• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Memory foam sucks! Just like Sean said I am hot as hell at night!!! I have never sweat so damn much before, and you better make sure you and your spouse switch sides about every week or your side will be smushed down more. Then you have a big ass hill in the middle of the bed... It just sucks.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I flip from side to side during the night and memory foam traps me waking me up every time I try to move or even get out of bed, they need to burn them all

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We reupholstered my boss's Culver Cadet and he insisted on memory foam in the cushions. He flew it an hour and came back with his ass soaking wet. We had to pull them out and restuff. Yep, way too hot.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it has to do with the quality of the foam and how hard a mattress you get. My wife and I have back problems, we bought two of the Swedish hard foam mattresses, the hardest foam they have, they are about 12 inches thick and like sleeping on the floor, you do not sink into them at all, I like that a lot, they are really comfortable. I build a lot of heat when I sleep, like a stove, I can sleep under a sheet with the windows open in blowing snow and be comfortable, I have actually done that. But they put me in a soft foam mattress in the hospital last month and I about died, it was a miserable POS and with my prior back injury, it about killed my back with the upwards pressure on the spine.
    Ed

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wife and I bought a Beauty Rest mattress last fall, put a 4" Memory Foam topper from Costco on and it's been great. We had a Tempur-Pedic knock-off before that was friggen awesome but they got sued and shut down. While our current bed is not the same, the topper makes all the difference in the world. It is a firm mattress that gives a sold foundation while the topper somewhat conforms to your body.

One item that has helped a good bit is a mattress protector. It's basically a gore-tex sheet that allows the air to move through the topper while keeping "stuff" from hitting the mattress, sounds odd but works. Get the good ones, cheap protectors are like friggen plastic sheets. If you've got kids, pets, or a wife who drinks in bed, you need one.

Oh don't forget that many mattress companies return policy states ANY discoloration on the mattress kills the return policy.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i used to sell mattresses at Homeplace Furniture (now Hank's Fine Furniture)
    Latex pillowtop is where it's at, best when placed over a FIRM mattress.

Spring Air makes a darn good mattress, out of Birmingham, AL.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I spent a good part of my career traveling and came to really like Hampton Inn matresses...did some research and while I did not buy one, I did buy a Sealy and it cost a good bit of money, but it was a really really good investment! In my youth, I spent as little as possible on mattresses...now a coil mattress with firmness, independent springs is just the ticket. I am not a memory foam guy either. My wife just added some foam to her half and it works for her but I prefer the standard...no foam, no pillow top.

Dont forget to invest in a quality pillow either...makes a world of difference for me. Bed Bath and Beyond has a great selection. I take it with me when I can on trips. Also, a mattress that sleeps "cool" is important. Your body temp will rise as you sleep and some of that heat can get trapped/magnified in the mattress so ask the sales rep about options there....my $.02

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    My sister just bought a Temperpedic and it came with a "free" 35 quart Yeti cooler. Hopefully, I can talk her out of it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Is there a mattress that has some kind of fan/ blower/ventilation system built in ??
    I get hot at night also unless the inside temp is <65deg or so. ---SAWMAN

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only question I can give an opinion on is memory foam. I hate that stuff. Wife and I bought new bedding a couple of years ago and bought one with the memory foam top layer built in. Hotter than hell. I can't sleep if I'm not almost cold and especially my pillows and mattress. We took it back and went with something else. YMMV.

Sean is right .....From my experience anyway..
    I always said that they should have put those Memory Foam Mattresses in GITMO !!! Water boarding my ass...a couple of nights of those Goat Humpers sleeping on those and they would have told it all !!!
    Firstly they DO NOT make any mattress like they did decades ago....most of them seem to fall apart quickly....I bought a "Jamison" King....Talked them down a lot on the price....

The trick I was told by a factory rep regardless of what brand you buy...and this may sound weird and no salesperson ever tells anyone this .... is that when you change your sheets ...turn the mattress 1/4 turn !!! Only works with KING size though...for you shape challenged folks that is because it is the only mattress that is almost square....This prevents those Grand Canyon valleys in your mattress from happening...Don't even try to lift it...short turn and push it around with your knees ...I have had this Jamison for about 4 years...No valleys...No Sunken areas....and still sleeps like a dream !!! And if some of you folks only change your sheets quarterly....you still got to turn the damn mattress !!!

Lastly....think about it...You can go to any town...any state....any time of year...and there is a always a damn mattress sale going on somewhere !!! :suspicious:

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My king size is no where near square. However we do turn it 180deg. Can't flop it over because it is one of them freaking pillow tops. Will never (EVER !!) have another one of them. What an extreme POS it is.---SAWMAN

Last edited:

Tuck

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wife & I have both had back surgery. We had a king pillow top, but it sagged in the middle after a few years. Warranty on that stuff is a pain & we knew we needed something firmer anyway, so we ended up with a tempurpedic with all of the bells & whistles...cooler sleeping version too. It's been pretty good & it works well for watching tv in bed or reading since it raises up.

BTW, if you have back problems, your doc can write you a script for a new mattress...doesn't get you a whole lot, but does pretty much take care of taxes.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My king size is no where near square. However we do turn it 180deg. Can't flop it over because it is one of them freaking pillow tops. Will never (EVER !!) have another one of them. What an extreme POS it is.---SAWMAN

Sawman....You don't have one of those Commiefornia size king mattrasses do you !!! Yea I passed on the pillow top pitch ....and just got a regular looking mattress.

All I know is it will set a little different but it does keep the mattress from forming craters !!! Mattress industry ...just another commie plot .....

I think I am going to try and find a damn huge lazy susan and mount my mattress on it !!!

Last edited:

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there a mattress that has some kind of fan/ blower/ventilation system built in ??
    I get hot at night also unless the inside temp is <65deg or so. ---SAWMAN

Bedjet - I bought it when it was on Kickstarter for a little less, and I love it. I also take it with me when I travel. I sleep very hot - used to have a window AC in the bedroom and keep the temp at 60 to sleep. Now I leave the house AC at 72 and don't have any issue. Also, if you get the dual version, the wife can have heat while you have cold.

https://www.amazon.com/BedJet-Climate-Control-Cooling-Temperature/dp/B00TRFLWJW

Top Bottom