How to switch an internal mag to accept detachable mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jacob51

Shooter
    I have a 1989 savage 110, 270 and am trying to make it my new hog gun with a IR scope. It’s a internal mag (doesn’t have a bottom plate either) and was wondering if anyone has tried or done this!

epointer

Marksman
    Would have to cut and inlet the stock, purchase bottom metal and mag system. Or look into a replacement stock that is already set up for a DBM. I believe on the Savages they had a couple different patterns for the screw placement and some other changes over the years that you would have to look into.

Last edited:

skyydiver

Marksman
    Sounds like a fun project, and should be doable with skills, since they have now switched to detachable. I would completely bubba the gun if I tried it, and replacement would be cheaper FOR ME.

I do not know about the 110, but the Axis I bought my son has really crappy mags with a cheap plastic release. Might look into what your options are even if you do convert before going full bore. Please update with project pics if you go for it!

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    There area lot of stock options out there- but it takes a lot of looking to find one for $500 or less with detachable mags.

mags are around $80 each for a long action.

I am looking for a similar setup for my 25-06

ChrisC

Master
    it is not cost effective to modify your current stock. Its going to cost around $400 +/- $50. buying a stock with a detachable mag is a wiser move. Inletting the stock will require a mill. DIY not recommended as you want the cut to be perfectly flat if you value accuracy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom