• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can I hunt with my AK? And if so, what are the laws pertaining to it? I have heard that no rifle can hold more than 5 rounds. Do they make a 5 round clip for the AK? I am only asking because I never heard of anyone hunting with an AK before, but it seems to me that it would get the job done. O*D*W

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Short answer is yes you can, and yes they make 5 rd mags. If your hunting Hogs on private land you can use 30 round mags

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes you can. I don't know where you are hunting but here in AL you are limited to a 10rd magazine capacity only on public land. On private land you could carry a drum mag if you wanted but its noisy. Also you will want soft points or hollow point ammo since FMJ is verboten by law for hunting purposes. I have toted an SKS and several AKs over the years and all have been more than adequate for hogs up to about 350#.

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will be looking for a 5 round mag. I think I might drag the AK with me for a couple trips. If anyone has an extra mag they want to sell, PM me. O*D*W

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there a site I can go to that will show me how to block a mag? Also, I do not think I have seen the SP or HP in the 7.62 x 39. Will I have to order online, or is there a shop close to Pcola that sells it? I am pretty sure all the ammo I have found and bought for it have been FMJ. It may be because I just do not pay attention. O*D*W

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The picture @ magazineblocks.com looks like they just took a brake pad from a truck and put into the magazine. It only makes the mag a 10 round, though, and not a 5. After looking at the picture of the block, I could probably fabricate my own block for a 5 round magazine. Thank you for the info, Frank.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can't find a 5 rounder local I can suggest theAKfiles marketplace. There are 5 and 10 round mags posted frequently and a WTB ad should net fast results. Also a good place to find anything AK-centric.

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate all the feedback. I will look into the AKfiles. As for cutting one of my mags down, I will most likely pass. I would probably end up wasting a perfectly good 30 rd mag. I have a good hunting rifle already, but I think it would be entertaining to get the AK out into the woods. I will keep an eye out for a 5 rd mag and I am sure one will pop up somewhere. I should have went to the gun show, however, I found out about it a little too late, as I went and spent my money at Outcast.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Sig 556R in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags and picked up Tapco 5rd mags at Enforcement Firearms in Defuniak for $11.95. I'm sure Lothar (owner) would drop in mail for a few extra bucks and will take Paypal or CC over phone. Or PM me and I can pick them up for you and work something out, if interested.

Clay

OTTE*DA*WORM

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will look him up. I would pay an xtra few buck to have him mil it to me. I doubt if I will get over to DeFuniak. Crestview is as far as I go. Thanks for the info, Clay.

bayonet_53

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Below is the FAC that covers rifle and pistol for taking game.

FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
    CHAPTER 68A-12
    RULES RELATING TO GAME

68A-12.002 ​General Methods of Taking Game; Prohibitions
    68A-12.003 ​Protection of Certain Deer and Turkey; Tagging of Deer and Turkey; Evidence of Sex Required
    68A-12.004 ​Possession or Sale of Birds or Mammals; Taxidermy Operations and Mounting Requirements
    68A-12.005 ​Transportation of Wild Birds or Game
    68A-12.006 ​Sale of Pen-raised Quail
    68A-12.007 ​Hunting Dogs; Molesting Game in Closed Season; Training; Field Trials; Prohibited for Certain Hunting
    68A-12.008 ​Use of Pen-raised Quail for Training Bird Dogs
    68A-12.009 ​Taking Destructive Birds and Mammals (Repealed)
    68A-12.010 ​Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Hunting Preserves
    68A-12.011 ​Regulations Governing the Establishment and Operation of Game Farms

68A-12.002 General Methods of Taking Game; Prohibitions.
    (1) No person may take any game birds, crows or game mammals except as herein provided.
    (2) Resident game birds, crows and game mammals may be taken only during the daytime between one-half hour before sunrise and one-half hour after sunset in the open season established by the Commission, provided that the hours in which the hunting of gobblers or bearded turkeys is permitted during the spring season shall be from one-half hour before sunrise until sunset.
    (3) Game birds, crows or game mammals may be taken with any of the following:
    (a) Shotgun – Shotguns used for taking migratory birds shall be not larger than 10 gauge and incapable of holding more than three shells in magazine and chamber combined.
    (b) Rifle or pistol.
    1. No silencer-equipped or fully automatic firearm may be used.
    2. Firearms using any rimfire cartridge are prohibited for taking deer.
    3. The use of non-expanding, full metal case (military ball) ammunition is prohibited for taking deer.
    4. Taking wildlife with any centerfire semi-automatic rifle having a magazine capacity of more than five rounds is prohibited.
    5. Muzzleloading guns of less than .40 caliber firing a single bullet or of less than 20 gauge firing two or more balls, are prohibited for taking deer.
    6. The take of game specified for any muzzleloading gun season with any gun other than a bow, crossbow or muzzleloading gun is prohibited except this subparagraph shall not limit the methods of take of game specified for any coinciding season.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rules are rules, so if I look at these on the muzzle loader weapons, looks like you could use a black powder revolver above a 40 caliber and be good to go, isthis correct?

5. Muzzleloading guns of less than .40 caliber firing a single bullet or of less than 20 gauge firing two or more balls, are prohibited for taking deer.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    4. Taking wildlife with any centerfire semi-automatic rifle having a magazine capacity of more than five rounds is prohibited.

So technically a Marlin 30-30 that holds 6 rounds is illegal for deer hunting??? Wow, Florida rules suck!

Top Bottom