• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffashbyjr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to start hunting, does anyone know where I can get my safety training to get my licsense and where a good place to hunt would be. I am new to this not really wanting trophys, what I really want is meat

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't understand this when somebody wants to learn to hunt how do you do this ,you know when you post saying I want to go fishing show me. people jump on that and take you out fishing so whenever you post I want to go hunting everyone treated like it some big secret why is no 1 willing to take anyone else hunting. I was not raised in household that hunted but I would love to learn to teach my son to hunt and respect land and only take what you need but how do learn it to pass it on?

Jeffashbyjr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I can understand they worked to build up their plot cause they want a big buck and not have to share or give up their secret, I tried fwc and their class is in fort walton

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People are inherently protective of their land, secret spots, knowledge, etc.... Posting I want to hunt a few days before hunting season is very poor timing. I taught myself twenty years ago, never grew up with it and eventually you find people ( work, church, civic organizations,etc) that help you along the way. I would start with small game, get a .22 and learn gun safety, how to walk in the woods, to be still, read signs, scout,etc..... shoot rabbits and squirrels and work your way up. I spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars each year ensuring I put meat in the freezer and honestly the cost/risk verse reward of taking new folks on, just isn't prudent for me.

Join a hunting club and tell them you're a newbie, any good club should help guide you. If you post on forums, offer to pay for corn, donate 1/2 the meat, buy lunch, do work on the land, etc... Nobody wants to hand out the fruits of their labor to a stranger bringing nothing to the table. The World is not the same place it was 20 years ago and self-preservation is important to most. Hunkyfish had good advice, plenty of public land for you to learn on.

Good Luck- Clay

Last edited:

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with the helping and offering to pay for some feed. but it just seems the fishing community is more open to teach and the hunting is a hard safe to crack....
    People are inherently protective of their land, secret spots, knowledge, etc.... Posting I want to hunt a few days before hunting season is very poor timing. I taught myself twenty years ago, never grew up with it and eventually you find people ( work, church, civic organizations,etc) that help you along the way. I would start with small game, get a .22 and learn gun safety, how to walk in the woods, to be still, read signs, scout,etc..... shoot rabbits and squirrels and work your way up. I spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars each year ensuring I put meat in the freezer and honestly the cost/risk verse reward of taking new folks on, just isn't prudent for me.

Join a hunting club and tell them you're a newbie, any good club should help guide you. If you post on forums, offer to pay for corn, donate 1/2 the meat, buy lunch, do work on the land, etc... Nobody wants to hand out the fruits of their labor to a stranger bringing nothing to the table. The World is not the same place it was 20 years ago and self-preservation is important to most. Hunkyfish had good advice, plenty of public land for you to learn on.

Good Luck- Clay

Jeffashbyjr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    been hunting before I just need a licsense now and didn't want to drive to fort walton to take some saftey hunter class to learn not to shoot myself in the foot

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with the helping and offering to pay for some feed. but it just seems the fishing community is more open to teach and the hunting is a hard safe to crack....

Less liability, no? You bring someone on private land, you risk compromising your security, theft, location being disclosed to others, injury or death, careless hunter practices, unethical hunting, etc..... Then again, I know Captains at will kill over GPS #'s....lol.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weather private or public land the problem is once you teach someone you will find them in your spots. Now in Pa. where I grew up there are millions of acres of State Game Lands and State Forest. I have hunted all over this state so it would be no problem to teach somone to hunt. This I have done all my life. Moved down here 6 years ago and this is my first year trying to hunt WMA land. For health reasons I thought my hunting was done for. Found out I have some more time left. I would be more than glad to help him but first I need to find some places to hunt. WMA rules and regs are a lot diffent down here. A lot of the states I used to hunt the rules are mostly the same across the state. Different ball game down here. By this time next year I will be more than glad to help anyone. Just love to be out there enjoying nature. Dont have to kill something to do that, but this person is looking for meat. So I believe he would be looking at bucks only on WMAs if I am correct. I think you need a quota permit to hunt does, could be wrong.

RJ

Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weather private or public land the problem is once you teach someone you will find them in your spots. Now in Pa. where I grew up there are millions of acres of State Game Lands and State Forest. I have hunted all over this state so it would be no problem to teach somone to hunt. This I have done all my life. Moved down here 6 years ago and this is my first year trying to hunt WMA land. For health reasons I thought my hunting was done for. Found out I have some more time left. I would be more than glad to help him but first I need to find some places to hunt. WMA rules and regs are a lot diffent down here. A lot of the states I used to hunt the rules are mostly the same across the state. Different ball game down here. By this time next year I will be more than glad to help anyone. Just love to be out there enjoying nature. Dont have to kill something to do that, but this person is looking for meat. So I believe he would be looking at bucks only on WMAs if I am correct. I think you need a quota permit to hunt does, could be wrong.

RJ

I'm from PA too Richard, what part you from and where ya hunt? I'm West Chester area and hunted above Wellsboro, Williamsport bear in Pike Co and a lot of doe in Bucks Co.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I gave him the best advice I could.
    I don't have a lease or any land & if Ft Walton is too far for a safety course, I'm not sure if I would want you in the woods near me.
    I grew up dove & squirrel hunting & only recently took up deer hunting & I managed to kill 2-5 points my first year, but nothing since.
    Clay's advice was right on the money & you can take does on WMAs but only during the first phase of archery & inbetween Christmas & New Years.
    Dragon Fire,,,, do you give your courses for free?
    Just expecting someone to take you & teach you without reciprocation is kind of foolish.
    Like Clay said,,, offer to help,,, offer to buy feed or feeders or cameras,,, plant food plots anything to help out.
    Most that hunt private land spend alot of money & time to make their areas right & they are not likely to take you for free.

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am with you. i was just asking a question. as an add on to this thread. if i findsome one who takes me out hunting i would deff hope i could help them on there plot or feed bags or anything else. i was just in the mood to see peoples opinion. and yes i have done lots of free classes.. in fact i did one for xmas gifts to toys for tots and did one for dinners for needy families...

not here to fight or argue Trust me Was not asking for anything for free.

I gave him the best advice I could.
    I don't have a lease or any land & if Ft Walton is too far for a safety course, I'm not sure if I would want you in the woods near me.
    I grew up dove & squirrel hunting & only recently took up deer hunting & I managed to kill 2-5 points my first year, but nothing since.
    Clay's advice was right on the money & you can take does on WMAs but only during the first phase of archery & inbetween Christmas & New Years.
    Dragon Fire,,,, do you give your courses for free?
    Just expecting someone to take you & teach you without reciprocation is kind of foolish.
    Like Clay said,,, offer to help,,, offer to buy feed or feeders or cameras,,, plant food plots anything to help out.
    Most that hunt private land spend alot of money & time to make their areas right & they are not likely to take you for free.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am from the mountain above Altoona. Used to do a lot of hunting and fishing up North. When I was young used to go to the 1,000 yard range at Williamsport. Spent a lot of time there. Used to be a ton of does up that way untill the Game Comm. figured out it was better to shoot them than let them starve to death in our winters. Deep snow and they yard up. Did a lot of bear hunting up there. Could of shot a good many. I would pick one out I wanted to hunt and go for that one. You would have laughed if you had seen me. Recurve bow, or 44mag pistol, or my 50 cal. flintlock. Something about bears is that they like me.I see them all the time even down here. Went for a walk a week ago in BW and had a mother and two cubs come right up to me. She was poping her jaws. I just camly talk to them and they go about there business. My brother always laughed at me, said if there is a bear within 5 miles he will find me.When did you come down here. I have been here for 6 years. Always went home to hunt and to Va. also. Used to be in a lease there but had to cancel this year. Got major operation and didnt figure I was going to be doing much of anything anymore. Now looking for a place to hunt down here or get in a lease for next year. Good luck to you this year. Shoot a big one.

RJ

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I would be happy to take anyone out to Blackwater to do some hunting. Maybe give some general pointers and information to get them started down the path to a great sport. Feel free to PM me and we can work out the details.

Shag

BVANWHY

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeff long time no talk buddy! how you been big sexy? lol. What I've done is find a hunting club and split the cost of a lease. Most established clubs have certain areas they get every year like mine (Decatur County, GA). If you just want to go out and sit somewhere then check out big lots of wooded areas with the Owners name or managing agency listed and call them. Before I found my club that's what I did. I must of tried 5 or 6 different lots but finally I convinced them I could take out the pigs and deer ruining their property, lol. I set up a plot a few months before then hunted it. Not really any big bucks or heavy does in Florida so it's just for the thrill. Next year I am planning a hunt in Illinois with a guide so I can get a trophy and the cost is similar to my club membership minus the travel cost. If you didn't grow up doing it then your best bet to start is getting into a club or just paying a guide.

BVANWHY

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    oh yea they sometimes do hunter safety at Woodham middle school in Pensacola. I'de call FWC and ask when the next local 1 is because sometimes it wont be listed if class is full. when people drop they dont ask for more students.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am from the mountain above Altoona. Used to do a lot of hunting and fishing up North. When I was young used to go to the 1,000 yard range at Williamsport. Spent a lot of time there. Used to be a ton of does up that way untill the Game Comm. figured out it was better to shoot them than let them starve to death in our winters. Deep snow and they yard up. Did a lot of bear hunting up there. Could of shot a good many. I would pick one out I wanted to hunt and go for that one. You would have laughed if you had seen me. Recurve bow, or 44mag pistol, or my 50 cal. flintlock. Something about bears is that they like me.I see them all the time even down here. Went for a walk a week ago in BW and had a mother and two cubs come right up to me. She was poping her jaws. I just camly talk to them and they go about there business. My brother always laughed at me, said if there is a bear within 5 miles he will find me.When did you come down here. I have been here for 6 years. Always went home to hunt and to Va. also. Used to be in a lease there but had to cancel this year. Got major operation and didnt figure I was going to be doing much of anything anymore. Now looking for a place to hunt down here or get in a lease for next year. Good luck to you this year. Shoot a big one.

RJ

I lived in Williamsport for a few years while going to school, love hunting and fishing up around there. I've been down here 4 years now and love it. I miss hunting bear in Pike co and my uncle has a cabin outside of Wellsboro on 150 acres that I took many deer off of. I have not been home to hunt since moving here, three little girls, job, family, etc....keep me busy. I have 80 acres in Red Bay I hunt and also a member of Pigeon Creek Hunting Club, plus another few small areas around Freeport I'm permitted to hunt, so it keeps me busy. Good luck recuperating from your surgery, hope you're hunting soon. Clay

Last edited:
    Top Bottom