• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a 1998 honda civic DX and the engine \ transmission is getting to a point that my duck tape and spit is not holding the car together anymore. If I had the time and equipment to do an engine swap I would do it, but I work full time and that is my daily driver. I wanted to find out if you guys know of a shop that can probably do an engine swap in a couple of days. I live in Pensacola so a Pensacola shop would be good, but I would be willing to drive it to any shop that can do the job. The reason I am asking you guys is this...if I talk to another 18 year old that would "help" me do the engine swap or know of a guy that knows a guy...I will probably snap. And if I get another 18 year old that talks to me like I am a friggin moron when it comes to engines...I will probably be locked up for choking said 18 year old. Anyway, if you know of a shop that can do the work...please send me their info.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Driven Performance @ 9555 Holsberry Road. what motor are you thinking of swapping in?

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Please say 350.

Or s2000 somehow mated to the awd system from a Crv. I dunno if that's even possible, but you should try it out.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If u catch me slack I can put it in in a couple days

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    in the 1998 model civic you can drop a B-series DOHC vtec engine pretty easily. It will bolt in with factory mounts but will require the B-series transmission to go with it. That is, if you're already manual. If not, a pedal assembly and shifter assembly is pretty well all thats required to convert. Most engines from hmotorsonline come with harness and ECU I believe. Pretty easy to swap in a civic engine. If I had more time at home, I'd be interested in helping you out, however, that isnt gonna be possible, unfortunately. We do engine swaps at work (pepboys on new warrington), but its not gonna be cost prohibitive as we charge full shop rate. Most swaps including engine, OE replacement, come in around 4000-6000 including labor, parts, miscellaneous extras (belts, hoses, gaskets, etc). Not sure if he'd be interested but I will PM you a guys number that was my honda guru a few years back when I was into that.

I used to have a 1991 honda hatch with a SOHC Vtec engine swap. Was pretty sporty, not "fast" but fun. I've had a 440hp srt4, a 130hp rx7, a 100hp vw bug, and a 88hp civic (the swap netted around 130-140hp), hahaha.

The d-series engines come around 130hp, the B16a1/a2 are 160 hp, the B18 LS series (non-vtec) are around 150-160, the B18c1 is the gsr nets around 180, and the b18C5 is the typeR and is 190.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    in the 1998 model civic you can drop a B-series DOHC vtec engine pretty easily. It will bolt in with factory mounts but will require the B-series transmission to go with it. That is, if you're already manual. If not, a pedal assembly and shifter assembly is pretty well all thats required to convert. Most engines from hmotorsonline come with harness and ECU I believe. Pretty easy to swap in a civic engine. If I had more time at home, I'd be interested in helping you out, however, that isnt gonna be possible, unfortunately. We do engine swaps at work (pepboys on new warrington), but its not gonna be cost prohibitive as we charge full shop rate. Most swaps including engine, OE replacement, come in around 4000-6000 including labor, parts, miscellaneous extras (belts, hoses, gaskets, etc). Not sure if he'd be interested but I will PM you a guys number that was my honda guru a few years back when I was into that.

I used to have a 1991 honda hatch with a SOHC Vtec engine swap. Was pretty sporty, not "fast" but fun. I've had a 440hp srt4, a 130hp rx7, a 100hp vw bug, and a 88hp civic (the swap netted around 130-140hp), hahaha.

The d-series engines come around 130hp, the B16a1/a2 are 160 hp, the B18 LS series (non-vtec) are around 150-160, the B18c1 is the gsr nets around 180, and the b18C5 is the typeR and is 190.

I was thinking on doing the B18 swap...and I am up in the air about leaving it as an automatic. My wife and daughters don't know how to drive a manual. It's only my son and I that will know how to drive it if I get a manual. That is why I am leaning towards getting an automatic so that anyone in the family can drive it. So you think that it would be a straight drop in (mounts and harness) with a B18? Or would I have to get a mount kit too? BTW, thanks for you help on this....

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The mounts should/would be a straight drop-in if I remember correctly. The B18 harness would be different that the D-series, but very similar. Your car being a dx is not setup for VTEC, so the harness and ecu would be a necessity. Otherwise, you could get an RPM activated window switch to activate VTEC. OR...you could do the LS swap, b18b1 I think, that is non-vtec. Torque would be much improved and power as well, no vtec activation to be concerned with. If you do the b18b1, I think the D-series harness may work, but I could be wrong. Regardless, if you go from d-series to b-series, you will need a b-series transmission. Its been a few years since I've talked honda-talk

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trust me when I say this: Leave the car automatic. If you want a manual car, buy one. I learned this lesson the hard way. It isnt easy.

If I were you, what I would do is just swap in a lower mileage unit of the engine that the car came equipped with. Its plug and play, can be done in an afternoon(provided tools/space/etc.) and no headaches.

Top Bottom