• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woods

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave up on 1x4 scopes. I found the size and bulk was not worth what you are getting. I can do 90% of what they do with a T-1 and look at the size difference.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scope

Viper or Hi-Lux both are excellent choices!

Attachments

• cmr1424.jpg
      cmr1424.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 213
    • rfl_pst_1-4x24_moa_fr-t.jpg
      rfl_pst_1-4x24_moa_fr-t.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 212

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im in the same boat as Woods... I didnt like the size/weight for the limited mag. went back to a T1

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since Brant already got his scope, taking this a bit off topic.

What do you guys think about the 1-6 / 1-8 options?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since Brant already got his scope, taking this a bit off topic.

What do you guys think about the 1-6 / 1-8 options?

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I can do everything I want an AR to do with a 1-4, I would like to have a 1-8 for my MWS though.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave up on 1x4 scopes. I found the size and bulk was not worth what you are getting. I can do 90% of what they do with a T-1 and look at the size difference.

I switched over because of my astigmatism changing coupled with some scar tissue on my eye making red dots problematic when shooting distances beyond 150-200 yards. I'm using T/H-1s and TA33 ACOGs on my SBRs though. It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. The 2moa dots are a huge improvement for astigmatism usage, they weren't available when I bought most of my Aimpoints.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I had some good Aimpoints, but the dots were a problem with precision shooting due to the astigmatism on my right eye, so I let then go in favor of eotechs for the clearer reticles. However, I'm hearing from a buddy in sof that eotechs have been shaken loose by heavier recoiling rifles and that Aimpoints are a better bet. Perhaps I need to re- evaluate the 1-4s as a solution. I'm kinda into irons at this point though.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I can do everything I want an AR to do with a 1-4, I would like to have a 1-8 for my MWS though.

I have a 1.5-5 Leupold on my Scar 17 right now, but I think that it could make good use of a few extra X's of a 1-8... they are just pricey!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had some good Aimpoints, but the dots were a problem with precision shooting due to the astigmatism on my right eye, so I let then go in favor of eotechs for the clearer reticles. However, I'm hearing from a buddy in sof that eotechs have been shaken loose by heavier recoiling rifles and that Aimpoints are a better bet. Perhaps I need to re- evaluate the 1-4s as a solution. I'm kinda into irons at this point though.

I've had 2 out of my 4 eotechs fail and require a trip back to L3 for a nitrogen purge. The reticles were dim and disappeared from certain angles. One of the 2 was only ever mounted on my .22LR AR SBR and had been for a couple of years... I like them a lot, but I do worry about their ability to function on the long term.

Of the Aimpoints / Trijicon stuff I have, I have never had an issue, or had to send one back. I also have a MK4 Leupold that turns its illumination off with .223 recoil, but some tweaking on the battery compartment springs may have fixed it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just picked up the PST at lunchtime today. Glass is really clear, but I have question. Is it common to see lots distortion (that's the best way I know how to describe it) around the edges. It's only really noticeable when you move the scope around, but I've never seen that type of distortion on any other scope I've owned.

Edit: I just called Vortex and described what I saw. They said it is not normal and is emailing me a shipping label to send it in. I'm going to take another look at it when I get home to make sure I wasn't imagining what I saw.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thought I'd stir this one back up since I'm soon to be in the market.
    Jeep, how's the Vortex running and to those running a red dot, would you recommend a 3x magn.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I currently have an eotech 512 on my AR and have shot plenty of paper and steel. Even after my YouTube studies and forum reviews, I guess I'm still debating the issue.
    That 1-6x vortex is definitely awesome Batman, though I've almost clicked buy a couple times on the Primary Arms 1-6x just to try it out.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thought I'd stir this one back up since I'm soon to be in the market.
    Jeep, how's the Vortex running and to those running a red dot, would you recommend a 3x magn.

I love the Vortex so much I bought another one for my 6.8. It turns out that the slight distortion is not noticeable at all when you're shooting, so I never sent it in. I'll be running one of them this Saturday at the PTAC match and I expect it to work very well. I just need to practice working my makeshift throw lever for the zoom.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I like the 1-4x24 scopes for some purposes. I have a few of my ARs with them. A couple have the Millett DMS-1 1-4x24, one has the Primary Arms 1-4x24, and one has a VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA. I really like the Milletts. I bought my first one back in 2008. The Primary Arms really impressed me when I bought and used it for the first time late last year. It is a great scope for the money. The VORTEX VIPER PST is fantastic. These are the only three 1-4x24 scopes I have had experience with.

Milletts

Primary Arms

VORTEX VIPER PST

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks Tackle, you have all the cool toys. Well firearms related anyway.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Thanks Tackle, you have all the cool toys. Well firearms related anyway.

This is not a firearm, but it is my other cool toy.

Just a note. As far as 1-4x24 scopes go, I am really liking the VORTEX. I own a few of the VORTEX red-dots as well. I like their VIP Unlimited Warranty. Their customer service is great as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom