• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some land that used to have a really cool creek running through it. It appears a large group of beavers have decided they need to turn the entire area into a swamp (GRRR) Now we have a hundred yards of 3"-4" deep water surrounding the creek and the moccasins are everywhere.
    I know I'm gonna have to take them down and breech the dams, just wondering if anyone else has run into this and has some good advise.
    Its getting cold now, so the mocs are thinner. Probably a good time to go in and get this done
    Thanks

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    BOOM!!!! Ar/AK is the best caliber to use, plus you can dump enough rounds after a well placed shot to put them down for good... They sink when shot, they will come up after several days and stink up the place for a while.. Go in the evening, even at night, beavers typically sleep all day and work throughout the night. Recently had one eat an expensive apple tree from my dads yard, he just cut it down and left it laying their. We left the tree in the yard where the beaver dropped it and waited for him to come back and get it. Sure enough he did.... HE GONE...... THIS IS WAR JACK!!!

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hehehe, I understand completely.
    I was hoping to make less noise than my AR's are going to make, I guess a .22 would not take them down?

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hehehe, I understand completely.
    I was hoping to make less noise than my AR's are going to make, I guess a .22 would not take them down?

.22 will work. Parents live on a private lake on blackwater bay. In my years growing up I have seen many critters disappear. I was bass fishing in the lake by boat one day and a beaver popped up down the bank and started working his way towards me. I had a .22 pump rifle. The beaver came within 5ft of me and the boat. I shot him in he head twice with a .22lr, dead right there.... Beaver was the largest I had seen killed, I actually got a rope around this thing and trolled him back to the house. Dumped him in the bayou and the gators ate him.....

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I have advise from the ole days of birmingham with the cole mining with problems of beavers damning! Just find there trails where they drag there belly and tail and put dawn dish wash. It will make there oil that protects them from cold water be gone then first freeze DEAD! In Al it's not legal to shot them at night.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks
    I have a house across the creek from me and the people dont know me yet. We have only had this land for a few months and go out there on weekends
    I'd probably rather not expose them to the noise of an AR at this point...When my class III paperwork goes through, I'd use a supressed AR in a second, but I need to get this done and I've been waiting for months, and have been told it will be months before it gets approved. Apparently there are only a handful of people to do approvals for the entire country.
    I dont think it would be in my best interest's to give them the initial impression I'm a nut with a machine gun (hehe) I'll probably go over and meet them and tell them whats going on, they have the same problem I do (on the other side) Hopefully they will understand my logic and be supportive of my efforts.
    On the flipside, they could be some tree-hugging nuts and things will take a turn for the worse, at which point I will make full use of the AR's (hehehe)

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very interesting, I'd not heard of that!
    Would it affect other animals or fish in the creek?
    I really only want to get rid of the beavers and the mocs next summer. There are tons of deer and fish in the creek, not sure about the affects of soap in the creek but I'm open to ideas, thanks

Last edited:

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The wild life manage meant recommend it! Doesn't effect others because they don't have those oils. And drinkin will just give mammals mild dioria. Fish nothing.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In FL:

(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), fur-bearing animals may be taken in accordance with the
    following:
    (a) Raccoon, coyote, opossum, skunk, nutria, beaver and non-protected mammals may be taken throughout
    the year by the use of guns, dogs, live traps or snares, and may be possessed or transported alive only as
    authorized by Chapter 68A-6, F.A.C.

Start shooting and trapping! all traps have to be checked at least 1 time every 24hrs

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In FL:

(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), fur-bearing animals may be taken in accordance with the
    following:
    (a) Raccoon, coyote, opossum, skunk, nutria, beaver and non-protected mammals may be taken throughout
    the year by the use of guns, dogs, live traps or snares, and may be possessed or transported alive only as
    authorized by Chapter 68A-6, F.A.C.

Start shooting and trapping! all traps have to be checked at least 1 time every 24hrs

Yep, just checked all local laws. Its the same as FL
    Let the games begin!

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tanninite for the Dam,,,, hehe

O hell I'm in call Mullet he can mix up a bunch of Tanninite. I'll bring the bullpup saiga 12 and the hell with Nabor's ! When we r done they would b nothing but nice anyways. I vote a Sunday soon. Fire up the grill and fresh Beaver it is!!!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the dam meets its end via tannerite, please video it....

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tanninite for the Dam,,,, hehe

Haha
    I thought seriously about that. The gun shop in elberta has Tannerite stuff in stock
    I think I'm gonna breech them in steps, they have several of them in the area instead of 1 big dam for the whole area. My plan at this point is to get rid of the excess water in a controlled manner if possible, there is a nearby farm downstream, and I dont want to put a million tons of water on him at 1 time.
    It will be a lot more work, but may keep me at peace with my neighbors.
    Not near the fun factor though, would be epic to mix up some 5 lb tannerite and film it!

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I feel for you. I moved here over 20 months ago. Little 1/3 acre pond down in the back and the water stayed right at the top of the dam all the time. Just a little rain and it was running over the dam. I was afraid that with a big rain or storm the overflow could cut the dam and dump all that water down the creek at one time. The pond has a standard standpipe overflow like in a toilet tank. The beavers had completely capped the overflow with mud and sticks and had started adding mud to the top of the dam to stop the water running over the dam. The banks all around the pond are undermined and I have been walking along and suddenly have one leg go ass deep in a sink hole. I removed the cap from the overflow pipe and the pond dropped two feet in just a couple of hours. About 1/2 hour before sundown the same day the thought hit me that with the pond dropping like that the beavers might be back working to stop it. I slipped down there with a .22 and sure enough there were two beavers swimming across the pond with their evil little hands carrying mudballs. I popped one in the back of the head and he sank immediately. Of course the other one went down but within 30 seconds he was back up on the surface. I got him right through the eyes. A couple of days later after they bloated and surfaced I drug them out on the bank with a gaff. They buzzards and possums cleaned them right to the bone in a couple of days. It's been nearly a year and still no sign of more beavers. No more slides down the bank and no more work capping my pipe.

Right behind my dam is a creek and there is a beaver dam every 30-40 yards down that creek. I figured there was an entire colony with all the work that had been done around there. Since I shot those two there has been no maintenance done on the other dams and the mud is slowly washing out of the dams and dropping the level of those little ponds along the creek. They are busy critters so you may not have as many as you think.

They are mostly nocturnal so shooting them might be just luck. It was pure luck that I was able to get a shot at mine. I had never seen them out in the daylight. Trapping is best. A body grip trap is less dangerous to dogs and such instead of the old leg traps.

BeaverTrapDamSet.jpg

There are tons of videos and articles online on trapping beavers. I would bet Campbells Hardware in Robertsdale has the traps or can tell you where to get them.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I feel for you. I moved here over 20 months ago. Little 1/3 acre pond down in the back and the water stayed right at the top of the dam all the time. Just a little rain and it was running over the dam. I was afraid that with a big rain or storm the overflow could cut the dam and dump all that water down the creek at one time. The pond has a standard standpipe overflow like in a toilet tank. The beavers had completely capped the overflow with mud and sticks and had started adding mud to the top of the dam to stop the water running over the dam. The banks all around the pond are undermined and I have been walking along and suddenly have one leg go ass deep in a sink hole. I removed the cap from the overflow pipe and the pond dropped two feet in just a couple of hours. About 1/2 hour before sundown the same day the thought hit me that with the pond dropping like that the beavers might be back working to stop it. I slipped down there with a .22 and sure enough there were two beavers swimming across the pond with their evil little hands carrying mudballs. I popped one in the back of the head and he sank immediately. Of course the other one went down but within 30 seconds he was back up on the surface. I got him right through the eyes. A couple of days later after they bloated and surfaced I drug them out on the bank with a gaff. They buzzards and possums cleaned them right to the bone in a couple of days. It's been nearly a year and still no sign of more beavers. No more slides down the bank and no more work capping my pipe.

Right behind my dam is a creek and there is a beaver dam every 30-40 yards down that creek. I figured there was an entire colony with all the work that had been done around there. Since I shot those two there has been no maintenance done on the other dams and the mud is slowly washing out of the dams and dropping the level of those little ponds along the creek. They are busy critters so you may not have as many as you think.

They are mostly nocturnal so shooting them might be just luck. It was pure luck that I was able to get a shot at mine. I had never seen them out in the daylight. Trapping is best. A body grip trap is less dangerous to dogs and such instead of the old leg traps.

BeaverTrapDamSet.jpg

There are tons of videos and articles online on trapping beavers. I would bet Campbells Hardware in Robertsdale has the traps or can tell you where to get them.
    Thanks, I'll check with Nelson W.(Campbell's) and see what he says. Seems like I remember him talking about a beaver problem at a hunting camp they had awhile back, not sure. Those are a good bunch of folks up at Campbells!
    Anyway, thanks!

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thought for sure this thread was about you were not getting any.

Synonyms have always caused me problems but I reached my legal limit when I trapped the last one.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need to check with fish and game before you "take them". If not "In season" to take or trap you may still get a permit based on the damage to your property. This is an excellent time to get the permits for DYNAMITE!!!! Ah... for stump removal. We had a wolf re-introduction problem but damn we could not justify dynamite.

WR

Latest posts

Top Bottom