• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A fairly recient pic of the club over close to Ebro. This is the club that we use for hogs only. This club comes complete with a gator pond that we use for our garbage disposal. After we clean a hog we put him on the bank of the pond. Next morning all that is left is drag marks. After a PM hunt it is kinda tricky gettin' down to the edge of the water draggin a hog and scanning for gator eyes. I usually whistle allot. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• PICT0096.jpg
      PICT0096.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 301

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another pic of hogs that I had on a club that I belonged to. Cam date is wrong,this was 2009. I used to feed them canning pears and they would scarf them up after they started to ferment. I intentionally left this pic big so you could take a good look at them assaulting my roll barrel.--- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
      DSC_0019.jpg
      263.3 KB · Views: 311

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMHO this is the only place to put a well make bullet,coming out of "enough" gun. Square on the shoulder. If you do the head/neck shots you eventually will have a hell of a tracking job on your hands.

Our areas are right on the edge of some nasty black mud swamps. If a hog goes 50yds you might never find him. In the guns of .430" and above a WFNGC(wide flat nose gas check)hardcast bullet works great to hammer them. In chamberings that have a smaller bore,the solid copper bullets are great. A 55gr Barnes TSX out of my 223Rem or a 85gr out of my 6.8SPC does a great job. OR.......a 766gr out of my 10ga "carbine" will work. (I do not agree with the "behind the shoulder statement.)--- SAWMAN

Attachments

• kill_shots1.jpg
      kill_shots1.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 302

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those pics are crazy! So many of them! And the thought of a 'gator pond' is interesting to say the least....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We saw some small gators in the weeds the other day. There were about 5 or 6 of them and they were about 10 inches long. The mama gator is about 6ft and she's not too awfully shy.

This is three of my heavy hitters. TOP--> NEF Handi Rifle chambered in .45-70 Govt. Leupold 1-4X24 Heavy Duplex. I handload a 405gr WFNGC at pretty much top end velocities for this gun. MIDDLE--> NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 500S&W Mag. I use 440gr WFNGC's in this gun. The scope is a 2.5X heavy duplex. BOTTON-->NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 444Marlin. It shoots a 300gr WFNGC....uh.....FAST. It is scoped with a 1-4X24 Leupold also.

All three guns have had the length of the bbls reduced to 18 inches and the LOP reduced to 13.25 inches. Very easy to carry and extremely handy little guns. Great to use in a shooting blind or ladder stand. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00636.jpg
      DSC00636.jpg
      233.1 KB · Views: 285
    Last edited:

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    great pics and hardware , love seeing what others are using and hunting = thanks

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    damn thats a bunch of hogs! nice guns too. does chopping the barrel affect accuracy range a whole lot? would it still shoot good at about 150 yards?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Barrel legnth has absolutely no effect on accuracy. It does lower the muzzle velocities somewhat. Only about 20-30fps per inch though. These are all close range guns. A 100yd shot would be fairly long for how these guns are used. They are typically used in an elevated position like a ladder stand or a ground blind watching a hog trail. In our baited area the shots are typically about 75yds.

I have done some expieraments handloading my ammo using Trail Boss powder. These guns are extremely plesent to shoot the big bullets in at <900fps. It is kinda like a small push. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is my main hog slayer nowadays. Where I hunt the ranges could be 150+yds. Usually the hogs come to, and stay around the feed, that is out to 85yds, but a couple of weeks ago the sounder was a little skittish and wondered off to 125 or so and was going further, so had to shoot.

This platform,plus the action,plus the chambering,PLUS the scope,makes this the "perfect" hog slayer for my purposes. It is a AR platform with a mega billet upper(side charge),Bushmaster lower, topped with a Leupold VX-R 3-9X50(CDS) set in a Burris PEPR mount. This weapon has a 6.8SPC II chamber with a 1:11 twist,4 groove bbl. My bullet of choice is a Barnes 85gr TSX at 3000fps.

Any of you low light/night time hunters need to take a serious look at the above line of scopes. They are the absolute best for the money that I have ever seen. I would also recommend the simple duplex reticle in this line of scopes. They are not as ...."busy". I also have another gun(Benelli MR1)with a VX-R that has a 40mm objective. This is also an excellent scope. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0011.jpg
      SANY0011.jpg
      229.2 KB · Views: 215
    • SANY0010.jpg
      SANY0010.jpg
      217.5 KB · Views: 212

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can we agree to disagree? For any given load there is a point where the powder charge is fully consumed and and pressure is peaked. There are generally well accepted barrel length standards for each caliber. The hand-loader has more options to to reduce the charge for rounds in short barrels to achieve max velocity from THAT barrel without burning extra/wasted powder. Length of barrel does affect accuracy as does the bullet weight and rate of twist. The difference in bullet weight and twist is minor with standard revolvers and pistols in common calibers. Barrel length is the major accuracy game changer for handguns. If barrel length didn't make an accuracy difference on rifles all hunting rifles would be 16 inches and cut down the weight. The argument that that weight reduced felt recoil is moot as there are pads, muzzle brakes and inertia dampeners that do the job equal to the few additional ounces of barrel weight. Another example is the .300 Whby Accumark. 26 inch barrel. The Ultralight version has thinner but same length barrel. When looking at the "potential "accuracy of a barrel, it is the Quality of the barrel combined with the contour and length that matters.

Two references that vary pro/con on length:
    This one is general and yoy can scroll down to the barrel length section.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

Pleas note that the quality of the firearms used and compare that to what barrel you may be considering lopping off. Like the fine print always says "Results may vary....."
    http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

WR

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes sir...respectfully...we can most certainly agree to disagree. As asked by the gentleman above that was referring to rifles,my OPINION is that simply .....bbl length does not effect accuracy. Remember I am not talking twist rate,bullets,powders,or ANY other either thing that could be thrown into the equation.

I also do not believe that there are "well accepted barrel lengths for each caliber". Maybe general standards but a LIST of calibers and/or chamberings with the bbl length that will "make or break" the accuracy. Uhhhh....no.

I also do not personally believe that the bbl length of pistols and revolvers is "the major game changer". Although the length of the bbl does matter somewhat as far as accuracy due to the sight radius. The distance is simply further between the front and rear sights the longer/shorter the bbl is.

What length bbls do the professional bench rest shooters use ?? Mostly 20 inches,however the diameter is most always >.900". This for stiffness. I have seen the bench rest guys using the same chambering with different length bbls. This is mainly due to their load of choice. I do not believe that i have ever seen a bbl used >22 inches. The long distance shooters is a completely different thing. Those guys want velocity. I have a Weatherby chambered in .30-378Wby Mag with a 28" bbl. This is for shooting the 220gr+ bullets very fast(>3200fps). This for the ballistic coefficient and to stay super sonic at 1000yds and beyond. This gun burns 120+grs of powder. To allow the weapon to achieve the maximum in velocity it needs a bbl that long. Actually 30 inches would be better.

Again,I do not agree with everything that you stated in your above. That's ok. My opinion,your opinion....they are all opinions. We can most certainly agree to disagree. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00506_2.jpg
      DSC00506_2.jpg
      240.2 KB · Views: 190
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The side charge is absolutely great...especially with the use of optics. I hate the "reach under and pinch the charging handle" thing. PITA !! Fast,easy,quiet,controlable.

Bison Armory uses a couple of different bbl makers. One is Noveske. I really do not know which one mine is. I hand lapped it before the first shot and it is still getting better and better. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    These are some of the latest pics that we retreived off a game cam. The "smaller" hogs weigh in at about 80lbs. This is the big guy that we have been after. He will make three of the others. The bbl on the ground will hold 59gallons of liquid(for referance). --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• PICT0384.jpg
      PICT0384.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 165
    • PICT0424.jpg
      PICT0424.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 168

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With this guy, I could possibly add some more of these to my collection. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00815.jpg
      DSC00815.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 168

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These are some of the latest pics that we retreived off a game cam. The "smaller" hogs weigh in at about 80lbs. This is the big guy that we have been after. He will make three of the others. The bbl on the ground will hold 59gallons of liquid(for referance). --- SAWMAN

That's the best photo of him that I've seen yet!!

Smitty

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom