• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in the 50's when I grew up a detachable magazine that went into a .22 or pistol was called a clip. Everyone knew what the word meant in that context.
    In recent years word nazis have evolved and get a sense of superiority holy indignation that they know the technical difference and wish to enforce that on the hoi polloi.
    Easy way to avoid problems.
    Mauser stripper clip, .22 rifle clip, M1 Clip, etc.
    Any confusion there?
    By the way some pistols do use stripper clips.
    1622300030744.png

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Much ado about nothing. Magazine and clip are defined but commonly are representive ideas (things), which is clarified by the firearm which further defines it as: holding ammo (C96 Mauser) for direct loading, holds ammo with the ability to feed it into position for the bolt/slide to further move it into the chamber (Colt 1911: spring force, Madison machine gun: gravity feed). Belts (cloth/metal) "hold" ammo but also sequence the interval so it can be mechanically draw into the firearm (M2, M60). Stripper/Charger Clips can be used to load blind non-removable mags (G/K98 Mouser), removable mags still inserted in the firearm (M14) or removed mags with a Loader adapter that attaches to the mag (M14/16).

We know what is meant by whatever feed device term is communicated: once the firearm is identified. Don't be peeved, your educated auto correct brain will interpet it accurately.

MaxNr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried to stay out of this. My M1 Garands all eat everything fed to them in CLIPS. The spring and follower live in the receiver.

Q2arrowhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    As gun owners we should use the correct terms. It matters.

Or if it doesn’t matter to you, you can put that “100 round drum clip in your Assault Rifle-15 or Automatic Rifle-15.”

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm,
    Magazine - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine
    A magazine is a periodical publication which is printed in gloss-coated and matte paper. Magazines are generally published on a regular schedule and contain a variety of content. They are generally financed by advertising, by a purchase price, by prepaid subscriptions, or a combination of the three.

Q2arrowhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Clip - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip
    Fasteners. Hair clip, a device used to hold hair together or attaching materials such as caps to the hair; Binder clip, a device used for holding thicker materials (such as large volumes of paper) together . Bulldog clip, a common binder clip; Paper clip, a device for holding several sheets of paper together; Crocodile clip, or "alligator clip", a temporary electrical connector

Danwin22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in the 1940's I saw a lot of cowboy movies. Six-shooters were called pistols, War movies showed soldiers carrying 1911's and called them pistols too.. In my mind any handgun can be a pistol. Are they going to outlaw the word "Pistolero?"

Nowadays the latest word police insist on calling them Revolvers and Pistols.

We always referred to something that held bullets as a Clip. Now the word police insist on "Magazine!"

I was born before WW-II and shot a lot of bullets through Pistols and Clips years before the Word Police were born so if you don't mind, I'll continue to blunder through life without the latest expert opinion.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers just a bit annoyed at the big deal people make over simple words.

Top Bottom