• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So today I put a down payment on a Savage Axis 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these and what should I do or dont do?

F.Y.I. I dont hunt 4 legs (never had the opportunity or chance), this would strictly be a bench/ long range TOY for me. Any advice?
    Thanks guys,
    -Smurf-

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    nobody should ever say anything like that... Savage makes a good rifle, not the best, not the worst... I shoot a few Savage rifles but not an Axis.....youll have a good bit of work ahead of you but thats what makes it so much fun...are you a handloader? if so then youll find the limits of the gun if any... if you dont then best of luck getting it sorted.... I'm working on a long range rifle combo as well and I've no idea how it will end....

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No sir, I dont handload. I've always wanted too but never thought I could be good at it.
    I do plan on maybe getting a better stock and seeing if I can change it to out to AICS mags. I plan on zeroing her out to 300 but seeing how far she'll go. I'll keep reading here for more tips.

Thanks

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> Savage makes a good gun. Back in the day,I had one (112J) that would shoot handloads into <.300" 5 shots @ 100yds.
    Some guns shoot much better with handloads. Especially carefully crafted handloads. Some guns shoot good with factory ammo.
    All guns are different. Even the ones with consecutive serno's.
    But beware . . . most weapon manufacturers make different levels of weapons. Some better than others. It is hard to say that ALL of a companys produce the same level of weapon. I have gotten goods and bads in weapons.
    The Vanguard line of Weatherby rifles got a somewhat bad rap some years ago,mainly because they were offered at Walmart. HOWEVER . . . I have friends that own them and they will all shoot MOA. Some,at the extended ranges.
    There are certin things that the owner can do to a 2-3MOA gun that will make it shoot "better". How much better depends on the "LOVE" shown that gun. --- SAWMAN

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    IMO - - -> Savage makes a good gun. Back in the day,I had one (112J) that would shoot handloads into <.300" 5 shots @ 100yds.
    Some guns shoot much better with handloads. Especially carefully crafted handloads. Some guns shoot good with factory ammo.
    All guns are different. Even the ones with consecutive serno's.
    But beware . . . most weapon manufacturers make different levels of weapons. Some better than others. It is hard to say that ALL of a companys produce the same level of weapon. I have gotten goods and bads in weapons.
    The Vanguard line of Weatherby rifles got a somewhat bad rap some years ago,mainly because they were offered at Walmart. HOWEVER . . . I have friends that own them and they will all shoot MOA. Some,at the extended ranges.
    There are certin things that the owner can do to a 2-3MOA gun that will make it shoot "better". How much better depends on the "LOVE" shown that gun. --- SAWMAN

Bill, Your 220 Swift still shoots that group..... I tinkered with the loads when i worked up some Bergers for it last year but couldnt best your recipe...so i went straight back to it...... well done sir......

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you sir.
    Had the exact same gun chambered in 22-250 (but decided I wanted something faster) and it shot ALMOST as good. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ownership of Savage like many Firearms Mfrs has has changed hand a few times. Savage has continued to inovate and has a what I would term as "value based on execellent average accuracy" at their price point. For a sub $400 rifle it has great accuracy potential with that cartridge! You might want to try AE 140 grain hp match.

If its a Combo pkg w/Scope: you want to check mounting, eye relief and bore sight. What you need to do it shoot it then recheck proper stock/reciever torque/tightness per owners manual. You can do the barrel break in stuff if so inclined. Your going to need to shoot/adjust to correct Zero (POA/POI). Since you don't reload, buy several different boxes of ammo and document how they perform. We don't care about POA/POI "Shift" because it's diffrent ammo, we care about "Group Size". This can be a continuing project based on ammo availability and funds. Upgrade like optics are nice but there's no need to fix whats not broken: if it fills your needs: good enough. Keep your fired brass, you might find a use or trade it later in quantity. You must keep in mind that accuracy is the Sum of rifle, ammo, environment and user skill. Some folks will spend big bucks on a System and not spend 30 minutes practicing trigger contol and shooting positions . Enjoy it!

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Rebel,
    I DID look at the houg hunter in 308 but no scope. So, just for a couple bucks more I found the axis 2 with a scope. I do plan on leaving everything as is as seeing what it is capable of before messing with it.
    Thank you sir for your advice

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wild,
    I agree that every company has its duds, and that one should not make a complete judgement based on one opinion. Hence why I asked if anyone has the axis 2 in a 6.5 creedmoor, lol. I have already purchased ammo from 4 different manufacturers in 2 different grains...125 and 140gr...American Eagle included.

It is a scope/ combo package, but supposedly comes with a good scope (according to others reviews) that is laser bore sighted from the factory, according to Savages website.

I also plan on keeping my brass (I ALWAYS police my own brass, that's just good range etiquette) just to trade or in case I can find a reloaded for that caliber and maybe work a deal with them.

I also appreciate your response and info and tips. I will definitely keep posting on this site to try and get more info and be a better shot

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Don't feel bad. There are quite a few people that want to trade in their surf boards,in line skates,and even pet rocks,for something else nowadays.
    You'll survive the Creedmoor and come out of this tradeing for one of the chamberings that has been around for 50+ years or so. But hurry. Your time,and interest in the 6.5C,is limited.
    There is 6.5Creedmoor buyers remorse support group out in north Santa Rosa somewhere. --- SAWMAN

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you to all that have responded EXCEPT FLT, lol. (Just kidding)

Sawman, I did want the 308, but they didnt have it in stock and couldnt tell me when they would have it, so i bought the creedmoor.
    I was trying to trade you some belly button lint and some half eaten crackers for them ammo boxes. Lol. Now trade me my creedmoor for your unicorn you got sitting in the corner noone knows about. Haha

FLT, is that an invitation? I'll let you play with mine if I can play with yours....the creedmoor that is!

Zeroed in, i agree. But it was funny

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yep for range use I would have gone 308 also, but hey, you are rich so you will be OK Savage makes a good weapon, I loved mine and it was accurate. The scope that comes on them is really for hunting and not as accurate for bench use, but then again you have already ordered..my advice would have been better pre-purchse

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    yep for range use I would have gone 308 also, but hey, you are rich so you will be OK Savage makes a good weapon, I loved mine and it was accurate. The scope that comes on them is really for hunting and not as accurate for bench use, but then again you have already ordered..my advice would have been better pre-purchse

Ut I do appreciate your input.

Top Bottom