• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Is it just me or do others have trouble shooting these "no safety" handguns accurately ? I can shoot a revolver with a hammer a whole lot better. Or something like a 1911. Anything with a short trigger.
    Do you guys practice a lot to get better or just write it off to "It's not a target gun, not designed to touch holes on a target."
    I mean, I can hit the target but the group is not anything to write home about.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It definitely takes practice to shoot a long trigger pull well. I have a Ruger LCP and LCR, which both have long trigger pulls. The LCR's trigger is MUCH smoother and easier to shoot accurately, but the LCP can be just as accurate with practice. Some people like to stage the trigger. They pull it almost all the way back, make sure it is exactly on target, then finish pulling the trigger. I practice that way some, but mostly I practice making one smooth pull. I feel that the single smooth pull is more applicable to self defense situations.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am horrible with long trigger pulls. So I don't own any with long trigger pulls. I'll stick to the glock and my Walther PPS. Short crisp triggers and no external safety either.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My carry gun, a Glock, is a center of mass shooter and that is all I practice, not groups on paper with touching holes, that is a different handgun...so maybe it is what purpose the gun will be used for??

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A center of Mass. shooter huh Frank, what gun do you use in the outskirts of N.J.?
    I really don't care for DA only guns either.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My carry gun, a Glock, is a center of mass shooter and that is all I practice, not groups on paper with touching holes, that is a different handgun...so maybe it is what purpose the gun will be used for??

Other than the word "Glock", I agree with Frank. I do not care if I can't get a pretty group with my carry gun. Most any handgun will shoot minute of bad guy at self defense distances. If I want to play with groups, I'll drag out a 1911 or Model 629.

Side note. Nothing against Glocks. I just don't own one.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang that was a quick reply, what you got a bell hooked up that when ever your name is typed in it goes off??

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John you can shoot mine anytime.

I'll take you up on that someday just so I can say I have shot a Glock. It's hard to believe that I have never touched one. No hate, just never had the need.

I have found the love of my life anyway...

gallery-xds08.jpg

and it does not have a long trigger pull.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had revolvers and DA with long trigger pulls , I polished up the triggers and got used to it. If you shoot a revolver, it is what it is. Jerry Meculek showed me a DA can be fast......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

The problem most shooters have is that they think they have to pull the trigger all the way back and then let it all the way go(even taking their finger off the trigger) and then all the way back again, etc,,,,you don't. You pull it 'til it breaks and let up 'til it resets, that's it.

One trick I learned is to take a pencil eraser and glue it behind the trigger (on the frame)and then trim it down, so that the trigger hits it, but doesn't break, but if you squeeze just a little more, it breaks. That helps a long trigger pull alot.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Well, that makes me feel better. I can hit a pie plate at 10 yards, just not a great group.
    Actually I consider a Glock a long trigger pull. I've got a G19 but it's not exactly a target pistol (in my hands). They are great guns though. Never failed.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The problem most shooters have is that they think they have to pull the trigger all the way back and then let it all the way go(even taking their finger off the trigger) and then all the way back again, etc,,,,you don't. You pull it 'til it breaks and let up 'til it resets, that's it.

On my LCR, you do have to let up almost completely off the trigger to get it to reset. I had to train myself not to short stroke it because I was used to just barely letting up before pulling the trigger again. The trigger is the best factory double action I've ever shot, but I wish the reset was shorter.

One trick I learned is to take a pencil eraser and glue it behind the trigger (on the frame)and then trim it down, so that the trigger hits it, but doesn't break, but if you squeeze just a little more, it breaks. That helps a long trigger pull alot.

I did something similar to my SA XD years ago. I cut a small dot out of a hard rubber washer and glued it behind the trigger. It would fire before hitting the rubber, but the washer helped reduce the overtravel significantly.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well, that makes me feel better. I can hit a pie plate at 10 yards, just not a great group.
    Actually I consider a Glock a long trigger pull. I've got a G19 but it's not exactly a target pistol (in my hands). They are great guns though. Never failed.

LOL same here...For bench shooting I am getting a different gun. Look at the competitions, they are hitting an area not putting holes in holes. I think a target pistol is a different animal than a self defense gun..eyes getting too old so I hit what I shoot at just not touching holes...

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am convienced that when ever two holes touch on my targets it is purely an coincidance.
    Hey frank can me and Stan have those two slots at the hunt lease?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remamber also....that 1/2 inch of take up, to the tune of 10+lbs, is considered a safety feature. It is there for a purpose. --- SAWMAN

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll take you up on that someday just so I can say I have shot a Glock. It's hard to believe that I have never touched one. No hate, just never had the need.

I have found the love of my life anyway...

gallery-xds08.jpg

and it does not have a long trigger pull.

Ccan't wait to get my hands on one of those boys in 9mm

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

You need those tight groups when shooting zombies cause you need to hit them between the eyes. But for humans and animals that paper plate is about the same size as the heart and lung area. Maybe iffin you tote a 22 pistol you need - 1 moa cause you need to shoot em in the eyeball. LOL

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Funny thing, the first time I shot my LCP, 5 shots produced one ragged hole. There was one flier about an inch and a half from the ragged hole.
    I thought I had hit the mother lode. Finally a carry gun that I can shoot like a target pistol. Haven't been able to duplicate that feat since. Not even close.
    I did keep the target though and it's on my office wall.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom