• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It has been years since I have hunted back home. But the hunts I remember the most were the hog hunts up the Escambia. We would launch down by Smith's fish camp and head up the river. We sed to run dogs and hit all the places on the way up. I can't remember getting a hog from there that weighed less than #250. A long time ago, before my day there used to Booker's Fish Camp up there near Thompson Bayou. I don't ever remember seeing to many people out there hunting with us.

Does anyone still hunt that management area? can you still run dogs?

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can still run dogs on the south end, I believe quintette is the border of dog hunt still hunt. The fwc site will have a brochure for the management are

I did run deer dogs for awhile with some friends down in that area. Brosnaham island would be a good place to catch hogs. Also I'd be weary about hunting near Thompson's bayou, it's under uwf protection I'm pretty sure.

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of Thompson was then was then, but not the whole part.

I got to thinking about it because hunting back home is so simple. Here in Alaska, hunting is a major logistical adventure.

Going up the river with boats and dogs was as complicated as it got

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sometimes people luck out just riding the river but you will have to spend a lot of time up there to get anything, but still hunting the river is probably the best option if you just wanna shoot something.

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went down there with my boat for the first time.. Launched at quintette boat ramp headed north a couple of miles did not see many opportunities to get off the boat (maybe due to flooding) but messed around for a few hours then headed south of quintette boat launch seen a lot more assesible dry land. But the whole day only saw one spot with good hog sign. Am I missing something? Anyone got advice?

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    GlockGuy,

Yes the river being up probably flooded some spots, but many of the locations on the river you gotta push through thicket and climb up a bank side. As for seeing sign hogs on public land will move from place to place a lot, more so than most hogs on private land.

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man, moving through them reeds and woods growing up, we would be moving a long fine and two steps later be up to our hips in Mud.

I remember being able to smell them pretty good when we came up on one. they leave a good trail too. Especially if they have been feeding on the palmetto roots.

Top Bottom