• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know a decent club or farmer around here that would be willing to let (I can pay too) me and my 10 year old son hunt so he could shoot his first deer?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It will be extremely hard to find someone to let you just hunt on their property for free without either paying or doing some kind of service for them. Mostly it will involve paying and the same with hunting clubs. And the average for hunting clubs around here that I know of is from $1,000 to a few thousand for a year membership. Your best bet would be to either knock on doors or hunt public land. We have all been in the same boat. If you are going to knock on doors do not be dressed in camo. Dress in something like jeans and a button up, something presentable. Your going to have to do a lot of leg work to get a land owner to let you hunt on their property because more than likely they are hunting the same thing you are.

Other alternatives if you want to just take your son hunting besides deer is of course squirrel, rabbit (not the easiest), crow hunting is a great way to. Any new hunter or kid I take I will take crow hunting so they don't get bored to fast. Mornings you can have good shoots and during the day you can run and gun and teach other stuff about the woods. That is what I did with my girlfriend then took her coyote hunting (both of those don't require sitting forever) and now might take her on a deer hunt or two.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Then around here you are going to have to join a club or lease your own land. It's not like other parts of the country where you just ask for permission to hunt etc...
    Ain't that the truth... up in south carolina, I could drive down the road with $500 in my pocket and have 3 or 4 places to hunt for the year, and still have money left over for dinner...

Down here, I've pretty much stuck to public land. Some buddies and I would lease several hundred acres as a group, but it's hard to keep that going as we all have our own lives, and hunting seems to be on the back burner as we get older.

As a matter of fact, I was in Walnut Hill a few weeks ago, doing a job, and the folks had 300 acres, 100 of it was peanuts and the other 200 planted pines... they said they weren't going to plant next year because the hogs were so bad. I offered them $800 cash on the spot for a 12 month lease, for me by myself, no guests ever.... and $1 million insurance policy for the land, (which is only a few hundred bucks) and they said no!

Not sure if it's something in the water down here, but it's damn near impossible to get in with some folks to hunt private land. Makes me miss home.

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah exactly what I've run into. Anyhow, the wife and I decided to head back to Alaska in a few years. That will solve my hunting woes here.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As a Florida native I hunt the swamps and have used my boat to get away from everyone for years but now that's getting harder to accomplish, not impossible just a little harder

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've thought of that too as well. But I really don't want to get a river boat and deal with another thing to maintain. Lol

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a Perdido WMA that does limited hunts and one of them is a father/son week I believe. I think you have to apply in the summer to get a permit but may be something to look into for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There is Perdido river WMA in FL and AL. I'm not sure what the regulations are on the AL side, but the FL side is limited entry/quota hunt only. Application period is in April so it has come and gone.

They have an archery hunt, muzzleloader hunt, and a family rifle hunt.

I drew the family rifle hunt and took my 10yr old cousin last year. She shot a small buck over thanksgiving weekend. It's a nice track of land wig a lot of deer, but will require a lot of work and scouting, plus you only have 4 days to hunt if you get drawn.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hunted that on the bama side 8 years ago.....your damn near side by side to your nearest hunter. and someone is always blamed for take'n someone else's 1st shot whitetail. I sure hope florida is better organized than the west side.
    maybe its changed in the past 8 years.......:peep:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hunt off Yellow River south of Holt,Florida one side is mostly state wma the other side is Eglin Reservation and because I have a disabled hunting license most of the quota hunts I don't even have to apply for and the Eglin license cost $2 for hunting and fishing but you have to check with Jackson Guard for daily closures on Eglin and make damn sure to stay out of the closed areas. The Army Rangers training area covers a lot of the south side of the river and most of the closures depends on where their training that day.

Edit; the $2 for Eglin license is because I have the state disabled license, it cost a lot more without it. Given a choice I would gladly pay full price this disable crap sucks, I always have to have someone with me to handle the heavy lifting that I use to take for granted

Last edited:
    Top Bottom