• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S_SHELL

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    do any of yall take/keep an inventory of your guns make, model, s/n for a just in case situation , and your thoughts on why to do this or why not to?

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Inventory

I keep a list of all of my firearms with serial# and approximate value on my personal computer(no hard copies)for insurance purposes and just in case on or more gets stolen or destroyed. It is password protected and not accessible to anyone but me. In a SHTF scenario, or if the Hildabeast gets elected, I will probably wipe the drive it resides on clean(delete and overwrite x100).

Garry

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you from experience that in case of theft, the cops will make zero effort at recovery if you can't provide serial numbers.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Excel and have a spreadsheet that lists Manufacturer, Caliber, Model, Serial # and Year Manufactured.

Just about like my list, but I add where I also keep up with where I got the gun from, and who it was sold too if it ever leaves.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, have a list with make, model, caliber, S/N and description. Keep it in the cloud on a password protected backup system I use so it can be accessed no mater where I am.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I also keep load data, sight data, rounds fired, bore wear data, and parts replaced info.

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I take a pic of each as well as a zoomed pic of each serial number as well as where I got it and if I ever sell I'll write down who I sold to. I keep a hard copy in the house but also keep a digital copy in the cloud. If I'm ever worried about confiscation I'll start "selling"

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ever since the canoeing accident in the delta swamp, I have no need for a list.....I only have a 22 single shot rifle now and
    it was made before serial numbers were mandatory. :sad:

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep a list on my computer with serial # and where purchased. I email the file everytime I add to the list to myself and my wife in a yahoo email account so that it will be preserved digitally in a server in case of fire, tornado or theft. You absolutely should keep a list as any loss will require that and while many worry about confiscation...here in the deep south i think that is much less likely than a natural disaster and I believe there is no central data base that exists with all of our firearms listed by owner. I know there are many politicians who favor strong gun control but I don't think the path to that will be fast...more likely slow erosion like what is happening in Mass.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an inventory on PAPER ONLY. Includes an assigned number, date aquired, make, model, action type, serial #, cal, barrel length/type, metal finish, stock finish, optics, accessories/notes and date sold. I have digital Camera (not cell phone) pics of each side, close up of serial #. Camera set to show date of pics. Pics filed under Assigned number. I keep a copy of the list at home. Other copy and pics stored at another location in case of fire/disaster. Pics are deleted after I print them, SD is then reformated. I don't buy or sell often so paper works well for me.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep mine on a sheet of paper that is kept in a safe location, away from the firearms. Also take photo's of the sheet which is kept somewhere on the interwebs in case I need it.

It is updated when a new acquisition is made or something is sold.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    EXCEL and on three different computers, and online at an email account so I can access it anywhere any time. Same workbook has sheets for magazines, emergency foods, and ammo. Good to know, and have a record of, what you have!

Top Bottom