• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In the last couple of months,looking thru the loading data published on line,I have come to the realization that the powder,and bullet manufacturers are pushing the newer powders to a great extent.
    My reserch has specifically been on the 6.5PRC and 6.5Creedmoor. Even though the 6.5C has been around for quite some time now, most all the data is for the newer powders.
    My powders on hand are the older ones. I have about 25 different powders. Some with 2+ pounds each. They are all the older ones used to reload some case capacities identical to the two mentioned above. 260Rem,6.5-284 etc.
    They want you to buy new powders. They want to make money. I get it. But if you look at an recently updated version of the burning rate chart, just for the rifle powders,it is extensive. With at least 25 new additions.
    I am trying hard not to buy different (more) powders. . . BUT . . ?? ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ALSO - -> For you 6.5Creedmoor reloaders out there - - > take a look at the Starline Brass website under 6.5Creedmoor reloading. Great info and loads there. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In the last couple of months,looking thru the loading data published on line,I have come to the realization that the powder,and bullet manufacturers are pushing the newer powders to a great extent.
    My reserch has specifically been on the 6.5PRC and 6.5Creedmoor. Even though the 6.5C has been around for quite some time now, most all the data is for the newer powders.
    My powders on hand are the older ones. I have about 25 different powders. Some with 2+ pounds each. They are all the older ones used to reload some case capacities identical to the two mentioned above. 260Rem,6.5-284 etc.
    They want you to buy new powders. They want to make money. I get it. But if you look at an recently updated version of the burning rate chart, just for the rifle powders,it is extensive. With at least 25 new additions.
    I am trying hard not to buy different (more) powders. . . BUT . . ?? ---- SAWMAN

At our age, things change and improve over the last 50 years..you know you want to buy, just do it!

RumbleWepnz

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are an avid reloader pick up the Quick Load program. It saves a lot of time so you can identify different powders that work for any given cartridge.
    I run a 6.5 X 47 Lapua in competition and there were only a few powders listed for that cartridge. I used Quick Load and identified 16 different powders that
    would be useable, all readily available. Verified 14 of them! No longer worried if H4350 hits a shortage again.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been a member of LOAD DATA for quite some time. It costs but it gives you the total of most all loads produced by the powder and bullet manufacturers.
    It does not do the same as QL will do however. I just need some starting points.
    My application in both my 6.5 chamberings will be the lighter bullets. The Barnes 127gr LRX should be my heaviest. I could possibly use a Barnes 131 or a 140gr but at this point,I doubt it. I want the speed and trajectories.
    There are some excellent bullets offered in the <130gr types. The great Barnes and NosPart comes to mind. Even the 127 and 120 's have a high(er) B.C. so unless I want to shoot further than 600yds IMO,no reason to go heavier. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the two chambers listed. Look no further than H4350 for the Creedmoor, and H1000 or RL26 for the PRC. Trust me I have done the legwork and only wasted time and components
    For the 6.5 creedmore, the only reason I see for that cartridge is in an AR10. Otherwise I would go for some other 6.5 for use in a bolt gun.
    My concern is with using slow powders like 4350 in a gas operated semiauto. Perhaps the 6.5 C AR10 gas systems are optimized around 4350. I do not have the gun or cartridge. So more or less asking out of curiosity.
    I really do not like new cartridges or powders unless they fill in a functional performance gap that was previously missing. A 6.5 C in an AR10 does, but not a bolt gun. But of course this is america and we still mostly can buy what we want.
    I do have a 6.5 grendal that in an AR15 does give me some performance that a 5.56 does not.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    For the two chambers listed. Look no further than H4350 for the Creedmoor, and H1000 or RL26 for the PRC. Trust me I have done the legwork and only wasted time and components
    PM incoming on load data

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the 6.5 creedmore, the only reason I see for that cartridge is in an AR10. Otherwise I would go for some other 6.5 for use in a bolt gun.
    My concern is with using slow powders like 4350 in a gas operated semiauto. Perhaps the 6.5 C AR10 gas systems are optimized around 4350. I do not have the gun or cartridge. So more or less asking out of curiosity.
    I really do not like new cartridges or powders unless they fill in a functional performance gap that was previously missing. A 6.5 C in an AR10 does, but not a bolt gun. But of course this is america and we still mostly can buy what we want.
    I do have a 6.5 grendal that in an AR15 does give me some performance that a 5.56 does not.
    Not sure we’re you are coming from. I’m just trying to impact steel for score. That’s it, not trying to kill game or defend my family. Yep makes a great gas gun cartridge. But makes for an even better platform for feeding from a AICS mag.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure we’re you are coming from. I’m just trying to impact steel for score. That’s it, not trying to kill game or defend my family. Yep makes a great gas gun cartridge. But makes for an even better platform for feeding from a AICS mag.
    If it is the best round for feeding through the AICS magazine that you use, then I see your point. I am somewhat ignorant since none of my center fire boltguns use a detachable magazine. Most of mine are older, in some cases the actions were made during WWI or earlier. My only new guns made in the 21st century are semiautos. The 6.5 C was designed to work in the detachable mag used in the AR10 and so if a bolt gun uses that magazine type, I can see the advantages of it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This Browning is my first and only 6.5C but I gotta say FOR A BOLT GUN the polymer rotary mag is super smooth. Easy to load and unload.
    And like the MagPul's for the AR's . . . they don't/wont dick up your brass or bullets. LOVE THAT !! --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Please forgive me if I do not know all "required" to know when owning a 6.5C . . BUT . . how do you know that the 6.5C was designed to work in the detachable mag of a AR10 ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please forgive me if I do not know all "required" to know when owning a 6.5C . . BUT . . how do you know that the 6.5C was designed to work in the detachable mag of a AR10 ?? --- SAWMAN
    The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”

“The original intent of the cartridge was an across-the-course match cartridge,” said Emary. “We envisioned it as an off-the-shelf round that produced the accuracy and ballistics to compete in all match shooting disciplines right out of the box. At the same time, we realized that the same characteristics would make an exceptional hunting cartridge with the right bullets.” But it was through the development of Hornady’s Superformance propellant—used in LeverEvolution loads, the Ruger Compact Magnums, and .308 and .338 Marlin Express cartridges—that enhanced the external and terminal ballistics to near-magnum cartridge performance, without excessive recoil and rifle weight.

During the design phase, Emary collaborated with Hornady Mfg. Co. assistant director of engineering Joe Thielen. “The general design of the case provides sufficient cartridge head height to allow for very long ogive, high-ballistic-coefficient 6.5mm bullets in a short-action rifle,” said Emary. “We knew from past experience that a large case wasn’t needed to get performance with this smaller caliber, and the propellant charge weight had to be kept down to reduce recoil for competitive timed-fire events.
    Creedmoor was in reference for its intended use for NRA competitive shooting.
    The 6.5 Creedmoor is named for Creedmoor Sports, a name that can be traced back to early NRA matches on the site of the “Creed” farm in upstate New York in 1874. The surrounding farmland reminded visiting British and Irish shooters of their “moorlands” back home—hence the term “Creedmoor.”

“The original intent of the cartridge was an across-the-course match cartridge,” said Emary. “We envisioned it as an off-the-shelf round that produced the accuracy and ballistics to compete in all match shooting disciplines right out of the box. At the same time, we realized that the same characteristics would make an exceptional hunting cartridge with the right bullets.” But it was through the development of Hornady’s Superformance propellant—used in LeverEvolution loads, the Ruger Compact Magnums, and .308 and .338 Marlin Express cartridges—that enhanced the external and terminal ballistics to near-magnum cartridge performance, without excessive recoil and rifle weight.

During the design phase, Emary collaborated with Hornady Mfg. Co. assistant director of engineering Joe Thielen. “The general design of the case provides sufficient cartridge head height to allow for very long ogive, high-ballistic-coefficient 6.5mm bullets in a short-action rifle,” said Emary. “We knew from past experience that a large case wasn’t needed to get performance with this smaller caliber, and the propellant charge weight had to be kept down to reduce recoil for competitive timed-fire events.

Top Bottom