• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As it stands now if a place is posted and you are asked to leave you have to, as far as I know at this point in time this bill as written doesn't change that. The thing is if you are dumb enough to open carry into a posted business, well, that's just dumb.
    The fact remains if you are carrying concealed nothing has changed, if it's concealed no one knows, no one will ask you to leave. My concern is that if open carry passes there will be a lot more signs going up and as a rule I won't do business with an anti gun business. The good thing is that here in the Clearwater area I've never seen a single sign. I hope that doesn't change but I fear that at least in the short term until people realize that blood isn't running in the streets there will be more signs.

When the other OC states passed OC, did a high number of businesses post signs?

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We tend to think these other states are open carry nirvana but a lot of businesses do post signs and they carry the force of law as well. So it's possible you would be in a constant arm/disarm, do I want to leave my gun in the car, or find somewhere else to do the business you need to do quagmire. Unless it's a courthouse or school we can carry anywhere in Florida. Just keep your armed status to yourself and carry on.

It's going to suck if a bunch of idiots choosing to parade around with their big guns ruin the current freedom we have. Target and all those restaurants in Texas did not want to take a public stance and were just fine quietly allowing concealed carry until the open carry idiots with rifles forced their hand. I don't understand that mentality and don't associate myself with it as a gun owner and someone who carries daily.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about all those signs we used to see. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? That pretty much covers it,

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know of a single CC (myself included) that PLANS to do that. But crap happens. Do you think that any CC planed for a event on a specific day? No, we train, prepare, evaluate. Minimize risk and carry every day for the what ifs. You use situational awareness to get a heads up on what you don't expect. Your point is not supported by your position. AGAIN: If you don't expect any threats as a CC/OC; why bother to carry a gun? You don't expect to get mugged, car-jacked, shot at by a road rager, robbed in a WH or any of the Stop n Rod Stores, mass murder at work, church or the Mall. You know these thing happen every day to.....CIVILLIANS. Your also saying you would not intervene if a man was beating a woman in the street and simular events that could save a life or stop further injury. In the news was a story of a guy killed by another with a machete yesterday. Would you not help?

What about the story on the news a few months ago, Where some weirdo killing that guy with a Sword, It was like two month's ago 2 Leo's arrived to a call "domestic disturbance" or something like that and one Leo was new so he had someone with him that has been a Leo for year's. If that Leo wasn't with that new Leo, he probably wouldn't be here right now. This whack job comes out with a samurai sword and end's up hitting the new Leo with it several time's in the hand and arm, The experienced Leo shoot's the weirdo and saves the Leo's life.

Oh, and I have rundown, tackled, fought with, and put the Peerless bracelets on many. Even got my ass beat a few times along the way. Before that we used comm wire or vines and bag em too. I never needed to hand out a resume and not going to start here. :tea:

Apples and Apples.

John B.
    Most ccw holders I wouldn't think they are going to chase down a bad guy for stealing some clothes from the mall, or some crap like that. That is what 911 is for, The police academy, Leo's, more experienced Leo's, the longer you have been a leo, ect... I know some people out there that could cc or oc and have the same situation go down and the cc/op carrier actually has more experience than some of the Leo's do.

I think the bill should be passed, A MAIN reason's is for those of us that do have a ccp or even for the people that don't it is taking a STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRRECTION, SUPPORTING OUR 2ND AMENDMENT and not letting politician's and weird anti-firearm people any help. IF FLORIDA CAN GET THIS LAW/BILL PASSED THEN WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS FOWARD INSTEAD OF BACK FOR A DIFFERENCE.

In my eye's this really has nothing to do with being able to open carry, I wouldn't. I would still cc my weapon, my dad always told me just because you have your ccp you don't have to be a hero. I would refrain from getting into any situation that you can, if you pull that gun you better be ready to live with what's about to happen. Pop's is a retired special agent for the state of Florida, for over 30 years, In his 30 years of being at F.D.L.E. he luckily never had to shoot anyone, although he did get called to a bar fight and was told to wait for another officer to get there but didn't listen, he went inside and about the time his eye's adjusted to all the smoke and lights he heard a officer that just walked in yell duck Joe, quick reflex's he ducked and said he could fill and hear the wind from that pool stick barley miss his head, he already had his night-stick out and bam he hit that guy right on the head, to the floor he went the other guy dropped his broken beer bottle and put his hands on a pool-table. Back then you didn't see a lot of guys with their badge and gun on their belt like some of these guys do today. He lives in Mississippi now and they just passed the open carry law/bill, but with him being a retired agent, he talked to the Sherriff in Oxford Ms. and He told him if he set up a date and time he could take the same training/qualifying course that the leo's there have and he could open carry, cc what ever he wanted to do. He went and did some training with the Sherriff and some of the leo's just to go shooting with them and get to know them, I guess being retired and having all of that money you have time on your hands to do whatever.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You Sir are a 100% correct. There are two ways to look at this, #1 The bill passes and that intern means we are moving forward to our 2nd amendment right's, they would have a hard time trying to change it or #2 The bill doesn't pass and these stupid ass anti gun people out there are winning and from there they are going to keep pushing to try to do more harm and bitch about something else to do with having a firearm.

Just like with fishing, they where only going to put restriction's on not being able to keep one bull-red and promised as soon as the fishery came back they would go back to allowing you to keep one over sized redfish. Damn that's been how many years ago? The bull-reds are so thick when they migrate through I have caught them on bare hooks. I would say they are back and doing great, but still they wont change the law back to what it was even after the proof. You give away an inch to these people and they take a mile and you wont get it back, at least not in our lifetime.

I feel open carrying is a basic firearm right, even if some dumb thug wants to challenge me or some stupid business owner wants to keep me out. If laws are later passed to infringe on our right to carry then maybe the time will have passed for us to start fighting. And I'm not talking about protesting and voting. I'm talking about fighting. I'm fucking sick and tired of these pussy ass bitch people who are terrified of their own shadow and want me to give up my right because of it. I'm tired of so called gun rights supporters caving in to these stupid ass ideas of what MIGHT happen if we try too hard to take back our rights. I hate seeing these gun owners use the same debate tactics the antis use. Fuck them. Once the law is passed , if ever, I'll carry however I please and I'm never giving it back. Once the antis take something, they never give it back, neither should we.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are two ways to look at this, #1 The bill passes and that intern means we are moving forward to our 2nd amendment right's, they would have a hard time trying to change it or #2 The bill doesn't pass and these stupid ass anti gun people out there are winning and from there they are going to keep pushing to try to do more harm and bitch about something else to do with having a firearm.

Well it would seem there are 2 different schools of thought on this that will have a hard time reaching agreement. Some are trying to look forward and point out the possible unintended consequences of widespread open carry and how it may in fact have the end result of actually restricting more places we can carry. Just depends on how some go about carrying, their appearance, and how they conduct themselves.

I kind of go back and forth on it but in the end tend to think a small minority of yahoos will take the opportunity to act like the idiots they are and spook the heard. I envision the asshole wearing a don't tread on me t-shirt, open carrying a big shiny Desert Eagle 50 in a drop leg holster, walking around a venue like gallery night in Pensacola just because he can. Influential people and business owners will complain to the mayor and state legislators and the wheels will start turning to pass some new laws. It will be inevitably bad law that tries to appease both sides and will accomplish neither.

What we have is working well for the most part and we are not being denied our constitutional right to carry a handgun for self-defense. I just want to maintain that legal right in Florida and not have show boating attention hounds like CJ Grisham in Texas screw it up for the rest of us.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The permit cost should be nominal but yea. We have a right to be armed but still have to buy a weapon. We have a right to drive but have to pay for a vehicle and a driver's license that at least proves we meet a minimal standard of driving knowledge and skill so that we aren't an unreasonable danger to others.

I sympathize with the pure rights train of thought, somewhat, but to be a true believer and follow the logic without exception eventually will lead one to being a sovereign citizen type. Getting out on that fringe will not end well for anyone. At best one dies a bitter old man holed up in their cabin after insulating themselves away from the world, family, & friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The permit cost should be nominal but yea. We have a right to be armed but still have to buy a weapon. We have a right to drive but have to pay for a vehicle and a driver's license that at least proves we meet a minimal standard of driving knowledge and skill so that we aren't an unreasonable danger to others.

I sympathize with the pure rights train of thought, somewhat, but to be a true believer and follow the logic without exception eventually will lead one to being a sovereign citizen type. Getting out on that fringe will not end well for anyone. At best one dies a bitter old man holed up in their cabin after insulating themselves away from the world, family, & friends.

Quick question where in the Constitution does it give us the right to operate a motor vehicle? Can't compare something that isn't a right to something that is a right on the same playing field.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We tend to think these other states are open carry nirvana but a lot of businesses do post signs and they carry the force of law as well. So it's possible you would be in a constant arm/disarm, do I want to leave my gun in the car, or find somewhere else to do the business you need to do quagmire. Unless it's a courthouse or school we can carry anywhere in Florida. Just keep your armed status to yourself and carry on.

It's going to suck if a bunch of idiots choosing to parade around with their big guns ruin the current freedom we have. Target and all those restaurants in Texas did not want to take a public stance and were just fine quietly allowing concealed carry until the open carry idiots with rifles forced their hand. I don't understand that mentality and don't associate myself with it as a gun owner and someone who carries daily.

Those "idiots" OC their long guns. Because the state such as Texas laws were ass backwards. You were allowed to OC a long gun and a pistol that was cap and ball. You were not allowed to OC a center fire pistol. So don't blame the OC what they were doing was petitioning their government on this ass backwards law. Looked what happen... That law was repealed and campus carry was passed to.

It amazes me how much people assume without trying to reveal the underlying story. In reality you will have idiots with everything. If you want to live fear mongering then only expect for your, mine, everyone's rights to become worse.

I will bet all the guys that argue against open carry is swayed by a meme or a few youtube videos in reality that isn't how it is. Kind of like how so many people think police officers are terrible.

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those "idiots" OC their long guns. Because the states laws were ass backwards. You were allowed to OC a long gun and a pistol that was cap and ball. You were not allowed to OC a center fire pistol. So don't blame the OC what they were doing was petitioning their government on this ass backwards law. Looked what happen... That law was repealed and campus carry was passed to.

What state or states are you referring to?

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks , I was curious about the cap and ball exception for open carry- I watched some of the videos regarding one incident resulting in the arrest of an OC proponent. He was ultimately charged with disturbing the peace rather than a weapon's charge.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quick question where in the Constitution does it give us the right to operate a motor vehicle? Can't compare something that isn't a right to something that is a right on the same playing field.

9th Amendment covers it and all other rights not specifically mentioned in the Bill of Rights.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The right to free travel, much like the right to private property and speech, is about as fundamental as to America as I can think.
    If they were to propose a law that would fine, or perhaps even jail, road work crews for falling massively behind in schedule, it would make me as happy as open carry. Maybe just the contractors that run the crews.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes we have the right to travel freely but I am referring to operating a motor vehicle which is probably 99% of our transportation. Driving on a public road is a privilege that our government state or federal builds and from the research I did shows that us as tax payers hardly contribute to the public roadway (less than half). Which in reality is the only way we can travel. The highway trust fund is funded by gas tax and with vehicles obtaining higher MPG which in turn results in less funding unless a new way a funding is obtained. With less funding for public road ways the funding will only decline and Florida does not have a state tax so our main funding for roadways are gas tax and registration of vehicles. Until us as consumer of the public roadway contribute more than half of funding for public roadway then operating a motor vehicle on public roadways could and will always be considered a privilege. At least that is what I found in researching who pays for roadways. My point is until we constrict our government they have the ability to argue that right.

http://www.uspirg.org/reports/usp/who-pays-roads
    http://www.ugpti.org/events/policy/downloads/KathrynHarringtonHughes.pdf
    http://www.cbpp.org/research/policy-basics-where-do-our-state-tax-dollars-go
    https://www.transportation.gov/highway-trust-fund-ticker

Last edited:
    Top Bottom