• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I've been dabbling with distance shooting. I found some apps for my phone that are very helpful with ballistics for drop and windage. I decided since I'm new to this and bought entry level scope and shooting a Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22'' barrel. I have dialed it out to 510 yards and started hitting accurate. So after reading on the net, I bought the Kestrel because it will Bluetooth to their ballistic app on my phone. Anyone got one and use it? I ordered it off Amazon. I went with the cheap $200 one to see if it's worth buying the elaborate ones. This is the last time I shot, I hit at 510 yards.

Attachments

• 34084.jpeg
      34084.jpeg
      253.4 KB · Views: 24

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have experience. The Kestrel is now up to the 5-6K series(?). Good device, but here's my one/only issue: the device (and any similar) only provides atmospherics for the device location, not along the entire flight path of the projectile.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep. Provides good data for your location.
    Bluetooth portion is maximized if you have someone else holding the meter (and turning with the wind) or if you have it mounted on the “weather vane” swivel stands. Otherwise, you’re gonna be holding it to get the most accurate wind reading anyway.

For long distance, you’ll have to start reading the wind from what it does to the environment. Branches, leaves, grass blades, or your own streamers/ribbons. You get your money’s worth with the meter then. Walk your shooting lane, observe what the wind is doing to whatever you’re looking at, and see exactly what the wind is. Make your own data chart. Surveyor’s ribbon at 30-degrees = x knots/mph; 45-degrees = x, etc. Mylar balloon strips at 15-degrees, 30-degrees, etc. Grass tips fluttering, grass blades 45-degrees, grasses pinned flat. That ugly bush at 200-yards leaves fluttering, branches moving, entire bush swaying. You get the idea.

Reading the wind through a scope is helpful. Compare it to your atmospherics from the Kestrel at your location. Make your adjustments from your ballistic tables and use your reticle (or turret clicks).

Now add in dancing mirage at distance. Then go overheat your barrel and deal with mirage from a hot barrel.

Always something new to learn. :)

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I won’t shoot without mine. I never use the wind capture feature unless it’s blowing harder than 15mph. On the way to the range I usually look up my local weather station and note what the wind is doing. When I get to the range I make my own assessment.
    Have experience. The Kestrel is now up to the 5-6K series(?). Good device, but here's my one/only issue: the device (and any similar) only provides atmospherics for the device location, not along the entire flight path of the projectile.
    IronBeard i think your atmospherics comment is a reference to wind? If they ever figure out exact holds on wind it will take all the fun out of it. It’s coming, They have a device that is capable of reading mirage.

To over come this I bracket my wind. I put together brackets based on MPH and direction. If it’s say 5-10mph I will plug in 5mph for wind one and 10 mph for wind 2. I will also make a column for 7.5 mph based off my wind 1 and wind 2 holds.
    If you are shooting targets in different directions The compass feature really comes in handy with these units

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    JHunter is a top level long range shooter and he knows his stuff. I agree with his 15 mph rule. Mirage, foliage, flags and feel can only give you so much info. At around 12-15 mph + is where the wind meter comes in handy. Phone app and a basic wind meter will get the job done 98% of the time IMO but is limited to data connectivity and some technical data. The higher end Kestrel models can capture and calculate environmentals automatically at your shooting location without the cellular limitations.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys, I read all about the one I bought. It comes with the basics. On the apps I'm using now, it ask for bullet coefficient, barometric pressure, altitude, muzzle velocity. This Kestel will read all that I think. I'm so new to this it can be overwhelming. I've got a couple of people helping me and I've started reading Bryan Litz book Advanced Ballistics. This has helped me get a better understanding of long distance shooting.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the way, if anyone wants to go shooting, I have multiple paces to shoot. Have to go to the norther part of the county if you wat to shoot more that 600 yards.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I won’t shoot without mine. I never use the wind capture feature unless it’s blowing harder than 15mph. On the way to the range I usually look up my local weather station and note what the wind is doing. When I get to the range I make my own assessment.

IronBeard i think your atmospherics comment is a reference to wind? If they ever figure out exact holds on wind it will take all the fun out of it. It’s coming, They have a device that is capable of reading mirage.

To over come this I bracket my wind. I put together brackets based on MPH and direction. If it’s say 5-10mph I will plug in 5mph for wind one and 10 mph for wind 2. I will also make a column for 7.5 mph based off my wind 1 and wind 2 holds.
    If you are shooting targets in different directions The compass feature really comes in handy with these units
    Correct. Meant wind, although altitude and humidity can be factors. Agree, you don't wanna take the fun out of it. Enjoy the experimentation/learning.

Top Bottom