• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AOCMCMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Based upon my 35 years of experience hunting SE Illinois modern slugs or revolver are the way to go. The recent move to allow straight walled cartridges is over rated by single shot requirement. With a slug gun you have 3 rounds available or 6 with the revolve. Four years ago I being bored of using long gun I moved to a 41mag Redhawk taking at least one each season. Over the years very few shots have been out handgun range, longest being 143yards. Due to the short firearm’s season and cost of licensing for out of state archery season could be worth looking into. Not to mention October is generally warmer than November/December. Keep in mind AR’s and Semi-Auto pistols are not allowed. When Hornady came out with the Whitetail line of slugs went with them exclusively in both 12 & 20. To be fair about straight wall cartridges one of my buddies bought a 360 Buckhammer barrel for his TC Encore. Both his deer dropped in their tracks. The two in the truck were taken with our old slug 870’s.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpeg
      IMG_2623.jpeg
      287 KB · Views: 28
    • IMG_3866.jpeg
      IMG_3866.jpeg
      633.6 KB · Views: 27

wvfatboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I like the 450 Bushmaster. Do some research on it. A little more energy than a 45/70. I have "knocked down" deer and hogs with this one in a Ruger American rifle. It is a beast. Would trust on a griz hunt for sure.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    something to be said for rifled or sabot slugs outta a 12ga shotgun... i used a remington 870 with a 20" barrel and iron sights to take a fair amount of game back when they didn't have all these silly regs on ammos. knocked down a decent whitetail at roughly 75yds from a tree stand up north using that old setup... miss that shotty.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I absolutely love my 350 Legend I just built. Accurate to 200 yards (all I've shot it out to so far). It has taken two deer so far this year here locally. I would not hesitate to take it on a hunt where I was going to shoot 250 yards or less. I do think you have to shoot single shot in some of the states though. All you have to do is "modify" it to be single shot though where you don't have a magazine in your possession or blocked to where it only holds the one round in the chamber.

Attachments

• 20231122_100214~2.jpg
      20231122_100214~2.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 22

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not following IL law that much but isn't anything AR out of the question due to their new law(s) requiring registration or has that been stayed via injunction?

Single shot modifications or not, I'd not play with that one if AR's are still prohibited.

AOCMCMC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not following IL law that much but isn't anything AR out of the question due to their new law(s) requiring registration or has that been stayed via injunction?

Single shot modifications or not, I'd not play with that one if AR's are still prohibited.
    Yes, AR‘s are NOT allowed for hunting in Illinois regardless of single shot capable. Neither are semi automatic pistol’s. Single shot or Revolver only. Had a guy busted for semi auto 10mm hunting near us. Game Warden is property owners in-law. When I built my 450BM, AR’s had not yet been outlawed. Just stayed with Slugs and 41mag Redhawk.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes, AR‘s are NOT allowed for hunting in Illinois regardless of single shot capable. Neither are semi automatic pistol’s. Single shot or Revolver only. Had a guy busted for semi auto 10mm hunting near us. Game Warden is property owners in-law. When I built my 450BM, AR’s had not yet been outlawed. Just stayed with Slugs and 41mag Redhawk.

Thought that was the deal.

In that case, I'd go 12ga. Slug Gun 100%.

Top Bottom