• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Post A pic of the classification label and the date of manufacture, and be ready to take a lashing if its over 5 years old..... Matter of fact be prepared to take a lashing if you don't post that pic...

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It's not worth anything if it is out of date. Not being an asshole but this really strikes a nerve with me. I was wearing a level 3a that was only 2 years old and standard 9mm penetrated the ballistic panels twice, and almost killed me. I have been a part of major studies in different body armors, for different manufactures, and attorneys. It is unacceptable to try and pass this off as a protective vest when it is expired, or has been properly fitted to a particular individual. After the 6-7 year mark the material has been proven to break down. Add moisture from sweat, and weather and this process is accelerated. Besides, I have an in with a couple of manufactures, if anyone feels the need to wear a vest when they are out in public then get with me. I will get you a deal on a professionally measured, brand new level 3a vest with level 4 trauma plates if your worried about being shot with a high powered rifle. If you have any questions sir google my name, Jeremy Cassady.... Good luck trying to pedal this trash, way to ruin your rep.....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The dates on body armour and the expiration dates on milk is about the same. Only the milk is more real. Of course you cannot die from a drink of badly expired milk.

Re. body armour..never could figure out that on saaaaayyyy....December 14,2012 it will save your life but the morning of December15,2012 it will allow you to die. --- SAWMAN

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The dates on body armour and the expiration dates on milk is about the same. Only the milk is more real. Of course you cannot die from a drink of badly expired milk.

Re. body armour..never could figure out that on saaaaayyyy....December 14,2012 it will save your life but the morning of December15,2012 it will allow you to die. --- SAWMAN

The law requires it to actually work for 10years,meaning that if your vest fails within 10years of manufacture you have a liability suit on your hands. Vest manufactureing companies are required to cut the 10 years in half thus gives a five year safety buffer in case of failure. Most ballistic materials start to wear, and break down after the 6 year mark. This doesn't mean that it won't stop a bullet, however is mainly a guideline. A vest made in 2000 lack the ballistic material and technology to last even ten years, and would pose a great danger to anyone wearing it.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I no longer have a desire to wear body armor again. I'm not in the line of fire as I was every day for several years. Sounds crazy but I'm pretty sure I've used up all my luck, if they want you they WILL get you no matter if you live in an iron bubble or if you are walking the streets unarmed. I am willing to take my chances, they have no reason to hate me anymore..... My heart is right with the ones that matter, but I'm still not gonna go easy.....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What am I obviously missing ?? What is the application for a "regular guy" wearing body armor ?? Would not a dose of situational awareness and even a small dose of training be more useful ??

Hey...wear a vest if it does anything at all for you(or not)...just want to be enlightened. --- SAWMAN

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What am I obviously missing ?? What is the application for a "regular guy" wearing body armor ?? Would not a dose of situational awareness and even a small dose of training be more useful ??

Hey...wear a vest if it does anything at all for you(or not)...just want to be enlightened. --- SAWMAN

I agree Saw, unless you are working security, a cop, military, range officer, or a crack dealer living a questionable life. You have no reason to wear body armor. Situational awareness goes a long way. The adverage guy with a job, and a family is not going to do his evning walk in Oakwood terrace, or in Mayfair. Even with a gun you are asking to have to use it, and when you put yourself in a position to have to use a weapon to defend yourself you are no longer defending yourself.....
    People that wear body armor as a daily ritual are paranoid. Crime happens, if you live a decent life, and stay in decent areas then you have nothing to worry about. 99.999999999% of these home envasions, and the majority of other crimes are either motivated by drugs or drug money. In other words its shit bag on shitbag, unless you are a shitbag you don't need a vest.....

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you guys think that having some body armor has any place in a SHTF situation?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Possibly but are you going to wear it all the time, every day? Probably not and it will not be handy when you do need it. It it not something that will be high on my list.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ian, to answer your question ---> If my phone rang and the guy on the other end invited me to a inside the house,inside a bank,etc, type of gunfight I would grab a vest. IN a SHTF type of deal,on the wide open streets,in the woods..... no way. For this you are probably talking battle rifles anyway and we all know how a vest works with them. Show me a guy that will stand their with a vest...EVEN with a plate....and let me take a shot at him with a M855. I'll put the bullet 1/4 inch off the edge of the smallish plate and see if that makes his day. The regular guy that feels the need to wear a vest is OK with me. Not for me though. --- SAWMAN

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed on both accounts that it isn't something that I would pack if I were hitting the road in a SHTF situation...

On the other hand if I am knowingly going into a firefight, (don't ask me what kind of boyish fantasy I have in mind there) I would rather wear one, than not wear one.

I have a couple of old vests that I got cheap a while back. I don't think that they have any realistic purpose, and I don't wear them under my Polo shirt at the office, but I'll keep them in the closet just in case.

Probably falls under the category of a "more money than sense" sort of purchase when it comes down to it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Better to have than have not. Also remembering that a out of date vest will probably stop 90% of the bullets that are likely to be coming your way from the inexperienced,ballistically challenged,or the street thugs and good ol' boys. That is....if they even manage to hit you.

Name of the game is always move. I have been in on some tests done with paint ball equipment. It is especially amazing how many fairly good shooters CANNOT hit someone if they are moving. A street thug with their fo-tay turned sideways will quite easily be killed by me. The shooters that practice flat footed will probably take a rd or three. If your shooting you should be moving. --- SAWMAN

blazein

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting moving reloading as the old saying goes you my die from your own gun but they will have to beat you to death with it as it will be empty

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Better to have than have not. Also remembering that a out of date vest will probably stop 90% of the bullets that are likely to be coming your way from the inexperienced,ballistically challenged,or the street thugs and good ol' boys. That is....if they even manage to hit you.

Name of the game is always move. I have been in on some tests done with paint ball equipment. It is especially amazing how many fairly good shooters CANNOT hit someone if they are moving. A street thug with their fo-tay turned sideways will quite easily be killed by me. The shooters that practice flat footed will probably take a rd or three. If your shooting you should be moving. --- SAWMAN

Curious as to how many shootings you have actually been involved in? How many people have you shot??? You sound like you speak from expirence with this post.....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Curious as to how long you were a deputy. Any prior law enforcement experience prior to the "latest". How about military. How many years in the military. Retired. How many people have you shot. How many times have you been shot. How many FELONY arrests did you make during your LEO career(s).

Of course I would never expect you to answer any of these questions on a public forum. To me it would not be proper forum etiquette to even ask. As you see in my above...NO question marks. If you make the decision to make your life an open book,that is your decission. Take my statements on this forum(or others)at face value.....OR NOT. You will have to make that decission on your own.

I am however interested in what part of my above do you not believe or have questions about ?? The moving while shooting part ?? The 90% part ?? The street thug part ?? I have trained with some of(who I consider) the very best, and these are the conclusions that I have (personally) came up with. To me,some of the above enter into the category of "common sense" training.

My equipment WILL NEVER fail. I will never be talking(or analyzing)when I should be moving and shooting. I am old but I still train. Self and family preservation is primary. Situational awareness is a big part of the battle.

I have never been a civilian LEO. I always felt that I could NEVER live by their rules,with their level of training,or their unions. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ok you run your mouth like you are Rambo... It is very ignorant to say that your weapon will never fail... Until you have looked a man in the face thought about what you were gonna have to do and then executed it. Don't speculate on what you would or wouldn't do. Situational awareness is a minuscule part of the battle, when you are actually in battle. Mindset is the most important part of battle by far. Sad part is you don't know it until you put a bullet in someone. Once again I must know how many times in your life have you looked at another human being knowing you had to take their life to stop Iimminent danger from happening? You are quick to judge, quick to say what you would do... Until you have done it, you don't know shit. I assure you that I have shot/been shot with twice the sims rounds you have, used a FATS numerous times, and been through more live fire shoot houses that you can find on the Internet. You cannot train on what you would do, or how you think you will act, you train to learn to react. Training is great but it ain't real unless you can die doing it....

Top Bottom