• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobiaskendall

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello everyone! I've been in the area for four years or so and have been getting lost in the "For Sale" section here for a little while now, but never introduced myself. I've been shooting for as long as I can remember and recently started getting much more interested in the sport. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the local firearms community, because I've got a whole lot to learn.

Well, this year I'm a senior in high school and for my senior capstone project I am learning how to reload. As one of the last stages of this project, I need to include a community service aspect that is related to shooting or reloading. My plan for this is to find a local range and host a shooting competition, with the proceeds going to a charity supporting our veterans. From what I have found, the Semper Fi Fund seems to be one of the better options for this, with over 93% of donated funds going directly into their programs according to the sources I've found (which is high compared to most of the other options), but I am open to recommendations if anyone has any first-hand experience with these kinds of organizations. I want to make sure that whoever the money goes to is really taking care of our returning soldiers, not just using them for profit. There will also be some sort of prize for the smallest group shot, which will depend on how many people sign up. Anyways, I was just wanting to gauge interest and see what the rest of you think before calling around the local ranges. This project has been a great opportunity so far and I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!
    -Tobias

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    and a Merry Christmas back to you Tobias...

what you will learn will stay with you forever, and the reasons we own guns...enjoy..learn, ..shoot...have fun

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thank you. I'm eighteen sir.

I see that you've been a member here since May of last year, yet your profile shows that you just turned 18 in October of this year. That's a violation of the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered:

Terms of Use said:
    Users must be 18 years of age or older and legally able to own a firearm.

Since you're now 18 and seem to be trying to do good things, I'll let it slide. Just be sure to be on your best behavior moving forward.

Thanks!

tobiaskendall

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see that you've been a member here since May of last year, yet your profile shows that you just turned 18 in October of this year. That's a violation of the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered:

Since you're now 18 and seem to be trying to do good things, I'll let it slide. Just be sure to be on your best behavior moving forward.

Thanks!
    Yes sir, I apologize. That was a mistake on my end and I will do my best to adhere to the Terms of Use from here on out. Thanks for the pass on that one, I appreciate it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hello everyone! I've been in the area for four years or so and have been getting lost in the "For Sale" section here for a little while now, but never introduced myself. I've been shooting for as long as I can remember and recently started getting much more interested in the sport. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from the local firearms community, because I've got a whole lot to learn.

Well, this year I'm a senior in high school and for my senior capstone project I am learning how to reload. As one of the last stages of this project, I need to include a community service aspect that is related to shooting or reloading. My plan for this is to find a local range and host a shooting competition, with the proceeds going to a charity supporting our veterans. From what I have found, the Semper Fi Fund seems to be one of the better options for this, with over 93% of donated funds going directly into their programs according to the sources I've found (which is high compared to most of the other options), but I am open to recommendations if anyone has any first-hand experience with these kinds of organizations. I want to make sure that whoever the money goes to is really taking care of our returning soldiers, not just using them for profit. There will also be some sort of prize for the smallest group shot, which will depend on how many people sign up. Anyways, I was just wanting to gauge interest and see what the rest of you think before calling around the local ranges. This project has been a great opportunity so far and I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!
    -Tobias

If you have any questions about reloading, there are many great resources on this site.

As far as your community service project, it may be easier to piggyback onto an existing competition than organize a separate one. You might be able to get a match director to charge an extra $5 per person with that money going to your charity, or you can have your own separate event right after an existing match, where people can stick around and shoot yours. Just some ideas.

tobiaskendall

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have any questions about reloading, there are many great resources on this site.

As far as your community service project, it may be easier to piggyback onto an existing competition than organize a separate one. You might be able to get a match director to charge an extra $5 per person with that money going to your charity, or you can have your own separate event right after an existing match, where people can stick around and shoot yours. Just some ideas.
    Thanks for the input. I've already been reading as much as I can from the reloading section here and have found some great information. As for the competition, those are both not bad ideas since they would be easier to organize and probably less expensive to set up. I'll have to start looking for some upcoming competitions and try my luck there. Thank you for the advice!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the input. I've already been reading as much as I can from the reloading section here and have found some great information. As for the competition, those are both not bad ideas since they would be easier to organize and probably less expensive to set up. I'll have to start looking for some upcoming competitions and try my luck there. Thank you for the advice!

Happy to help. A lot of the local action pistol matches are listed here: http://shootingsportscalendar.com/calendar/, but there are many other types of shooting matches as well.

Last edited:

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks!

DANG...

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tobias, as fer charitable organizations just call up Shoal River and you can get ideas from them. They would probably host it too. I know we have done a Skeet shoot fer the Baker boys the last 2 years in a row and have had an excellent turnout! Good luck in your endeavors and don't sweat some of the junk that happens along your path.

tobiaskendall

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tobias, as fer charitable organizations just call up Shoal River and you can get ideas from them. They would probably host it too. I know we have done a Skeet shoot fer the Baker boys the last 2 years in a row and have had an excellent turnout! Good luck in your endeavors and don't sweat some of the junk that happens along your path.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Once I get the chance, I'll have to see what Shoal River has to say about it. I'll try and see if there are any upcoming competitions that I can work with first, but if that doesn't happen I'll be sure to give Shoal a call about hosting one there.

Top Bottom