• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kinda sorta interested in one of these and just curious if anybody on the Forum has any experience with one, particularly the ones that use S&W 59 mags. Looks like it would be a fun gun but I've never even seen one in living color. I'd like to have a rifle other than a .22 and this looks like it would be an option to keep me in a caliber I'm already using. I'll hang up and listen.......

Thanks

Edited fer splelling.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Had one, used Glock mags. Neat concept but too odd for me to keep. First gen had cheap plastic front sight that was a PITA to adjust and was just lacking a few refinements. New gen coming out fixes most of these issues, enough so that I may have to consider one.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had one, used Glock mags. Neat concept but too odd for me to keep. First gen had cheap plastic front sight that was a PITA to adjust and was just lacking a few refinements. New gen coming out fixes most of these issues, enough so that I may have to consider one.
    Thanks Ray, it sure looks different but I kinda like different. Like I said, keeping it in a caliber I already stock is really a plus for me.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You consider a high point carbine in 9mm? I have on in 9mm if u wanna try it

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the glock 9mm version. I'd never sell it.
    I traded out the front sight for an ar15 type.
    It can be dropped into a day bag when folded.
    its surprisingly accurate and could probably benefit from an optic...but doesn't really need one for its intended range.
    Boosts some ammo by around 200fps over my g17
    30 round mag goes way too fast ....lots of fun!

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Big Daddy yeah I'd love to give it a try. Looks like I'll be off tomorrow (Thurs) and I'll run by the shop if that's cool with you.

Andy

Last edited:

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the glock 9mm version. I'd never sell it.
    I traded out the front sight for an ar15 type.
    It can be dropped into a day bag when folded.
    its surprisingly accurate and could probably benefit from an optic...but doesn't really need one for its intended range.
    Boosts some ammo by around 200fps over my g17
    30 round mag goes way too fast ....lots of fun!

From what I've read people either love it or it just isn't for them. Really would like to get my hands on one for a few minutes. Any chance you're going to JJ's Saturday????

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I've read people either love it or it just isn't for them. Really would like to get my hands on one for a few minutes. Any chance you're going to JJ's Saturday????

Sorry- no.....Wish I could.....but have to work.
    Dont know when I'll get to the range .....been too long......but work takes priority.
    The re-sale on these is pretty quick- if you dont like it. Just dont overpay.
    If you dont think you will use/value the folding feature - you might be better off with another brand of carbine ....since they are easier to put an optic on.

Last edited:

FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had one in .40- wish I hadn't gotten rid of it but it was a necessity at the time.

Didn't like the hi point carbine, but that's just my opinion. Yours may differ.

As far as mag choice, that's your call. I went Glock due to capacity, availability and pricing.

Get one. If you don't like it, I'd bet my bottom dollar you could flip it and easily get your investment back.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sorry- no.....Wish I could.....but have to work.
    Dont know when I'll get to the range .....been too long......but work takes priority.
    The re-sale on these is pretty quick- if you dont like it. Just dont overpay.
    If you dont think you will use/value the folding feature - you might be better off with another brand of carbine ....since they are easier to put an optic on.

That is one of the issues the second gen corrects! :smile:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is one of the issues the second gen corrects! :smile:
    Well......yes and NO.
    They redesigned the fore end with rails ....but you still loose the folding option unless you remove the optic.
    Maybe if you found the right optic - with a zero retaining quick release - it would still be good at short distances after being re-installed.

The video posted on page 1 shows man sized targets being hit at 440 yards with the factory iron sights......so I guess the optic isnt really needed anyway.
    I dont think I could do that with half of my rifles!

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    i love the concept of it, and its pretty damn accurate right out of the box, BUT i will say it is one of the biggest pains to field strip and is an extremely "dirty" shooting gun. i dont know if its like a phosphorus lined barrel or what, but its filthy after the first mag. Theres also a pin that holds the bolt in (at the base of the stock). if you happen to pull that pin out slightly too far then a tiny little spring will come flying out and go MIA pretty easily. (btw mine is a 9mm with the smith and wesson mag, the glock version is nearly impossible to find now, heck a 9mm is hard to find now). Anyways, fun little gun, but has the expected Kel Tec Quality, also its not a fan of any other round other than winchester white box it seems. At this point, i may have only 125-150 rds through it, so its possible that its still in break-in mode. =] i hope.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as optics..and the new rails..anyone think an offset 45 would still allow it to fold??

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    thats a good question, mine does not have rails, but looking at my ar 45 sights it seems it may be possible....although mine does kind of have an arc that comes up and over the "up" part may interfere with the folding but id probably take them with you and mach it up at the gunshop, im sure they wouldnt have an issue with it (unless theyre a-holes)

Elvid

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My sub2k in .40 Glock is my favorite firearm to shoot. Works pretty slick with my Glock 40s too, of course. Folk hate the sights but I can pick them out easily with my middle age eyes. I may do some customizing in the future though. I *highly* recommend getting one.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Love mine. Paid $289.00 for it new a few years ago. Mine has the grip for the Glock G19 magazines. It is pretty cool to have a 9mm rifle that uses your Glock handgun magazines. I don't see ever selling it.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/

Go there. Read and enjoy the possibilities. It's a neat design. Folds to the length of the barrel.

The front sight can be easily swapped. Many other mods that add to the weapon. Or, it'll still shoot straight and reliably in its stock form. Well worth the time.

If you're set on a 9mm carbine that takes S&W mags, look into a Marlin Camp-9. Unless you are hooked on the Sub-2000, which is a good choice, too.

If you are patient, they are about to start flooding the market with the newest "Gen2/3" depending on who you talk to. It's got a lot of features already from the factory that many of us had to mod ours for (threaded barrel, better sights, grips, rails, etc).

Of course, these first ones are meant for Glock-17 mags, so if you have to have a S&W version, you'll need to go "old school", current Gen.

Regardless, you'll have fun. Find one with a price you can live with, then enjoy the purchase.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The first gen had the ability to swap the grip to take the desired gun's magazine as I remember. If so, if you got one that took Glock or Beretta mags a switch to S&W was possible and very expensive as I remember.

Best to contact Kel Tec on that and availability of the parts needed. Then you might be staged to really pick up a deal when someone want a gen2 and sells a gen1 cheap.

My get home kit from back then:

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :wave: Just my opinion - I wouldnt hold my breath for the gen 2's to "flood" the market .....or for gen1's to be sold "cheap"
    Keltec has never been able to produce enough of any model to keep up with sales. Almost all of their models sell for over MFG list - even used.
    I thought I overpaid for my sub2k - but I could get much more for it now - not that Id ever sell.

Top Bottom