• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Finishing up my .223 wylde build. Now its time for me to start picking a scope. I'm having a hard time deciding between 1-4x and 3-9x. I would like to keep the price under $300. Which way should I go?

Some of the scopes I've been considering:

Bushnell 3-9x mm
    Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x
    leupold vx hog 1-4x

quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Under 400yds for sure. Can't see myself shooting past that. I really like to keep my range under 200yds when hunting and yes quick follow up shots would be nice while stalking. I just want to make an effextive kill shot up to 200yds.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A 1X bottom end would be nice for quick follow up shots, especially within 50yds or so, but a 4X top end isn't enough for me at 200yds, much less 400yds.

I'd probably go with a normal 3-9X or similar, unless you plan on getting into a lot of groups of hogs at closer ranges.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A "quality" 2-7X or a 3-9X would be my choice. Obviously,at the REAL close ranges a 2X would be better than 3X. However,if you were to choose a 2X you will have to settle for a 33mm objictive. If you do choose a 3-9X scope you can get these in a 50mm objective. The 50mm being better during the times of low ambient light or when used with a kill light or feeder light.
    Remember,you can shoot a hog at 10yds with a scope set to 3X. I've done just that . . . twice. For me,being able to anticipate a shot at a deer,hog,or yote,at 200yds the 9X would be better. However,if you practice shooting a 6" circle at 200yds with 7X it is not as hard as one would think. A super sturdy rest and a good trigger are the main ingredients to accomplish this.
    Another thought. If your gonna max load that Wylde,with bullets <66grs sight that gun in at 1/2 inch LOW @ 50yds. That will put you quite easily in the vitals of deer,hogs,and coyotes at 200yds+. ---SAWMAN

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 1X bottom end would be nice for quick follow up shots, especially within 50yds or so, but a 4X top end isn't enough for me at 200yds, much less 400yds.

I'd probably go with a normal 3-9X or similar, unless you plan on getting into a lot of groups of hogs at closer ranges.

This

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'd go with a 3x9 if you're going to be shooting at 100 yds and beyond. If stand hunting with limited distance opportunities, then a 1x4 or 1x6 would be my choice.

Swampy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a number of scopes but this one has become my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-...&qid=1489209098&sr=8-10&keywords=nikon+scopes

I have only killed one hog and it was at about 50 yards. I also think it is a good idea to have a .357 magnum pistol handy (REAL HANDY) when hog hunting for backup or close up shots. We like chest type holsters. My friend got a real surprise when a small hog charged from nearby brush. Fortunately he was able to dodge the hog while putting him down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom