Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

IDPA reload style rules

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

SpitFire

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a question on reloads. Is IDPA now a slide lock only reload game? Rule below.

3.4.6 Shooters may not perform a reload which results in a magazine (or loose rounds) being left behind after there
was an unfired cartridge in the chamber, magazine, or cylinder at the time the reload was initiated. When done
intentionally, this is commonly known as a “speed reload”, but doing this unintentionally is still illegal and will
result in a Procedural Error penalty being issued.

So I am assuming that a "tactical" or "speed" reload which retains the mag with a loaded chamber and the shooter reloads while moving to the next position is not allowed anymore? I have forwarded a rules clarification to our area coordinator.

Thanks!

SpitFire

Reaction score
From Mike Osban,

Yes this type of reload is still legal. It is a tactical reload. If you do a tactical reload you must put the magazine on your person if it has rounds in it or if it’s empty with an unused round in the chamber. They just mean you cannot drop an empty mag on the ground with an unused round still in the chamber. I hope this clears it up.

That is pretty clear to me! Thanks Mike!!

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Always been that way. One of the stupid rules of idpa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder why two of the top training facilities still teach it?
It’s a way, not the way. Situation and time dictates which is appropriate. It’s not automatically “wrong” to dump a mag with a few rounds left in it when pressed for time vs waiting for slide lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eddie

Reaction score
Seldom is any method "the way."

I've never been instructed that a tacload was recommended during a pitched firefight.

If you read a little farther in the IDPA rulebook you'll find reloads, either slidelock or tac, may not be mandated.

Toggle Sidebar