• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    just picked up a nice remington 700 from a buddy of mine. its a .30 - 06. what do yall think would be a couple good upgrades for it? itll be mainly a hunting gun but i wouldnt mind it shooting decent.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    depends on what type of stock and other things. If it's a wood stock, I would probably bed the action and float the barrel for starters. Give it a real bore cleaning, not just a couple of swipes with Hoppe's No. 9.

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    jake if i had one thing to change it would be the stock. a new bell and carlson is around 200 or less and u can find them used for a lot less and do like john said and strip the barrel to the point of no blue on the patches. this might take a while depending how much copper is built up. a strong copper remover is needed and if u have any sweets 762 be careful cause its hard on barrels. many times people have told me they need a new barrel and after a good cleaning the accuracy came right back. if youre mechanically inclined you can work on the stock trigger for no money. there are probably utube videos on lightening the trigger on a 700. u can get the stock trigger down to a little over a pound with some work. remember the harder u have to pull on the trigger the more likely u will pull the gun off target. a very good investment if u have some extra money is another barrel. they will run around 300 and another 150 or so to get it put on but with that u can change calibers to something a lot more accurate. dont skimp on the glass just ask around and do some research. one of my favorite budget scopes is the millet lrs1 and theyre under 400 and once u try one youll probably trade it around to one of youre favorite rifles. after all that spend whatever time u need on working up a load. dont just stop whenever you get under 1 moa, keep going thats where the fun comes in.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    yea its a wood stock. def want to get some trigger work done or do it myself and a good scope. ill get to work cleaning it good. i know my buddy has never cleaned it and i cleaned it a few years ago for him. hes only shot it 4 times since then. a 30/06 will shoot a lot better than i can shoot it and i have 4 other 06s so i want to stay with that caliber, i kinda like it. id like to find a mold or two and run some cast in it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bedding the action and free floating the barrel would be my first priority, followed by trigger work or a new trigger. Also handloading is a must to get the most accuracy out of your rifle, but I'm sure you already know that.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    yea ive got the stuff to load 30/06 just havent got into it yet. the only rifle cartridges ive done are .223.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just make it in to a 308,you can roll the round in easy, the army did this for a long time, have built several on long actions. Be carefully massing with the trigger. there is certain way to adj. it and for it to, don't trust u-tube/ just my 2 cents jj

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    why is a 308 better? i thought they were pretty much the same. i wont be messing with the trigger unless its very easy to do. im def not a gunsmith. the trigger pull on the 700 isnt near as bad as my ruger m77.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bring it by one evening and we will look at it.

I'm picking up a Remington M700 Light Tactical Rifle in 6.8SPC tomorrow. Could you look at it and give any recommendations please?

Thanks,
    Bruce (also in Milton)

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm picking up a Remington M700 Light Tactical Rifle in 6.8SPC tomorrow. Could you look at it and give any recommendations please?

Thanks,
    Bruce (also in Milton)

I may recommend you make me a good deal on it. Lol. But yeah. Bring it. I'm free Friday evening.

Top Bottom