• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeep, I'll do my best to make it. Gotta see how the boss is feeling that day. Yep, married life...

MOA. Thank you, Sir. I'll try to run out there tomorrow. Apparently there's a bit of a shortage. If so, maybe I need to look into casting as well. I already have a press lined up, just gotta make sure they make the right dies for it.

Thank you gentlemen.

Casting for the fiddy is a waste of time and $$. Tried it..results sucked. I did however experience the joys of a lead lined barrel. Call out there and check stock before you make the trip.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^
    Yeah, I could see that. Doesn't sound like fun. Why the heavy crimp? So the brass doesn't stick?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So the hornady set has a sizer, expander, seater and crimper. Does the primer part of the operation happen during sizing and expanding or is that a separate step?

Also, what's the best way to clean brass in very small batches, by hand with hoppes?

With low volume, I mean very very low, as in maybe a box per month to start.

I apologize for the ignorance, I never really seriously thought about doing this until a couple of days ago.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So the hornady set has a sizer, expander, seater and crimper. Does the primer part of the operation happen during sizing and expanding or is that a separate step?

Also, what's the best way to clean brass in very small batches, by hand with hoppes?

With low volume, I mean very very low, as in maybe a box per month to start.

I apologize for the ignorance, I never really seriously thought about doing this until a couple of days ago.

Yes, typically you prime cases after all the forming operations are completed and you're ready to drop powder. Small batch cleaning I would do with a piece of 5/0 steel wool and a nylon brush for the inside of the case. Or you could drop em off and I will run them with my other cases.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Ok, last question before I start buying stuff. Do I need a four hole press, or should I get the single one to get my feet wet, switching dies between stages?

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, last question before I start buying stuff. Do I need a four hole press, or should I get the single one to get my feet wet, switching dies between stages?

I have 2 turret presses set up and never use either one. 99.9% of my loading is done on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage. To each his own though.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have 2 turret presses set up and never use either one. 99.9% of my loading is done on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage. To each his own though.

I'm the exact opposite. After I got my turret press, I sold my single stage because I never used it. I'm thinking about picking up another single stage sometime soon for my precision rifle rounds, but my turret press has proven to work pretty well. For handgun rounds, a turret is hard to beat for the price.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This all just goes to show the diversity in reloading, what's right for one is near useless for another. Only by jumping in and doing it will you figure out which route you want to go. But rest assured most all of us started with a single stage to learn the process at a slow enough speed to keep a careful eye on the loads before we started pumping out hundreds of rounds an hour on a fancy Dillon.

Rick

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^
    Absolutely. I'm actually gonna start with a 3 hole and use it as a single stage (picking it up Saturday) If I find that the bullet seating die doesn't crimp well enough, I'll set up a separate dedicated single or do the 4 hole conversion.

Lots of versatility indeed. I'm getting into this for the awesome calibers that it opens up to be able to shoot, which at this point are mainly loaders cartridges, but I'm starting out with the mission to tame the beast.

Thanks to all for your comments, interest, input and help. Let the fun begin...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm sure you already know, but I'll mention it here anyway. There's two different cases out there for 500, ones that take a large pistol primer and those that take a large rifle primer. I can't remember why they switched to the LR primers, but get the ones marked L or LR on the case head. I haven't found any that weren't for the LRP's.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ yup.
    I have 3 boxes right now, they're all the LR primer. I just plan on reloading what I have from shooting. I'll pick up a couple of more boxes soon so that I have about 100 rds handy.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    How low can you go without fearing detonation? I'd like to put something together that feels like a 357, for my stepdaughter to shoot.
    The Winchester Super X loads, 350 gr at 1400 fps are supposed to have 1/3 the recoil energy, which should be about 20lbs. In a 5lb gun, I wonder if something like that is low enough.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Good deal. What about detonation? Apparently the manufacturers deny it's existence.
    If anybody cares, here's the updated lineup, they'll be at the meet up.
    sedymebe.jpg

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Detonation is not supposed to be an issue with Trail Boss. It's very bulky for it's weight so it fills the case and reduced loads is what it's designed for.

Top Bottom