• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    ^this exactly. With the possible exception of mom & pop operations, every major storage company I am aware of expressly prohibits firearms & ammunition from being stored. It’s in the fine print of the contract.

It’s also an issue when they’re found in abandoned/foreclosed units when cleaned out. The storage company can sell them through an FFL after being cleared by LE. I learned this after an acquaintance from church whom I did not know well, with no family, was tragically killed in an accident. We had talked about guns before and he mentioned a local storage facility where he had quite a collection. After he died the pastor and I agreed for me to try to purchase the unit at auction when the time came as we knew there was no family to pay the bill. The deal was I get to keep a few for my troubles, the rest we sell or raffle for the church. I kept tabs on it and several months later saw the auction notice. It was done via an online auction and the first thing in big bold letters at the top was “if you’re here for the guns, they’re gone, stop calling us!” and gave the number to a gun shop where they could be found apparently that guy had ran his mouth to a quite a few people about what was in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This story is all over the place.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    I’m not following this. Why would the church be involved? Were they putting up the money to try to win
    Probably 25 years ago I answered a classified ad advertising guns for sale. They were at a storage unit. This guy had a LOT of NIB guns which he had inherited from his father who had a home-based FFL.
    He had some very desirable guns but that was the weirdest dude I’ve ever encountered. You couldn’t get a straight answer out of him. He talked in circles.
    It was like he was afraid he was gonna leave a dollar on the table. I finally got frustrated and left without buying anything.
    LOL, I know that guy you are talking about from the flea market, and you are correct, he is very flaky, borderline crazy. I also tried to buy a S&W or two but finally bailed also. One time he said " You can't come over today because the planes are putting out some kind of poison spray and I can't go outside (vapor trails), he lived somewhere near flight path of airport.) BUT all was legit as far as I know. A friend who got to know him and could talk his language actually bought a lot of stuff from him. He had quite a few NIB vintage S&W and Ruger pistols.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    I’m not following this. Why would the church be involved? Were they putting up the money to try to win the auction?
    I thought the business wasn’t supposed to go thru it before auctioning it off?
    That leads me to believe there’s no sense in attending a storage auction since the good stuff has already been taken by the owner.
    Probably 25 years ago I answered a classified ad advertising guns for sale. They were at a storage unit. This guy had a LOT of NIB guns which he had inherited from his father who had a home-based FFL.
    He had some very desirable guns but that was the weirdest dude I’ve ever encountered. You couldn’t get a straight answer out of him. He talked in circles.
    It was like he was afraid he was gonna leave a dollar on the table. I finally got frustrated and left without buying anything.
    I met the same dude. The home was across from the Post Office. The storage unit was on Creighton. I didn't buy anything from the dude either.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    LOL, I know that guy you are talking about from the flea market, and you are correct, he is very flaky, borderline crazy. I also tried to buy a S&W or two but finally bailed also. One time he said " You can't come over today because the planes are putting out some kind of poison spray and I can't go outside (vapor trails), he lived somewhere near flight path of airport.) BUT all was legit as far as I know. A friend who got to know him and could talk his language actually bought a lot of stuff from him. He had quite a few NIB vintage S&W and Ruger pistols.
    That makes three of us so far. We all had the same impression about the dude and his inheritance. Somethings in life are just not worth getting involved.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    I can tolerate a little crazy. However, I draw the line at a lot crazy. As I remember he was talking that screwball shit when I met him as well. I think that was what put me over the edge. I apologize for going off topic. It just took me by surprise that we all met the dude and we all had exactly the same impression.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dan and John, that’s the guy. He had some nice stuff, like was said NIB Smiths and Rugers and a bunch of other stuff.
    I remember model 10s were $250 and Super Blackhawks were $450 which, at the time, were not bargains.
    He had a small unit with probably 25 guns in it but he said he had a much larger unit with lots of guns. All NIB.
    He mentioned that he had Marlin Camp 45s in the big unit for $500. That was a good price but he said he didn’t have time to show me right then.
    I said “Ok, if I come back after work with $1,000 cash, you will sell me two Camp 45s, correct?”
    He looked right at me and said “Maybe I will and maybe I won’t.”
    I had enough and left. Never contacted him again.
    About 2 years later he had a classified ad in the paper that read “Wanted: Millionaire to buy lots of NIB Rugers, Smiths, etc.”
    He and an old dude off Gulf Beach highway were the strangest sellers I’ve ever come in contact with.

kimbernut

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Looking at their site they appear to be quality product. I do see some issues with electronic lock in garages from time to time but not many. Sometimes the circuit boards don't like moisture. You may find one of those battery power weather stations that shows inside/outside temp and humidity. Put one part inside and you can monitor the other part from outside...some even have magnetic backs...just a quick glance and you can see if there is an issue. Once you get the inside cu in you can get the correct size rod/rods or the plug in rechargeable type dehumidifier....and they are sized.

I use 1/4" steel rods for most of my concrete if needed or that thick walled pvc....just remember the larger the diameter of the rod the faster it rolls...things go sideways fast :D. You can even lay them so that once you set the safe close on the rods you can push it straight back to the wall...or walk it back to the wall with a pry bar...then pry the corner up and remove the rods...move to the other corner and do the same.

Most gloss finish safes are finished with an automotive urethane finish...probably no need to wipe it with oil. The bottoms are not generally finished and like mentioned will rust on contact with concrete from wicking water. I wouldn't recommend setting it on a pallet unless you were transporting it somewhere. You can put a piece of Tyvek down under a piece of 3/4 plywood and drill through it all to anchor...that will give you the most stable mounting. It will take a lot of work to get under it to attempt to pry the anchors. I have used carpet cut to the right size and turned it carpet down/ backing up, stall mats, and older truck bed mats before. Sometimes they may still rock a little with the later though.

Another option it to climate control your garage with one of those 115V mini split heat pumps you can buy pre-charged at Lowe's or Home Depot. You'll have that paid for in no time instead of paying rent off site and you will still be cover by your homeowners policy.
    What he said!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 24

kimbernut

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I know exactly who you are talking about, a friend of mine
    I think he likes to remain anonymous even tho he is legal
    Maybe due too his large collection

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    @kimbernut I wasn't referring to you. There is another guy I've heard stories about. Bunch of old military items, machine guns, etc. Lol.
    The guy I’m thinking of sold all kinds of sporting goods - guns, fishing equipment, outboard motors, guy stuff.
    I heard he went to a lot of yard sales.
    He had ads in all the free publications like Thrifty Nickel, under $100 PNJ classifieds, etc.
    He had a short fuse. Ask one too many questions and he would hang up on you. I last dealt with him about 10 years ago and he was in a wheelchair.
    He had some good deals but boy he was ornery.

kimbernut

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The guy I’m thinking of sold all kinds of sporting goods - guns, fishing equipment, outboard motors, guy stuff.
    I heard he went to a lot of yard sales.
    He had ads in all the free publications like Thrifty Nickel, under $100 PNJ classifieds, etc.
    He had a short fuse. Ask one too many questions and he would hang up on you. I last dealt with him about 10 years ago and he was in a wheelchair.
    He had some good deals but boy he was ornery.
    This isn’t the guy I’m talking about

Top Bottom