• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wren

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, we were digging through my father in laws gun collection that we inherited looking for a gun for my daughter in law to use and came across a Remington .280. I know nothing about this gun and everyone I talked to said they don't either. I would like to find some ammo to use for this gun but haven't been able to. Any advice or information on this gun?

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scott's in jay has the ammo on occasion. I've bought some at Styx also but its been a while.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll love it. Its a little bouncy for a female shooter unless she's used to recoil. Not unpleasant but definitely more noticeable than a .243. The poly tipped projectiles tend to disintegrate and not exit. Try to stay in a traditional lead tip or at least a bonded bullet. I personally like the nosler partitions.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .280 Remington is a wonderful all around cartridge from Coyotes to Moose. Pick the right bullet for the occasion and your golden.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    OR ........... 7mm Express. It is a 30-06 necked to .284". Got a buddy in my club that has hunted with one for 20 years. Not quite as fast as a 7mm Rem Mag which IMO is a good thing for the shots that we have around here. Plenty of speed for the power lines or peanut fields though. Great supply of different bullets rangeing from a 100gr all the way up to a 195gr. Super easy to load for. Order your brass on line. Try Midway,Sportsmans Guide,Brownell's,Starline,and others. Dies from Hornady,RCBS,and others. Same shell holder as 30-06.

Great chambering. --- SAWMAN

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like sawman said, its in the family of cartridges based off the parent case... 30-06. It uses .284" (7mm) bullets and if you reload you can easily get factory 7mm Rem mag performance out of it. It is perfectly capable of taking any game in North America.

It is to the 7mm-08 what the 30-06 is to the .308 Win.

I havent been to work all week due to my wife getting out of the hospital but last time i was there we had .280 ammo at Mikes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,you had better get back to work. Larry said that he had to take your place as the guy that "knows everything" while you are away.

And ....forget about the 280AI. As "not needed" as a 7mm Rem Mag in this part of the country. I would also say .... give the lighter bullets(factory loads)a try. IMO a bullet >140grs is not needed hunting in NW Fla. --- SAWMAN

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    oh-boy !!!

just now noticed this thread....

I've been hunting with the 7 express (modern day .280) for over 35 years.

and believe what you want, its a great cartridge !!
    if the folks here only heard about them, they ain't gotta clue...

and the info on non'partition or non' bonded projectiles is only what they have seen.
    not what the loader did with there act of prep...man or machine...........:lol:

I handload for both of my 7x's one is factory 1962 and 1 is AI by me in '98

both shoot the same and have performance identical.

I use my handloaded nosler 140gr ballistic tip and have taken whitetail over 250yrds
    with shot placement to be DRT...many times. and I have had to find a few also...who ain't ??

so, you just need to get your 7-X like you want it and start with what someone already
    uses and likes.

both my barrels are 1:10 twist...thats important to your bullet choice !!!

BTW...I also have had the 7/08 and a few 7mags...but, there gone now...I like the 7X better:first:

good luck and if you need anything just holler..............:loco:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom