• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The last day of duck season yesterday my 1999 Yamaha 25hp tiller started acting up on my duck boat. It seems I may have picked up some trash in one of the carbs or a possible fuel issue. It started bogging down at low RPM but if I nursed it up to a higher speed it would work great as usual. I am also wanting the carbs adjusted because it's a pain at times pulling it on cold mornings. Does anyone know a mechanic who would work on this little 2 -Stoke tiller? I called a few shops around but they said they either don't mess with small motors or they are backed up and it would be months... any help would be great!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's not a hard job to diy. Youtube should have some vids on doing it, may not be one exactly on your motor, but similar. Just make sure if you diy, don't break the gasket between the card and the block. If you do, replace it, don't use a little gasket sealer to patch it.
    I'd do it for you, used to do outboards awhile back, but too many pokers in the fire right now. But there is a guy on the PFF (pensacolafishingforum.com), Livingston I think(?) has a mobile business for marine repair.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also, if you do it yourself, look on line and find a Parts list schematic for your carb., then find where the low-speed jet and the High-speed jets are. Use a touch of nail polish, fine point permanent magic marker or the similar. Mark the jet screw and the carb to mark it's (jet-screw) position. Remove carb if you haven't already. Then slowly unscrew it, as you do, count the turns using the marks. when it comes out, note the amount of turns it took to remove it. When you put it back in, screw it in the same amount of turns. Do both jets.
    Once it is out, you can use a can of air, the kind used for blowing computers, etc. Put the tube on, and blow the hole the jet came out of. You should remove the fuel bowl too, dump the fuel out, Blow the small holes on the carb that you see. There is a needle valve that connects to the float, slide the float pin out, and the needle valve will come off with the float when you pull it. Blow the hole that the needle valve goes into. Replace the needle valve and float. replace the bowl. Replace the low speed jet, counting the turns. Remount the carb. Pour tank fuel into clean 5 gallon bucket or anything clean. Disconnect the fuel line, remove the line from the bulb going to your engine. Pump the bulb to remove that fuel too, and then blow the lines with air compressor. Put it back together. Strain the fuel from the 5 gallon bucket, then pour it back into your fuel tank. Test run your engine. g/l

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very good info, thank you for the detailed instructions.
    I don't know why but messing with an outboard always seems intimidating.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just take pictures with your phone of the carb, the linkages and fuel lines, so you'll know how to replace it, just in case you forget how they went.

kanaka

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're going to attempt this, you need to do this before loosening the phillips head screws holding the float bowl on. Get a good pair of small vice grips to grab the screw heads to break them loose. Any attempt to use a screwdriver will strip the screw head. No, a impact driver will not work.
    There's some guy on the assembly line with a pneumatic screwdriver assembling the carbs for the last 40+ years.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've decided against trying it. I tried adjusting a carb 2 years ago on an older outboard...FAIL. I ended up taking to a shop, they cracked my block so then I bought another motor. I am currently looking for a local mechanic that will tackle the job and not keep it 3 months. It has proven to be a challenge to find.... lol

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    One of my friends has used a mechanic but doesn’t know his name. He tried to tell me where the shop is but all I remember is it is north of Quintette Rd. off of Old Palafox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    a man has to know his limitations...

"Dirty" Harry Callahan

i am not a mechanic at all, not close even. i take my stuff to one who knows of such things.

taking an engine that is running poorly, or not at all, to someone who makes it purr, is a thing of beauty to see...i recommend it.

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I usually do all my own work but several years ago I had this guy work on my outboard since I had no time. He cleaned, rebuilt and adjusted all 3 carbs. Don't remember how much he charged but do remember thinking at the time it was a fair price. Engine has run great ever since. He did have a shop near me but the shop closed. I think he may still be doing repairs but not sure so here is his number and email. Hopefully he can take care of it for you.
    Robert Truesdale
    850-281-7415
    barancasboats@Hotmail.com

Good Luck!

kanaka

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Auer Marine in FWB but they seem to be at 1-2 weeks backlog. $100 an hour
    Had my boat there to replace steering cable, locked up. Mech calls me to say steering is freed up after cleaning gunk out of steering/tilt tube, come check it out. Went there, felt steering, slick. He said he'd be glad to replace cable but felt that he could save me the couple hundred it would cost to replace it, my choice.
    Best $53 I spent there, they had to remove and reinstall motor to mess with steering.

Top Bottom