How close can a weapon light be to a muzzle device?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hey guys. How close can a flashlight be to a muzzle device? Can a flash hider/brake mess up a light if it's too near? Is it an issue if the light is also slightly in front of the muzzle device?

Attachments

• 20231016_121354.jpg
      20231016_121354.jpg
      319.7 KB · Views: 57
    • 16974765780061552292487765222844.jpg
      16974765780061552292487765222844.jpg
      518.3 KB · Views: 53

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'd actually say that's the optimal spot. Past the muzzle is even better if you can manage it.
    The light may get trashed by soot and catch hell and perhaps not last as long but it does several things tho. It prevents your weapon from making a dark shadow spot of course. It also tho make you more hard to see at night when using it. It's kinda hard to explain in words but if you're looking at a setup shining white or IR light from the side on a clear night you won't see much of the source and where it's at exactly. Vs if if your light is further back, it now reflects off your weapon and now is like a huge neon sign advertising exactly where you are and where best to shoot you.
    That's why they make the light booms, especially for cans.
    So for practice wherever is fine. If you plan to use it for defense or offense all those little edges like that add up fast.
    So yeah I keep mine as far forward as possible. Then put some tape or something on your lense and housing to prevent fouling. My surefire X300 tho has had it caked on in the past and it's scrapes off pretty easy. They sell a cleaner made just for lights tho but I forget it's name.
    I'd say the way you have it now is ideal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @DAS HUGH! The light itself will give your location. I understand what you're saying but unless you have a light on a switch across the room as a distraction, someone shoots at the general direction of the light they may hit you.

That's why you try to blind them first instead of announcing your position with the light on the whole time.

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Depends on goals. Longevity? Move it. Efficacy? Leave it.

For me, since my primary goal is cloning and having long lasting parts, id definitely shift it, but i also dont like forward mounted lights.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    @DAS HUGH! The light itself will give your location. I understand what you're saying but unless you have a light on a switch across the room as a distraction, someone shoots at the general direction of the light they may hit you.

That's why you try to blind them first instead of announcing your position with the light on the whole time.
    No. As I said it's hard to explain. I'll try to find a video about it later today. It's hard tho because many don't understand the concept. It's not discussed much.
    In your scenario where you know where a guy is and you blind him is fine maybe. But if in a real world scenario you need to assume you're the guy being watched and hunted from all angles as you do what you described.
    Light placement matters in many more ways than people realize tho. You're actually supposed to put it on top tbh in line with your optics, foe very good reasons. This guy actually mentions it for the first time that I've seen it mentioned on YouTube at least. I'll put a link for it in so folks can get an idea about that aspect at least.
    But most guns won't pass this one simple test here in this one video with side or bottom lights.

There's reasons why tho that Surefire lights etc cost an arm and a leg tho. They're built to handle such things. Buy once and cry once and get a quality light that you can mount when seconds matter and your life depends on it. So its made to put it where you need it most, way out front.
    The rest of the guns for the flat range and plinking sure buy a mid tier and baby it. That's fine.
    As I said tho the other part of what I'll share is hard to explain. But if you see a person with let's say a hand flashlight and no gun out in a field far away at night, let's say he's shining the nearby woods. All you will see is the woods lighting up. There will be no beam leading back to him like many think. Well, unless it foggy that is lol. Now, if he does the same thing but with it mounted halfway on his rifle, I now know he's sitting exactly about 1.5 feet behind that part that's glowing and I can open up with pretty good accuracy on him.
    That's why they put them far forwards as possible. If not you turn the end of you're rifle into a huge neon sign saying this is exactly where I am.
    But yeah there's a good bit more to lights than many think. I'm just passing it along as facts I've learned. I'm not making it up and it's not based on my opinion. It's just reality. If asked I'll share it tho.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    You're thinking distance I'm thinking CQB. Big difference...CQB you turn that light on you just announced yourself.
    Right. It varies for the jobs needing done like all things. But yeah if ya want the perfect setup for all roles one on top and far forward as possible is good for all. It limits your choices tho. So yeah I have a weird mix of all just depending on yeah what job you're doing

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mine a bit further back. After range sessions both my pistol light and long gun lights neet to be cleaned. Pistol is also comped. Theres quite a bit of corrosion on my tlr-1 bezel but works fine. White vinegar on a q-tip cleanes the lens right up.

SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mine is placed right before the brake. I would not put any light, no matter the quality, at or past the brake. You do want it as close to the muzzle as possible so you don’t cast shadows. I never ran a light in real world. Just PEQ and Nods. A light on your rifle for home or property defense is invaluable.

If you’re worried about flash light NDs, there are quick detach covers for lights.

Top Bottom