• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What are some good handgun drills? I'm looking to get better in all aspects: defensive shooting, accuracy, speed, reloads, etc.

I would love to find some drills similar to the one below that don't require a lot of specialized equipment, steel targets or the like.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like to practice my draw and double tap.....but with a few snap caps mixed into the magazine.
    You can have a friend load it....or even better....load it with your eyes closed.
    Really improves your reaction speed when dealing with malfunctions.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My opinion ---> There are other things to concentrate on besides shear speed. Going to cover(if possible) is (to me)as important as speed. As long as you do not give up "very much" speed.....FIND COVER !! You can present your weapon,even come to eye level,but keep moving to cover. Also situational awareness is a huge factor. Standing flat footed,present,and shoot,practice is not the training that we do. This is not a test of some kind of extreme accuracy. COM(center of mass)is actually a pretty big target. Especially at the handgun fighting distances. A huge percentage of the fights occur at well under 15yds. You should be able to present, and hit COM everytime, WHILE MOVING,at that distance. The three ranges that we use are 15,7,and 3yds. Sure....sight in your pistol for whatever range.....BUT.....practice at <15yds. MOVING WHILE SHOOTING.

AND.....lets not argue about the ranges that you should be shooting at. If you feel that you will encounter a BG at 50yds .......hell......practice at that range. ---- SAWMAN
    EDIT TO ADD: Make sure that you also practice shooting from several retention positions(a spotter is a MUST),you just might need that skill one day also. Before you start training for this, make sure to take a close look at the brass ejection ... OR...the flash from the cylinder of that revo. OUCH !!

Last edited:

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Moving to cover is the key to surviving a fight, that and hitting the bad guy.
    Hard to find a range that allows lateral movement while firing.
    IDPA is a good way to practice.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Scuba, him standing on a ball, eating a sandwich, the other on his crotch and shooting is an indelible drill I never want to see again! Glad to oblige!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The above are great links to show how a person SHOULD NOT be trained. Hanging upside down.....this trains you for what ?? Just silly !! Showmanship .....??

One finger slide rack........personally we practice using the front side of the slide on the edge of the bench(you can tell it by looking at my Glock 32) This is simply a one handed get back into the action thing. After the mag is in place we grip the pistol as normal and push it down on the bench. KEEP FINGER OUT OF TRIGGER GUARD !!

This is what we do. I am NOT endorsing this or recommending that anyone train this way. I would say though....I would NEVER carry any semi-auto without the mag being able to extend somewhat out past the mag well. All 1911's that I own or ever have owned I have installed a mag extension(mag bumper) on every mag for the weapon. --- SAWMAN

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I practice using similar techniques, beyond just youtube and self apps, who's local that y'all recommend, apparently not the capt...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I teach several classes - from basic to advanced drills - drawing from a holster and from concealment, timed drills, and more. All in accordance with the NRA Advanced Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Jeff

Top Bottom