• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yallwatchthis

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to get a self defense gun for my wife I thought about the Smith and Wesson Airweight revolvers and other similar guns what would you get your wife for a carry gun. I don't want to do a pistol because I don't think she can handle the rack and reload if there was an issue during a time of destress. I,m looking for something with similar value to a glock 30 as that's what I'll be trading.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walther PK380 - very easy to work the slide and to load

Ruger SP101 or any of the steel snub nose revolvers with exposed hammer. Some folks find it hard to work a double action only trigger for accuracy and ease of shooting

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Is she recoil sensitive?
    Taurus 731 Ultra-Lite, .32H&R is a nice lite revolver.
    And, you get 6 shots instead of 5.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has she taken a course to get her permit? The instructor should have provided some guidance on this. My advise would be to get her some professional training that goes beyond the minimum required by law and then let her choose her own gun with the guidance of an instructor. Some of those permitting classes are a joke and in no way prepare one to starting carrying a concealed firearm in public imo.

Helo hunter would probably be more than happy to train her up and make sure she gets the right weapon for her and knows how to safely carry and deploy it. You might just be surprised how capable she is with some proper training. In my experiences women don't need us husbands or boyfriends picking their guns for them based on weaknesses we may perceive them as having. I don't know or have any association with Helo Hunter but it would appear he has the credentials and I don't believe I've ever met a Naval Aviator who wasn't a squared away dude.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure enough. The right gun for anybody depends on that person. All have advantages. Training should be in-depth and unhurried. The student should plan and clear the entire day for training. They should shoot as many platforms as possible to avoid a costly mistake at the retail counter. Ask around for recommended instructors.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just learned this weekend that the range on Quintette Road has a few rental guns available. The new indoor range may have some too. A rental to see what she prefers, and can handle, could save some time and money as Va boy stated.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Why not take her to a gun shop and try various handguns to see what fits her better. She might just surprise you. She could have more of an issue with a DA revolver than she would racking the slide of some pistols. I would have her look at some of the small 9mms like the Ruger LC9, Diamondback DB9, Glock 26, and maybe some .380s if need be. Gander Mountain has a really good inventory to check out, but I would look for different venues to purchase from.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you asked your wife? Take her to a gun shop/range and let her feel and shoot. Let her pick and if she has not done any shooting before get some training.

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife loves her 42. Pretty easy to work. If you get a wheelgun, don't get an airweight in 38. It'll turn hrr off shooting.

Pk380 is a tad larger but great too.

Yallwatchthis

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. Training was already on my list for her, and the gun will be her "house gun" until she is properly trained and has proven her ability to reliably and safely use the weapon, same as anyone that carries should have to do. Some good points were brought up though and that's why I asked this on the forum I knew it would offer a good variety of educated opinions. Thanks again

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pensacola Indoor Shooting Range has guns for rent and Ronda, a NRA certified instructor is there on Fridays for personal lessons. Or you can sign up for a CCW class with her.

critterbug

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My sister has had a 9 mm Shield for over a year now and loves it. I shot it and like it so well I picked up one for myself this week.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Today, I went over to pickup my new NDS-16A1 lower. I bought it to rebuild the Mk12 Mod 0. I had a C3 billet lower on it for a long time. A few years ago, I found out that the A1 lower was used for the Mk12 Mod 0. The lower has been assembled and the rifle is back together. I will have some pics up tomorrow.

Top Bottom