• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The wire per say really isn't the issue. It's where it terminates.

This is because of the greater expansion (and then contraction) of aluminum versus copper when the wires are activated and heat up and subsequently cool down. Over time, this action loosens connections and that's no bueno, as noted.

I certainly understand the need to conserve money, but if you've done the obvious that the average person can safely do, it's a next step time. Try and get FPL out if you can (under guise of energy audit) and say "oh yeah"... . But, what you describe sounds potentially serious.

It even skips breakers that are on the same side.

Check out more info on a breaker box and the hot bus bars. You've got two hot "legs" coming in--one goes to each bus bar in the panel. But, the confusing thing is that breakers sitting one over the other are pulling their power from separate bus bars (one breaker would draw off the left bar and the other would draw off the right bar). In other words, the lugs actually supplying the power alternate between bars as you go down the breaker "stack" on a bar. Think of a stacked breaker for a 240V appliance like an electric dryer. Even tho it's stacked, the design of the hot bus bars allows this breaker to balance the load in you panel--each portion of that breaker is drawing power off a separate bar.

What you noticed may be indicative that your issue is isolated to only one hot bus bar. If you can determine that only one hot bar is implicated with what you're seeing, there's almost certainly a loose connection (or some other defect) somewhere in that hot leg. It sounds like it potentially could be (or quickly become) a serious issue.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!

Last edited:

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure you're a competent guy and can figure stuff out but I'd hate for you to break something trying to investigate an old breaker panel. I'd call to have a lineman come check the FPL side. We look at these things hundreds of times and it may be something on our side.
    Had this same problem,checked all connections and tightened if needed. Was talking to my neighbor and found out they were having the same problem. Contacted Alabama Power they came out and found a bad neutral lug on the transformer, they replaced the transformer. Problem solved.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had this same problem,checked all connections and tightened if needed. Was talking to my neighbor and found out they were having the same problem. Contacted Alabama Power they came out and found a bad neutral lug on the transformer, they replaced the transformer. Problem solved.

Sad thing is I saw report other day that transformers and parts are, like everything else, on a wait list. But, that's good info.

OP seemed to indicate it was not being experienced on all appliances (only affecting certain breakers). Was this what you experienced? Seems if it was an issue on the supply side it would affect entire house. Maybe I misread what he said in his later post (#11).

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    if you have access to one, an infrared camera can usually pick out any trouble spots ... simply open up the panel point and shoot ..

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sad thing is I saw report other day that transformers and parts are, like everything else, on a wait list. But, that's good info.

OP seemed to indicate it was not being experienced on all appliances (only affecting certain breakers). Was this what you experienced? Seems if it was an issue on the supply side it would affect entire house. Maybe I misread what he said in his later post (#11).
    What we experienced that was most noticeable was blinking lights from time to time. If we had surges I wasn’t aware. The neighbors I talked to had AC problems because of it.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What we experienced that was most noticeable was blinking lights from time to time. If we had surges I wasn’t aware. The neighbors I talked to had AC problems because of it.

Interesting--not what I would have expected. But, that's what makes those issues so perplexing at times.

A few years ago, we were having pretty regular what I would call "brown outs". Seems then GP finally resolved that issue. We've had some small blips in last few weeks, but I attributed that to mid day grid demand for cooling.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd certainly suggest to anyone getting surge devices for the panel and AC units too. The panel devices are not hard to install, you just need two slots for breakers on same bar (so it catches both legs in the panel). Most folks have a stuffed panel now, but the tandem breakers available allow for putting some low load circuits on one breaker to free up space.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took the panel cover off and besides some dust from the garage, it looked fine? No burn marks, melted stuff or loose looking screws. I went out to the meter and it looked functional and no noticeable damage. There is a power pole in my yard with a transformer on it. Guess I’ll reach out to fpl and see what they say tomorrow.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took the panel cover off and besides some dust from the garage, it looked fine? No burn marks, melted stuff or loose looking screws. I went out to the meter and it looked functional and no noticeable damage. There is a power pole in my yard with a transformer on it. Guess I’ll reach out to fpl and see what they say tomorrow.

If it's an issue with one hot bus bar, you'd likely need to remove some or all of the breakers on the affected bar in order to see if there appears to be an issue with it. An obvious sign would be any darkened area that looks to be caused by arcing. At this point tho, sounds like getting FPL out is your best bet to rule out an issue with them. If you have neighbors who share service from the main pole, I'd try to ask them if they've had any unusual issues before FPL shows.

Also take a look at your neutral bar and see if anything unusual jumps out at you. It should be easily visible.

Best of luck. I know that has to be a concern.

Last edited:

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you need a new panel in your house, it's not too terribly difficult to put in yourself. Your breakers should be fine to use over (need compatible panel), tho it's quite likely you aren't code compliant on current breaker requirements for an upgrade of panel. So there's that.

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Have you checked your ground connection? There should be a heavy gauge wire running out of your meter box down the side of your house into the dirt. Clear away the dirt and verify that that wire is connected to the top of a ground rod that should be driven down into the ground there.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you checked your ground connection? There should be a heavy gauge wire running out of your meter box down the side of your house into the dirt. Clear away the dirt and verify that that wire is connected to the top of a ground rod that should be driven down into the ground there.

That "shouldn't" be the source of a problem like that. My house was built in the 50s and virtually nothing is connected to ground. Also, ground rods need to be replaced like anything else, as they are not a "forever" item. Most are bonded, but you can get a solid copper rod if you want to pay for it. Grounding to a metal well casing is another option, but may not be "code".

gunsrfun1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Call a licensed electrician, but check references and reviews first. You do not mess with electricity -- it always wins. I had a coworker who lost her whole house when the frig in the basement went haywire.
    Honestly I might even get two electricians to look at it, independently. For the extra money, it's worth the piece of mind.

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lights surging higher? Or, dimming lower?

The dimming happened to my last house, the wires off the pole from FPL to my house were aluminum and defective and PFL had to replace them.

Last edited:

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lights surging higher? Or, dimming lower?

The dimming happened to my last house, the wires off the pole from FPL to my house were aluminum and PFL had to replace them.
    It’s honestly hard to tell. The lights seem to get brighter and a box fan I have plugged in seems to slow down. I’m not sure. I have a call in to fpl now. Just waiting on service

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s honestly hard to tell. The lights seem to get brighter and a box fan I have plugged in seems to slow down. I’m not sure. I have a call in to fpl now. Just waiting on service

You sure don't want a slow box fan. Got mine going and AC set on 80 right now. Keep us posted.

Fordtudor37

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there any new construction going on around your property ? Even a strip mall put up four miles away ? -- As the newer properties are built, new power panels that operate differently then yours, the difference in the construction of the wiring material's, as well as the size of the wiring is dependent on the equipment which is being powered and the "cycles" which they operate at, are different Ohm frequency then when your old house was built. -- This will cause fluctuation "flickering" and heat to build up in the wires of your house, as your older system "cycles" to keep up with the newer power use. You might see these as "low power situation's" as the new electrical use even four miles away go thru these "cycles" of "On - Drawing power from everywhere on the grid as they turn On" and "Overloading the grid briefly, or the look of a power surge for those briefs seconds, when they turn Off". --- IF you know of anyone with a thermal scope, have them set it up and watch the wiring around your power panel as your system "cycles" thru the temperature difference's. --- Either way my best answer to you would be, "Money is tight but a safe roof over your head is more valuable then money right now. Payment plans can be worked out so that you protect your investment. Find out if you have any equity built up in the house and then tell the bank you have your mortgage with that "You want to protect thier investment."

pcola612

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    About 3 days ago, I started noticing we are getting a power surge to our house. It was in increments of one min and then three mins, then one minute and three minute. The lights would surge one time quickly in these intervals, getting brighter and then returning to normal. Now the surge is not super extreme but it is noticeable. I looked up online that it could be power grid, storms, or faulty wiring in the house. House is from the late 60’s and has not had any electrical work or changes in years. Also, when I start the clothes washer, the lights surge constantly like a weak strobe. Does not do it when the dryer is on. I don’t know what is going on. I reset all the breakers and the main house breaker and nothing changed. Any ideas?
    Hello, looking at your post, sounds like you might have lost your neutral line to the house and everything is trying to operate off the ground. You need to look at the connections from the pole to the meter socket or better yet call the power company, it might be behind the meter, that's where I found the bad neutral at my house.

Top Bottom