• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone up for a technical discussion ? Here's my question. I have fired every load except chocolate pudding out if this cannon and want to do something a bit different. Was looking at some muzzloader sabots which coincidence would have it Mic .502. Hmm wonder if these plus a 230 gr .44 bullet could function the same way as the old accelerator 30-06 ? Being as the case capacity is enormous how fun would it be to build a light load that still clocks 11-1400 fps. Yes I know that's a different way of saying .44 mag key word here is different. Apart from the possibility of issues with the forcing cone anyone have any other thoughts ?? It would be super cheap and way more fun than making wax loads.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Add to the previous post...muzzle brake has been removed and replaced with a non compensated version for this exercise.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a NEF Handi Rifle(no forcing cone)chambered in 500S&W Mag. I have shot some of the Power Belt line of M/L bullets out of it. The ones I have shot are the 295gr HP and the 245gr Areo Tip's. The 50 cal Power Belts come in a 223gr also. These are "full 50's" so will shoot great outta your pistol. They are however, kinda pricy unless you can get them for $7.00 per pack as I did some years ago.

The sabot's are cheap, as are the pistol bullets that you would use. BTW,I do not believe that a 230gr,.429-.430" bullet is produced. It would however(I have been thinking about this)be "interesting" to load up a 180gr Hornady XTP in a sabot and see just how fast I could move it outta my 18 inches of bbl. CRAP !! I do believe that I could melt the sabot. Depending on weather I could find the "just right" powder or not,I'd bet that I could get >3000fps outta it........and of course....a huge ball of fire. (I absolutely love stuff like this)

For your revo you would have to worry about the COAL thing AND the heavy crimp thing. You start inertia pulling bullets it will lock up your cylinder. Also to your point of a sabot going thru a forcing cone. Could be kinda iffy. Would start with something super light. I mean..."have to peek down the bbl to see if the bullet exited,light". --- SAWMAN

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those .500 handi rifles are a beast !! We blew some 400 gr sierras through one a friend has. Now that will chip your teeth !! As to the 230 gr bullets you are correct sir, production bullets are not typical in that weight. I have about a blue million that I cast for a 44/40 that we intended to shoot as CA practice and never found the time. Were supposed to be in the 220 gr range but if you've ever cast boolits you know what is like. I'm thinkin a starting load of 7 grains Accurate #2 behind the plastic and let her rip. Should be close in pressure to a 40 s&w load if my math is right. Nowhere near the typical 50k+ the big guns typically see with factory loads. I just want to tame the beast a lol so Wifey can shoot it more than 4-5 times. As to the 3000 fps 180 gr that would be sweet if it works. Hell I have a chrony you can use to clock em. The big sixguns are a ball. Somethin about moving 275 grains of Barnes copper at 2k fps out of a revolver just impresses Hell out of me. The guys at Smith did a great job with the X frame ! Will report back with results.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did I also mention that autocorrect on smartphones sucks! I actually passed English in high school. Wish my Droid had taken the classes with me.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use Trail Boss powder and a 440gr hardcast. The velocity is right at 700fps. What a great feeling load. I would be willing to bet that this would completely penetrare a whitetail and probably a 150lb hog.

I have loaded this gun so far above factory(closer to 60K than to 50K)loads that it reminded me of my 458Lott. I will eventually give some of the Ranger Rick's 700gr hardcast a try ........... just for fun. ---- SAWMAN

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bwahahaha...the 700 gr would be Freaking epic !!!! Have you looked at those monsters...7000 grains to a pound. 1/10th of a pound of pure love !!! Can I get an AMEN. Bolt it to the turret that was for sale and now you have a light cannon ;) Hooray

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Holy crap..I still have all 10 fingers. Lmao. That does NOT work...the sabot kinda melts in the bore. Bwahahaha

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One of the heavier Barnes solid copper or the 440gr hardcast will shoot thru anything that I would ever want to kill so wondering the app for the 700's. Will still pick up some........just to own. --- SAWMAN

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heck if you wind up with some let me know. I'll split the cost with you and try a couple in the wheelgun. Ok maybe just one.

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey if anyone is interested i have hot loads developed in 610 and 700 grain. incredible stopping power. at work now but can post the recipes when i get home

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May I please ask.....that weapon were these loads developed for ?? What kind of pressures do these loads produce ?? I have already got some 50K loads...NOW....looking for some closer to 60Kpsi. Not with this weight of bullet though.

PIC's ---> L to R is: 223Rem -- 500S&W Mag w/ 375gr Barnes XPB -- 500S&W Mag w/ 440gr WFNGC (.335" meplate) --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00921.jpg
      DSC00921.jpg
      223.5 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey saw both loads used cci large rifle primers. standard not magnum, the 700 is loaded to 2.197 with 27.6grains of lil gun and chronoed at 1315 fps. it is compressed and it was most accurate at .045 jump. best accuracy i got was just a shade over 3 inches at 100. i know thats not good for a benchrest shooter but these were designed for stopping bison with 1 shot. the 610 grain load uses 31.2 grains of lil gun and is seated to 2.280 and runs on average of 1429 fps. both loads were developed in a stock handi rifle with a 10 degree crown cut in the muzzle.these still have a little ways to go if ur brave enough as they were just starting to flatten the primers.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My Handi has a 18" bbl and the LOP has been cut back to 13.25 inches. It has a Warne base and Warne heavy duty steel rings. It wears a 2.5X Leupold Safari style scope with heavy duplex. I also added a Limbsaver recoil pad to help mitigate the recoil somewhat.

That load with the 610gr bullet @ 1429 looks like it would be kinda stout. I also feel that 3 inches at 100yds is super for these little <$300 guns. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0005.jpg
      SANY0005.jpg
      261.6 KB · Views: 124

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just quick math here. A 700gr load at that velocity would produce approx 50ft/lb of recoil impulse at approx 30fps. Survey says...I will watch from a safe distance.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Handi has a 18" bbl and the LOP has been cut back to 13.25 inches. It has a Warne base and Warne heavy duty steel rings. It wears a 2.5X Leupold Safari style scope with heavy duplex. I also added a Limbsaver recoil pad to help mitigate the recoil somewhat.

That load with the 610gr bullet @ 1429 looks like it would be kinda stout. I also feel that 3 inches at 100yds is super for these little <$300 guns. --- SAWMAN
    That's a wicked looking handi ! Nicely done sir

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey one other thing i forgot to tell u, the molds for the bullets came from mountain molds and were pretty cheap. they can make you whatever you want. mostly ill use discarded wheel weights cause they are free. saw i see youre from cantonment, next time i go to the range (prapc) in cantonment you can meet me and try some out before you buy the molds . some like it but most dont after 1 shot. the 700s are pretty brutal, kinda remind me of being married, they just dont kick as hard

Top Bottom