• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can usually avoid duels... harder to avoid random, nonsensical mass-shootings, in which you might have minutes to "draw", as long as you're not the first one shot : )

Accuracy over speed, I say. More important than hitting your target is NOT hitting someone you WEREN'T shooting at! And this just seems to fit here:

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see there was some confusion over that. I meant that he was asking me to lay out my shooting resume.

Edit: I may have read it wrong. Text is so hard to pick up tone from that it's super easy to take something out of context or miss the intent of the post/text.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you have to draw fast then your situational awareness is lacking. In my none professional opinion.

Like not running faster than the bear, just the other people! LOL

LOL... exactly.

Just for discussion I will add this...

The notion that if you have to draw means you've failed at situational awareness or you have poor tactics per se is nonsense and simply not real life. No one walks around with their pistol in their hand and reaction will always be playing catch up to action.

There are countless videos on the internet that demonstrate ambush type attacks or spontaneous violent encounters in the pubic domain don't always have discernible pre-attack clues.

Sure... situational awareness is a thing and will go a long way to help detect pre-attack/pre-problem clues, thus assist in navigating the OODA process more efficiently.

For most people, it's my opinion they would benefit more from learning to pay better attention to their surrounds as a means of defense and survival than spending time at the range conditioned to react to a timer buzzer, they know is imminent, in search of that sub 1 second draw/hit.

Find your CC draw time, practice it, strive to shave small amounts of time with putting in the work identifying small areas that cost you time... in the end, what you have is WHO YOU ARE.

SIDE NOTE- ABlaster is quite the accomplished shooter, I've known him for many years and have shot with him a few times. Out of respect for his privacy I'll say no more, but to discount his knowledge and skill set is a mistake.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE... but...

Anyone desiring to experience action/reaction; situational awareness' true benefits vs. blanket statements of such, and actually learn to OODA, take a good Force on Force class chalked full of discretionary shooting drills... then come back here and state whether or not your opinions on the matter are the same.

It will also help you determine "how fast you need to be".

I wish I had the funds to invest in FoF gear, it's a great eye-opener, not to mention a fun way to train and learn. Any wealthy folks out there want to spot me lol?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess I'll need to stand on my statements without further FOF Training. Some lessons are learned in blood. Old dogs and all that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I can usually avoid duels... harder to avoid nonsensical mass-shootings, in which you might have minutes to "draw", as long as you're not the first one shot : )

Accuracy over speed, I say. More important than hitting your target is NOT hitting someone you WEREN'T shooting at! And this just seems to fit here:

Not shocking at all considering most cops don't shoot regularly, have no interest in shooting regularly, have no interest in training, coupled with many agencies have no functioning firearms/shooting program in place.

I use to run open range days when I was an Operations Lt., two to four people would show up... the SAME ones. At times I've had a hard time getting folks to attend FREE classes that were offered to me.

Free ammo, free training... no takers. Shame.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting first doesn't mean your going to be tried by twelve. Shooting last doesn't mean your not going to be carried by six. But usually it's the last shot that ends the conflict in my experience. YMMV.
    Isn't that sort of like "you will find your keys in the last place you look?"

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Or ya can think outside the box. Just be the guy standing there with ya hands in your coat pockets. So he thinks... little does he know you planned ahead and have a revolver in there and aimed at him long before he thought about pointing a gun at you. Draw time -60 secs or more. Accuracy +600 percent lol. Look on the perps face, priceless!:cool:
    i rather like this method also, or pants pockets.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't that sort of like "you will find your keys in the last place you look?"
    Only if you find your keys? Sort of like the Hollywood Tale that Good Guys always win. Keep your head on a swivel and your powder dry. Best to you and yours, my Watch is over. The time has come when I only serve & protect via COMNAVKITCHENSINK Authorization. ( Perhaps it's a NAVY THING?)

Top Bottom