• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feel The Need

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question, having an armadillo problem. Looking at picking up a little air rifle, Crosman silent .177 at walmart for $76. Have a 22 but can't seem to find any sub-sonic rounds. fps is about the same for the . any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm a fighter in the Dillo Wars, North Milton Area of Operations (NMAO). Got my 14th confirmed kill early this morning. They are tough critters. Need to hit the central nervous system for a DRT (Dead Right There) kill. I've had the best luck when the dillo is either directly facing me or directly facing away. That way the bullet gets to travel the length of the body, making it more likely to cause extensive damage. This morning's one went about 100yd before I could corner and finish it off. It didn't help that the cartridge case failed to extract so I couldn't shoot as I ran after it.

This was my first confirmed kill, not the one from this morning...I stopped photographing the kills.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Living in a close housing neighborhood I catch them in live traps, then out comes the gamo 177 to the head then I run because they jump an sling blood, walmart bags to get the body out an in garbage!!!!!!

Feel The Need

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    dillo's

L
    I like the trap idea better, can't see my big a** running after an armadillo. It would probably end up on youtube. LOL anywhere to rent traps or do I need to invest in a couple. Thanks, Rick

Living in a close housing neighborhood I catch them in live traps, then out comes the gamo 177 to the head then I run because they jump an sling blood, walmart bags to get the body out an in garbage!!!!!!

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple of .177 pellets rifles I'll loan you or give you a few rounds of .22 LR subsonic.
    Live in Tiger Point

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I had one a while back, bought a trap and could not catch him.
    I tried the boards in a V shape leading to the trap and never caught him. I guess he left on his own.

Feel The Need

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DaBreeze I appreciate that, I live not far from you in live oak. Give me a call at 850-232-3460. I would be happy to buy a few rounds from you.'m putting an order together from the website listed in the thread, so I can replace what I get from you or buy them straight out. What ever you are comfortable with. Rick

I have a couple of .177 pellets rifles I'll loan you or give you a few rounds of .22 LR subsonic.
    Live in Tiger Point

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    also gonna get a trap as well, it stays awake all night better than me. lol

Get a driveway alarm and set the detectors where the armadillos are in your yard...they will wake you when the dillo's are there. On the other hand, dogs, possums, and cats will give a false alarm.

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wondering, are they a nuisance? What do they do?

Not tryin to play tree hugger, just never heard of issues aside from bloody tires.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Academy has Aguila Super Colibre ammo with no gun powder so it sounds like a bb gun. They also had some 60gr 22lr last time I was there. Tractor supply carries a 2 set of traps for about $35

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FTN, Lowes also has the cage-type traps if that's what you're after. Good luck.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sometimes when you think its a dillo , it turns out to be a possum, caught 6 in 3 months, they dig up yard as well, I take poss to woods an let go!!!!

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just wondering, are they a nuisance? What do they do?

Not tryin to play tree hugger, just never heard of issues aside from bloody tires.

Dig up the yard and plants looking for insects to eat. Knock over potted plants to dig under and around them. i was at one plant nursery in which the owner claimed they had done $10,000 in damage over the course of a year. Make holes that can cause injury if livestock step in them. Undermining your house, cement, drains.

Feel The Need

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    went to tractor supply and got the traps, also grub killer for the yard as well. No food maybe they will move on there own before I catch them. Thanks for all of the help.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dig up the yard and plants looking for insects to eat. Knock over potted plants to dig under and around them. i was at one plant nursery in which the owner claimed they had done $10,000 in damage over the course of a year. Make holes that can cause injury if livestock step in them. Undermining your house, cement, drains.

We're having a big problem with them at the airport on the grass runway. One or two holes aren't a problem but a bunch close together followed by a good rain and you have a big problem for aircraft with small diameter tires.

At my last house I had one dig at the base of a power pole on the side the long cable run went to. By the time I left there that pole was leaning at about 70° and getting worse.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    went to tractor supply and got the traps, also grub killer for the yard as well. No food maybe they will move on there own before I catch them. Thanks for all of the help.

Good luck. They destroyed the catch em alive traps I bought at Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight. I'd catch them, but they'd dig and dig at the trap overnight until they bent some of the metal and got out. Put trap along edge of fence or wall, and they will walk along fence in dark and right into the trap. I went to a seminar on pests at the Milton county extension office and listened to the "experts" tell how to catch them. I then got up and asked the audience to raise their hands on how many had dillos destroy their traps...lots of hands went up. The experts said they'd never heard of that before.

Top Bottom