• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got about $2k in Sears gift cards, and decided we are going to buy a new mattress. Went in the local store today and was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. Memory foam, traditional coil, hybrid?!?! Gotta say this is getting to be more of a pain in the dick than new car shopping. They carry Beautyrest, Sealy and Sterns I believe. Anyone know anything about mattresses that could shed some light onto which brand is best out of the 3? The sales woman was pushing beautyrest but who knows if that is due to her commission. Can you haggle with a big box store like Sears?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only question I can give an opinion on is memory foam. I hate that stuff. Wife and I bought new bedding a couple of years ago and bought one with the memory foam top layer built in. Hotter than hell. I can't sleep if I'm not almost cold and especially my pillows and mattress. We took it back and went with something else. YMMV.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know that years ago one could haggle with the salesperson at Sears. They also get notice of upcoming sale events weeks in advance (like Labor Day weekend). Sealey and Beauty Rest are long time in the business but they have junk lines too. You get what you pay for. I'm not a big fan of memory foam. Make sure it can be returned in a month or so. I'm not a fan of Sears either. They're going broke like Kmart.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I always wanted a Stearns and Foster because my wife's uncle had one in his guest room and it was the most comfortable mattress I had ever slept on. But this was 15 years ago.
    So, last year I bought one. It SUCKED. Within two weeks there were valleys in the mattress. I went round and round with the mattress store (he tried to tell me that was normal) and they finally took it back.
    Went down to Haverty's and bought a Serta and I've really liked it.

hound_dog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with the sterns and foster pillow top and love it, Ive had it about a year now. Your right about it sucking worse than buying a car, after rolling around on about 100 different mattresses we pretty much closed our eyes and pointed.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First mattress my wife and I ever bought was over 30 years ago and was a Stearns and Foster. Was over $1,000 which was a lot of money back then. Was very comfortable but in a few months had a big dip in the center. My wife and I are not exceptionally large or heavy (she was under 100 pounds at the time) and store would do nothing for us so my advise is stay far away from them!
    In the store we've tried a sleep number and that seems like the way to go for our next one.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are you sleeping on now? How long have you been sleeping on it? Do you still get a good night's rest? Do you currently have a traditional box spring and mattress sitting on a frame with your headboard and toeboard? 2k can buy a Lotta mattress but if it dont fit your current configuration plan on spending a few dollars more...

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about the purple matteress, see a lot of advertising on it anyone have one ???

I have a tuft and needle which is the same "style". You order it off the nets and it shows up in a 60 pound box a couple days later. You cut the packaging and it blows up... It's been the best mattress that I've had. It is extremely cool (I get hot when I sleep). if you do happen to spill something you can just by a new cover for it. I am concerned about the longevity of the mattress though but it cost me 650 so I just keep that in mind. Casper/Tuft and Needle are the main two in the market. Both have a 100 day trail and if you don't like it they'll have a local company pick it up and donate it to someone who needs a mattress. I thought that would be a gimmick but people have written that it wasn't hard to return it. There have been some people who get a really bad chemical smell when the latex didn't cure right or something and they had to get the mattress picked up and a new one sent out.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a tuft and needle which is the same "style". You order it off the nets and it shows up in a 60 pound box a couple days later. You cut the packaging and it blows up... It's been the best mattress that I've had. It is extremely cool (I get hot when I sleep). if you do happen to spill something you can just by a new cover for it. I am concerned about the longevity of the mattress though but it cost me 650 so I just keep that in mind. Casper/Tuft and Needle are the main two in the market. Both have a 100 day trail and if you don't like it they'll have a local company pick it up and donate it to someone who needs a mattress. I thought that would be a gimmick but people have written that it wasn't hard to return it. There have been some people who get a really bad chemical smell when the latex didn't cure right or something and they had to get the mattress picked up and a new one sent out.

Is that like the Leesa too? I have looked but too scared to order, are they firm?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the store we've tried a sleep number and that seems like the way to go for our next one.

My mom was going with a sleep number until I started searching reviews. Many issues with leaks (it's just an air mattress) and all they do is send you a patch kit. Very poor customer service ratings too. This was 4 years ago and I have not looked back.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that like the Leesa too? I have looked but too scared to order, are they firm?

Yeah it's like a Leesa. They say the Tuft and Needle is one of the more firm ones compared to a Casper or a Leesa. A lot of people on reddit says the firmness depends more on your weight. I'm a side sleeper and I get a good feeling with it that it's there supporting me but not too firm or anything (hard to explain). There is a brand that allows you to customize the firmness of the mattress and you can even do half and half if your spouse has a different preference. FYI if you order on amazon you only get the 30 day return not the 100 day return.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only reason I am going with Sears is because the bank I work for offers Thank You Points as an overtime incentive. In the past 3 weeks I have accumulated about 200,000 points, which can be redeemed for gift cards ( 1k points = $10 in gift cards). In the past I have bought gift cards for Academy and Gander Mountain and just bought firearms with them. I know the guns were overpriced but it was basically free money since I still get the time and a half plus the points. Ever since the Orlando shooting, for some reason all of the sporting goods stores have disappeared off of the Thank You site. Its pretty slim pickens on there now for stuff that I am interested in. The only " sporting goods " store they have on there is Kmart. Although Kmart.com does sell some pretty sweet crossbows that Ive been eyeing as well as reloading equipment.

Long story short, we need a new mattress and Sears was the only store available on the site that sells them. We have a pillow top now that we love , but its starting to give my wife some problems. It is about 10 years old now so we're about due for a new one. Im gonna haggle cause I think its fun, but I was just wondering of anyone had any experience with any of the three brands I had mentioned.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you haggle with a big box store like Sears?
    I wouldn't call what I did haggling but when I got out of highschool I was wanting to move out but didn't have anything so before I did that I decided to start building my credit and got a credit card and went to sears (biggest place that sold electronics in my town) I knew that model I wanted from some research and sears sold it. The total of all the stuff I was getting (TV, Surround Sound, and a few other misc stuff) was a little more than the budget I gave myself so he tried to say I could get the same TV but a little smaller but I told him I was only getting the biggest one they had. Was about to leave and he knew it, so he came back and said OK you can get all the stuff and I'll drop it down to your budget. Ended up like $300 less than the original total.
    I didn't haggle as I don't do that and I wasn't angry or even trying to get a discount. Just wasn't paying that price but he changed it for me.
    Haha ended up kind of biting me in the ass though as I found out my girlfriend was pregnant like a week after all the stuff got delivered.
    I also really like our memory foam mattress.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I moved from Italy 2 years ago I needed bedding ready on my arrival so I ordered a couple of Spa Sensations 8" Memory Foam Mattresses from Walmart which I picked up on the day I got home. I bought them because they were not very expensive, easy to deliver, and I thought they would be OK for temporary use and for a day-bed later on.

As it turns out, they were so good I bought a couple of king sized ones too. I've moved a lot and slept on all kinds of beds, but these Memory Foam mattresses give me the best sleep ever in spite of the low price. It did take a few weeks for the manufacturing smell to go away, but other than that I have nothing but praise for these mattresses. My wife is happy too.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Only question I can give an opinion on is memory foam. I hate that stuff. Wife and I bought new bedding a couple of years ago and bought one with the memory foam top layer built in. Hotter than hell. I can't sleep if I'm not almost cold and especially my pillows and mattress. We took it back and went with something else. YMMV.

Yea memory foam sucks... I think it's makes you too hot to sleep on.

Wife and I bought a King 100% latex mattress from this place and it's been great...

http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/latex_mattress.html

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the memory foam problems stem from the early versions, we have one from SAMs that's about 4 years old and its spectacular and can't be beat for the price. I had pillow top that was a couple thousand but it got ruined in storage when I moved for a winter and the memory foam is a better sleep. I can't sleep when I'm hot either but don have he problem with this newer mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom