• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was reading social media and came across Andy Griffith show when Opie met the hobo who was Buddy Ebsen and Here is what Andy told him about Opie;

When a hobo told Andy he should just let Opie "decide for himself" how he wanted to live… Andy had these words of wisdom.
    "No, I'm afraid it don't work that way. You can't let a young’n decide for himself. He'll grab at the first flashy thing with shiny ribbons on it. Then, when he finds out there's a hook in it, it's too late. Wrong ideas come packaged with so much glitter that it's hard to convince ‘em that other things might be better in the long run. All a parent can do is say 'wait' and 'trust me' and try to keep temptation away."
    Somehow... we have lost this basic truth. Too many people are more worried about being their child’s friend, than in being a parent.

Infidel99

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   1
    Thats exactly right. Like I've told my kids time and again.. I can be your father or your friend but can't be both and I choose the former.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    My kids know I'm their father first and foremost, but they also know I'll do anything for them... later in life we can be friends. Right now I have a job to do, making them happy, polite and good people. Parenting has never been an easy task but with cell phones, ipads and the intwebs its a lot different than it was for my parents.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Crazy thing is - Kids like boundaries! They understand and love you more for it.
    Amen. That's why they always try to push to find the boundry line. Seems if they can't find it then they think nobody cares. It's funny how that works.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An older father-figure/coworker, and mentor used to always say, "You can't push a rope." I struggled with the meaning of that for years. It finally dawned on me that I can't expect anyone to go where I won't go, so I use that with my boys. Even cutting grass, I'll be the first out in the heat, and not make a show of it. They will follow. I temper that with I will certainly one day ask/expect you to go places an do things I know you can, and I can't, and you will know when you are ready.

Last edited:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    An older father-figure/coworker, and mentor used to always say, "You can't push a rope." I struggled with the meaning of that for years. It finally dawned on me that I can't expect anyone to go where I won't go, so I use that with my boys. Even cutting grass, I'll be the first out in the heat, and not make a show of it. They will follow. I temper that with I will certainly one day ask/expect you to go places an do things I know you, and I can't, and you will know when you are ready.
    Iv only got one so far, but what you described is spot on for him.

He follows examples even when I don't realize it.

Working on the chicken coop last night- before our AC stopped working I had to go grab some more wood from the shed and my wife took this photo of him - He had grabbed my eye pro, earmuffs, and tape measure and was marking boards to "cut"

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.29.50 AM.png

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ^— I’m always happy to see a parent edit a photo of their kids. We get the overall meaning of the photo, and you and your child maintain privacy from the internet.

I’ve seen too many kids growing up with parents who “just have to” post everything on social media, and the kids don’t like it. There would be genuine funny moments or other normal things everyone does or experienced as a family, and if a picture was taken, instead of the thought of “no big deal” or “that will be in a photo album to laugh at one day”, these poor kids first reaction was “please don’t post that online”. To their parents. A child. Afraid of being embarrassed and privacy violated. What a buzzkill world to live in, right?

So, thanks for taking the time to protect your child’s details (and any other personally identifying stuff in the background) so that you could share a nice moment with the rest of us.

Kbud

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Iv only got one so far, but what you described is spot on for him.

He follows examples even when I don't realize it.

Working on the chicken coop last night- before our AC stopped working I had to go grab some more wood from the shed and my wife took this photo of him - He had grabbed my eye pro, earmuffs, and tape measure and was marking boards to "cut"

View attachment 170604
    man that is cute right there.

Top Bottom