• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We all, post 2020 Wuhan Plague, know the value of most guns has increased Handguns and rifle prices seem lately to head towards the stratosphere. What guns are you investing in to both enjoy our hobby and or use as a future “nest egg” so you don’t have to work beyond 70 yrs of age (unless you really want to…I have a coworker who’s turning 80 soon and he tells us he’s working or his great grandchildren won’t have a Christmas). What are your thoughts, what say you…? Yes some will be handed down to our kids and grandkids, but again if you bought a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 in the 90’s they are selling for double what they use to cost as a example…Where did the “MAGA” $300 basic AR-15 go?

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AR’s are still cheap! As are many plastic pistols! Things like marlin lever actions take a lot of machining and labor and most materials have gone up with the trillions printed! The problem with guns being an investment is the govt continues to increase restrictions particularly on private sales! Anyone believe that will change?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sold all the stuff that tripled in value, moved a bunch of AR's during the plandemic for probably 4x. I tend to invest in 9mm glocks for future need financial planning. Even suburban house wives know what a glock is.

Used the money to buy some grail stuff ( to me) wish I'd bought more ammo. Hell, wish I'd cashed out my 401k and bought ammo, 556,223,x39, could've x4 my money at the height of the nonsense festival.
    Rkguns was running a sale on anderson AR'S here recently for $399.
    If you keep your eyes open you can still snipe a deal. I buy alot of high cap magazines too.(1994!)
    Some will go to sons, grandkids, neices, nephews ( male AND female) that I know will use, cherish as an heirloom- not take to the pawnshop.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’ve seen various AR’s well under $400 quite a bit lately. Anderson, ATI, Del-ton, etc. when I bought my AR about 3 years ago there wasn’t much under $700.

Pistols crazy cheap too. Wish ammo had come back down to pre covid prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    HKs have always given me great returns. I look back at the ones I sold in 2010 and some prices have more than doubled since then. There's one or three I'd love to have back...
    Like anything, you have to have good timing "know when to hold them, know when to fold them"

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Just wait till they do to semi autos what they already did to the full autos. Get ready for $100,000 full auto AR's and $15,000 semi auto AR's to be the norm. We're only one good false flag crisis away from this. The voting margins between left and right in DC are too close

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have probably lost 30% on my gun investment. My real estate investment here in Nw Fl has tripled in value since I purchased in 2010. Buying used guns at discounted prices is one thing. But Buying production guns, paying tax and then a transfer fee is a poor investment every time.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have probably lost 30% on my gun investment. My real estate investment here in Nw Fl has tripled in value since I purchased in 2010. Buying used guns at discounted prices is one thing. But Buying production guns, paying tax and then a transfer fee is a poor investment every time.
    That only means you're buying the wrong guns for investment and buying them in the wrong place. You just got to up your A game. You got to go big or go home if you want to make the real money in investment guns and that's by becoming an FFL and getting them at dealer cost, becoming best friends with an FFL or marrying an FFL. The only thing more lucrative is becoming Lord of War in Somalia or Ukraine ;)

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We all, post 2020 Wuhan Plague, know the value of most guns has increased Handguns and rifle prices seem lately to head towards the stratosphere. What guns are you investing in to both enjoy our hobby and or use as a future “nest egg” so you don’t have to work beyond 70 yrs of age (unless you really want to…I have a coworker who’s turning 80 soon and he tells us he’s working or his great grandchildren won’t have a Christmas). What are your thoughts, what say you…? Yes some will be handed down to our kids and grandkids, but again if you bought a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 in the 90’s they are selling for double what they use to cost as a example…Where did the “MAGA” $300 basic AR-15 go?
    You have to keep the effect of inflation in mind. If you sell that gun that you paid a $100 for back in 1980 For $379 Today You just broke even.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I used to have an FFL and dealt mostly in used guns. I bought any gun I could make a profit on. I bought a lot of estate lots where someone passed away and the wife or family just wanted to deal with one person and wanted the guns gone. In those kind of deals you usually get a few that are really desirable and several that move slowly. After several years of this I had a couple of safes full of dogs. I had an auction and sold over 140 and came out way ahead of what I would have sold them for dragging them to gun shows.
    I now invest in guns that have collector value and that I like. Mainly old Colts and Winchester and Marlin lever rifles. Not just run of the mill model 94's or 336's, I focus on either older or more rare configurations. These seem to appreciate in value more than others.
    I have no interest in and don't think there will every be a big collector market in any of the black plastic guns unless they have some unique provenance connected to them. Not saying there isn't money to be made on them if you buy them right and hold them to sell in the next panic, but I have been there and done that and just do it different now.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IMO the "buy guns now make money later" ship has sailed, circled the globe, and is now rusting in dry dock.

There will always be spurts here and there but the hot item of today might not be in the future and I'm not one to think it's a solid financial plan.

Factory ammo at a REALLY GREAT price might do well in a few years, then again, it might not.

Kind of hard to knock land or a house for growth potential. As far as guns/ammo, come November we will get an indicator.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Condition , rarity & having the complete package . If you have something scarce , uncommon with all the original stuff it left the factory with including the box & in like new condition that's what collectors want , seek & lust over . So if you're looking at it as an investment you'd best be wealthy already , because beating the bushes for pristine examples is a full-time job , especially investment grade .
    Sometimes rarity trumps or equals condition . Once had a S&W Model 1950 Military pre-21 44 Spcl with a 6 1/2" barrel . S&W only made 300 in that barrel length . I'll let you price one in LNIB . 20 yrs ago a 96% of same model / config no box just the gun & original grips went for over 2500 . That's the kinda of stuff to buy for an investment , but only if you can get it for 60% of current market value . If not you don't have an investment .

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I used to have an FFL and dealt mostly in used guns. I bought any gun I could make a profit on. I bought a lot of estate lots where someone passed away and the wife or family just wanted to deal with one person and wanted the guns gone. In those kind of deals you usually get a few that are really desirable and several that move slowly. After several years of this I had a couple of safes full of dogs. I had an auction and sold over 140 and came out way ahead of what I would have sold them for dragging them to gun shows.
    I now invest in guns that have collector value and that I like. Mainly old Colts and Winchester and Marlin lever rifles. Not just run of the mill model 94's or 336's, I focus on either older or more rare configurations. These seem to appreciate in value more than others.
    I have no interest in and don't think there will every be a big collector market in any of the black plastic guns unless they have some unique provenance connected to them. Not saying there isn't money to be made on them if you buy them right and hold them to sell in the next panic, but I have been there and done that and just do it different now.
    Bought the original black plastic gun, HK VP70z, for less than $400, shortly after I purchased the newly released HK USP, again for less than $400. Check the prices on those today. Back when surplus 7.62x51 was selling for $100+ a case of 1000, I stacked up 20,000 rounds! In 2010 I survived by selling guns and ammo, the 308 was up to $350 a thousand, and I sold $10,000 of HKs to one man, and he didn't even get them all!
    Like I said before, timing...

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In my experience, a lot of guns hold their value pretty well unless they're super-mass produced. Selling a S&W 686 for near what you paid for it is easy, selling a plastic fantastic Glock or Sig is likely going to be a loss unless new laws make the sales of them restricted in the future. AR's are like 9mm glocks and P-series Sigs, at this point, just about everybody has one or more. I sold my AR's after Sandy Hook for a helluva lot more than I had invested in them, so if there's another big scare they might jump up again like they did then. I haven't bought another one since, as there's just nothing that fun about them anymore. Practical, yes, but boring for me. So, picking guns that I would call investments are going to be things that aren't very common, are higher-end, or have high collector value as opposed to everybody has one type firearms is the way to go.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    IMO the "buy guns now make money later" ship has sailed, circled the globe, and is now rusting in dry dock.

There will always be spurts here and there but the hot item of today might not be in the future and I'm not one to think it's a solid financial plan.

Factory ammo at a REALLY GREAT price might do well in a few years, then again, it might not.

Kind of hard to knock land or a house for growth potential. As far as guns/ammo, come November we will get an indicator.
    Like paper money, they can always make more guns and ammo. Land is the one thing they are not able to make any more of.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Just wait till they do to semi autos what they already did to the full autos. Get ready for $100,000 full auto AR's and $15,000 semi auto AR's to be the norm. We're only one good false flag crisis away from this. The voting margins between left and right in DC are too close
    They won't go that high.

Top Bottom