• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok, looking to buy my first Bipod and after some research I've discovered there's a million of them out there ranging from about $25 all the way to $200 or more. Any advice or recommendations you can give me based on personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for something that probably extends from 6"-9" and would like to keep it under $100 but open to all suggestions and reasoning. Thank you, Scott

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Harris makes fine bipods. I have a couple Caldwells, 6-9 and a 13-27. They are a little less expensive than Harris but I think they are just as good. The cheaper ones can have quality problems and you may not see a savings if you buy a peice of crap then break it. I think GG&G and a few others make bipods that go up over $200 but I can't justify it.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Harris makes fine bipods. I have a couple Caldwells, 6-9 and a 13-27. They are a little less expensive than Harris but I think they are just as good. The cheaper ones can have quality problems and you may not see a savings if you buy a peice of crap then break it. I think GG&G and a few others make bipods that go up over $200 but I can't justify it.

Thank you, both the Caldwells and Harris are priced pretty good on Ebay. Now for a couple of questions.

1. I noticed some have the springs going along the legs and some don't. What's the draw back of one versus the other?

2. In the description below what does the bolded portion mean? I'm looking to put this on an AR style rifle that doesn't have a swivel stud. Does this just mean that it's compatible with rifles with a swivel stud or that a swivel stud is required?

The Caldwell XLA Bipods provide a stable shooting support that conveniently attaches to almost any firearm with a sling swivel stud.

Last edited:

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. I believe the springs keep the legs locked in place much more securely than those without. Mine all have springs on the legs.
    2. If it says it mounts to a sling swivel stud you will have to have one. If you are putting this on an AR it will matter what forearm you are using. Several sling swivel stud adapters are available and they are not very expensive.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Make these shooting sticks. Often belly down you can't see the game due to terrain and foliage. Make these real cheap:

2 Fiberglass tent poles, 24 inches each +-
    2 1/2 inch thick rubber foot pads
    2 4 inch sections of surgical rubber tubing
    2 Rubber coated clamps that fit the poles and use a nut and bolt to close.
    1 Dog leash style clip. Optional.
    Put some talc powder on the male ends of the poles and slide the tubing down until flush.
    Install the clamps 1 inch below the tubing with the flat back of the clamps touching. Add a jam nut and adjust friction.
    You may want to mount the "clip" at this location depending on how you will carry it (Clip to Belt loop).
    Mount the rubber foot pads to the hollow female end of the tent poles. I use big course screws that snug into the female end with a washer above the rubber.

Skymonkey022

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some tango down adjustable bipods for 50$, I sold a set to fupagunt yesterday. I have them on a couple of my guns and they work great. Let me know if you want a pair. NIB, black. I can send pics if you like

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Harris Engineering made bipod back in the early 80's. They had a patent on their three different models back then. The patent expired and the other companies started producing an exact looking replica of the Harris product. NOTHING... repeat...NOTHING is as good of quality as a Harris,even now.

I have been using the Harris since day one. So has the military. Get the Harris 6-9 for the bench,the 9-13 for prone..make sure either is the swiveling model,install the Posi-Lock feature,you will be happy. --- SAWMAN

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What SAWMAN Said. I just bought a cheap one off ebay and was hoping it may pass muster, IT DID NOT!! You Really Do Get Just What You Pay For.

Top Bottom