• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the opportunity to join Jeff (helo_hunter here on the forum) for an afternoon of shooting out at Escambia River Gun Club on Saturday. Not only was Jeff a gracious host, but the range is awesome! The range has plenty of room, and the layout is excellent. During a Saturday afternoon, I expected to be elbow to elbow with other shooters, but Jeff and I nearly had the entire third range to ourselves, which was a welcome change of pace.

I didn't have a chance to walk around and check out the entire range, but it appeared to be separated into 4 separate range areas, the range we shot on, had a small berm at 50 yards, and ran all the way out to with the yardage marked, and a berm out at ~140 yards. Each station (I think there were about a dozen) with its own bench and a rest for seated shooting, very nice.

Jeff set up a couple of paper targets for us and we started shooting some pistols and some .22 caliber rifles. He brought out some guns that I hadn't had the chance to shoot, The Ruger 1911, as well as an XDM 9MM (now I need an XDM by the way thanks a lot...) and gave me some pointers in terms of range safety and shooting technique. Never having had any instruction, Jeff was able to give me a few pointers that really helped my pistol shooting in just a few hours.

Jeff also brought out a steel spinner target, which I could only score about 1 hit out of 10 shots on with a pistol, but it was really fun to watch him nail 5/5 with his 1911's. The next visit, I will definitely bring the dueling tree, since you are allowed to rapid fire at something other than paper there (awesome).

I have never been a fan of shooting at a traditional range for a number of reasons, only slow fire allowed.. 2-3 seconds in between shots, no shooting anything other than paper targets, and it seems that the public ranges are always so crowded, making me feel really rushed, which is never conducive to shooting well. I will however be joining ERGC shortly, and I am also going to check out the next IDPA match that they have and see if I can get involved with that as well.

Thanks again to Jeff for inviting me out, I will be seeing you again on the range in the near future :thumb:

Also Jeff, I forgot to mention, I went home and applied some of the pistol technique we talked about on my dueling tree with my .22LR Pistol and was getting some pretty consistent hits, I was pretty tickled by this and Ben can vouch for my improved accuracy :D. I will need to give that spinner target another try after some more practice...

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since it was the first weekend of gun season for deer -- I think that might be why the range had so much free space available... Everyone else was out in tree stands!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Could be, when I came by Styx, they were pretty packed though. They have fewer range spots there to begin with though.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also enjoy the range there...my fiance and I took their CCW class out there...they are very helpful to any newbies like myself...i cant remember the guys name but he is a local lawyer and speaks at their CCW class...great guy...let us bore him with all my questions and let us shoot several of his personal guns...they made the experience very comfortable and I hope to also join, but on their website it says u must be an NRA member to join, which im not

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finally stepped up an joined last week also, It is a nice place, and being members only helps out a little with being over crowded I think. I just didn't shoot enough to buy a year membership, but everytime I would drive out to the county range down the road it would be closed or very crowded. The slow fire rule sucked too, i like to rapid fire some to be real with the practiceing, and love to shoot steel. I guess I will just have to go more.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly why I've been a member for 4 years. My favorite thing about ERML is that its a club managed range that has developed a community of shooters. Furthermore, you get a lot more freedom compared to traditional ranges. Also, being member only, you don't have to deal with the many safety hazards at public ranges.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like everyone has had similar experience, good to know! I will be joining very soon and likely be twisting MasterChief's arm to join with me. We will be the guys there with the AR22's attempting to wear out our dueling tree. :lol:

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ian,
    Thanks for the writeup. Enjoyed the afternoon. That dueling tree sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be practicing so I'll be ready.

Jeff

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sound like a place I would like. I hate that it's 60 miles away. Styx is about my only other option and I can be there in 30-35 minutes.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan to join ERGC soon... Just in no rush with ammo being so scarce. Really need to break some stuff in. Just hate to blow to rounds and not be able to replenish them. Kinda in hibernation mode right now! But thanks for the write up. I hear during the week the place is empty! Its always nice not having hot brass fly on you. I also understand the range is a bit safer from others ive been to in the past. So sounds to me like its a nice place to shoot!!!!!!!!!!

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    same here, went to erml , supper nice ro chatted about an hour before touring. they were having an apple seed class. ( only short comming is no skeet) went to stys river, way too crowded. folks were real nice just way to busy to talk. Good gun selection, reloading supplies and some pistol ammo. Out of the two chose ERML and wrote the membership check.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    same here, went to erml , supper nice ro chatted about an hour before touring. they were having an apple seed class. ( only short comming is no skeet) went to stys river, way too crowded. folks were real nice just way to busy to talk. Good gun selection, reloading supplies and some pistol ammo. Out of the two chose ERML and wrote the membership check.

Agreed on Styx, great people, but I can't stand being rushed while I am at the range.

Rmalone

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My friend is a member and brought me out there a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. A little bit of a drive for me, but well worth it in my opinion. Everyone I talked to out there was extremely nice and plenty of room.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, there was a year or so stretch recently when it wasn't a pleasent place to shoot and a lot of people left the club. But that situation has been remedied and it is once again a nice range. It can get crowded now and then usually Saturday and Sunday mornings when a match is going on.

Coming up in March is another military rifle match, always a lot of fun.

Rick

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ERGC is an excellent range! We shot for a few hours Sat morning; windy and a little cool but had a great time! Everyone we met was friendly and very courteous. It was my gf's first time shooting at a range (she was in the CCW class) - she's hooked now. I joined in '02 but rarely went; we do some limited shooting at home but try to keep things at a minimum... it was great to shoot as much as I wanted; especially some of the guns we can't shoot in our backyard! Looking forward to meeting more of you folks out here!

Last edited:

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan to join ERGC soon... Just in no rush with ammo being so scarce. Really need to break some stuff in. Just hate to blow to rounds and not be able to replenish them. Kinda in hibernation mode right now! But thanks for the write up. I hear during the week the place is empty! Its always nice not having hot brass fly on you. I also understand the range is a bit safer from others ive been to in the past. So sounds to me like its a nice place to shoot!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a positive shooting experience out there. We really enjoy the range; lot of very nice folks - never any problems! ERGC has a lot of cool events and a variety of shootong opportunities also.

Gunslinger82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been a member for about 10 years. We did have a bad period about 2 years ago. There were several obnoxious members that made the whole experience miserable for everyone. The problem was remedied and it is indeed a fun, safe place to shoot again.

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everything is squared away these days. It's a great place to shoot and you'll meet a lot of good people out there. Will be glad when ammo is readily available again!!!

jclark77

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went as a guest a few weeks ago and returned again yesterday and joined the club. Excellent range and excellent people. Nothing but good things to say about my experiences there.

Top Bottom