either Cajun or CZ customs) as it is to buy the CZ shadow.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Super sweet gun, but I couldn't afford it from ya at the moment, scooped up a XDM 3.8 full size that cleaned out most of the piggy bank for the moment. Someday I will dive into an all steel CZ. I have a P09 and dig the omega trigger and have the decocker only installed at the moment as I have occasionally tripped a safety or two in the past. CZ makes some of the best bang for your buck pistols in my opinion, super well engineered, minimal MIM and replacement parts are almost all under 15 bucks for anything that might ever break.
    And if you are MIL/LE or first responder, the prices are ridiculous cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom