• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sometimes "loaded with hogs" actually means passin' thru hogs. Sounders move around quite a bit. Some people figure hog hunting to be just like deer hunting. Not at all.

If your club has a hog living area this will absolutely help, however even a sounder that you get pics of several nights in a row can come and go. On several clubs(and WMA and Eglin) I have seen hogs come and go. However the more pics you get of hogs the better. Especially at the same(or near)time of day/night.

If you start getting pics of hogs think long and hard about your setup. Sunrise,sunset,wind direction,where they are coming from,all make a difference. If you get up high that will help. Ladder stand,tower stand,or climber will help in your success. If you will be night hunting also take into consideration where the moon will be in the sky. Keep into the shadows if possible. Night hunting dictates that you have to be much closer than during the daylight hours. And the WIND. It usually dies down in the PM however the cooling down effect makes scent stay low to the ground and move around somewhat.

Good luck with them hogs. They are a great challenge and great eating. ---SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where at TP?

North Santa Rosa County about 10 miles north of Whiting Field. Right on Cold Water Creek. There is hog sign all over this property. Established members tell me that this land has a LARGE population that lives there. Club members are shooting a lot of hogs and simply quiting because they don't want or need anymore. Folks have put traps out and are trapping between 5-10 of them at a time all over the property. And I've seen plenty of deer sign too. I hope it turns out to be a good year round club for me and the family to enjoy.

I put out some hog goodies this past weekend and will check the cameras this Friday to see if it's worth a weekend hunt this weekend in those areas.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I talked to another forum member a couple of days ago that was on Cold Water Creek also. He stated the same thing re. the hog population. --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have just a few hogs running around. Now to just be in the right spot at the right time.

Michael%204-28-2013%20041.jpg

Attachments

• Michael%204-28-2013%20041.jpg
      Michael%204-28-2013%20041.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 188

abailey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me too, good luck. Hopefully I will just walk up on one while walking in, makes it nice to not sit for hours in the dark!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    REMEMBER.......you have to kill 70% of your clubs population of hogs just to maintain the heard at the same levels year to year. Sooooo......I say,if your clubs game animals can be used,start slaying 'em at the 70% level.

Although you have, saaaaay 100 hogs on your club(within your clubs boundaries),if you never kill a single hog the numbers probably will not continue to multiply. Due to the hogs(both large boar and dominant sows)being territorial. There will be a "spillover" out of you clubs territory into the surrounding area's. BUT.......if you kill 70% the 100 hog population it will remain the same due to the prolific breeding patterns of the hogs.

I look at hogs on a club being an asset. Something else to hunt. Something else to eat. AND......being able to have a game animal to hunt,with such liberal rules and regs,makes paying your clubs dues much easier. Look at it as "hunting value for your money" sort of thing. --- SAWMAN

abailey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree sawman. When we first got them on our club, I wanted to kill them all, and some days I still want too lol. They busted 3 of my feeders this year, so they cost me a good bit of money, but having something to hunt all year long sure is nice. Definitely makes it easier to pay the dues, and keeping the freezer full is nice too.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have "hog proofed" my feeders. I use 4X6's for the uprights with a 4X6 across the top to extend out beyond the vertical another 4-5ft or so. The verticals are in the ground the deepest I could dig with a PhD(post hole digger). Then a 40lb bag of Quick-Crete goes in the holes also. There are two hard points. One in the middle of the verticals and another at the end of the horizontal that sticks out beyond the vertical. Both with pulley's attached. I also use a cheap boat trailer winch for the bbl feeder and a dock cleat for the can feeder rope.

This setup IS hog proof......so far. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0002.jpg
      SANY0002.jpg
      242.2 KB · Views: 156

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys! I know everybody has their own secret sauce or rub recipe, but I thought I'd share this with you if you'd like to taste what I grew up on. I'm from Memphis, the BBQ capital of the world as far as I'm concerned, and I've only been on one hog hunt so far but will be on a lot more soon I hope. But there's a place in Memphis called The Rendezvous that serves the best dry rubbed ribs I ever had. You guys lucky enough to get a hog might enjoy the flavor. It also goes great on sausages, cheese, damn near everything else too. Try it if you like and let me know what you think.

http://www.hogsfly.com/Category.php?category_id=3

Ps- an ice cold beer goes great with it also!

abailey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeap, my feeders are on 4x4's now. No more worries.

Edit: Frank, where did you get your hooks that you use to hang your hogs while cleaning? I've been hanging them up by the back legs and its a pain in the arse!

Last edited:

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL... i love Texans.. My step daughter is even one! But that's beef. Whole different thing than real BBQ.
    BBQ is the food of the workin' man, who could only afford a pig.. That beef stuff is a rich cattle baron's party food!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hoss, in Texas we cook it all and don't limit ourselves...not a BBQ joint in TX that does not have beef, Pork and Chicken...you just have to be inclusive! You can raise a steer in the pasture just as easy and cheaply as a pig...LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom