Target Sports

Gonna load my 1st pistol calibers/ bullet puller?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Well I guess I'm gonna start reloading a few pistol cartridges. Last week I bought 9mm & 38/357 bullets, I just ordered primers and powders.
    Not sure if I'm gonna buy dies, pretty sure I have at least one Lee classic loader for 38 or 357. If not, I will when I buy one for 9mm.
    It's been a while, but after getting the 308 I practiced and got to where I could make them pretty quick. I also bought some HPBT 100g bullets to make some Mexican match 6.5 Grendel out of Wolf. Anyone use this type of bullet puller? I picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414-185426-365.png
      Screenshot_20240414-185426-365.png
      391.7 KB · Views: 18

Domonicm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure on that puller but been using a cheap Frankford Arsenal for long and short bullets for years.
    Or alternately a cam lock like the Hornady if you have a loading press. Though I prefer the Frankford as it does not affect the bullet

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpeg
      IMG_0095.jpeg
      15.1 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_0096.jpeg
      IMG_0096.jpeg
      15.3 KB · Views: 14

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Not sure on that puller but been using a cheap Frankford Arsenal for long and short bullets for years.
    Or alternately a cam lock like the Hornady if you have a loading press. Though I prefer the Frankford as it does not affect the bullet
    I smashed my FA years ago. There's a video of a woman using one like this against her husband using a impact puller, she pulls 3 in 50 second he takes 2 minutes.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There's a video of a woman using one like this against her husband using a impact puller, she pulls 3 in 50 second he takes 2 minutes.
    probably because she is hitting it fast and he is hitting it hard...he is choking a bat and she can't hold it that tight.

I have a couple of inertia hammers that I really only use to move a rifle bullet out of the case a little if necessary. I have a set of Forster collets and their puller. I don't care for it nearly as much as the Hornady cam lock puller. With the Forster the case goes in out of sight where the Hornady doesn't. I also have one of the F/A Pile Drivers...pretty neat device too. A crimped bullet is way harder to get out of the case. If you crimp the case with the collet puller you could loose 3 things...the bullet, case and primer. How good are you at removing live primers from a case :cool:.

Inertia drawbacks are you will damage the tip, lead or polymer to some degree no matter how much foam or steel wool in the bottom.

Collet drawbacks are they leave a ring on the bullet and the one mentioned above.

So far the only real drawbacks I see with the Pile Driver comes from improper primer seating from the Dillon...it will fire the primer on occasion.

The people I know that have the pliers seem to really like them. I have almost ordered them in the past.

i guess the only real advice i can offer is slow down and don't make pulls ;)

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    probably because she is hitting it fast and he is hitting it hard...he is choking a bat and she can't hold it that tight.

I have a couple of inertia hammers that I really only use to move a rifle bullet out of the case a little if necessary. I have a set of Forster collets and their puller. I don't care for it nearly as much as the Hornady cam lock puller. With the Forster the case goes in out of sight where the Hornady doesn't. I also have one of the F/A Pile Drivers...pretty neat device too. A crimped bullet is way harder to get out of the case. If you crimp the case with the collet puller you could loose 3 things...the bullet, case and primer. How good are you at removing live primers from a case :cool:.

Inertia drawbacks are you will damage the tip, lead or polymer to some degree no matter how much foam or steel wool in the bottom.

Collet drawbacks are they leave a ring on the bullet and the one mentioned above.

So far the only real drawbacks I see with the Pile Driver comes from improper primer seating from the Dillon...it will fire the primer on occasion.

The people I know that have the pliers seem to really like them. I have almost ordered them in the past.

i guess the only real advice i can offer is slow down and don't make pulls ;)

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I just used my Forster collet puller on these since my Hornady is at my buddy's. When you don't have the adjustment correct you get the one on the left. When it is adjusted correctly you get just the ring on the bullet like the one on the right. I lost 6 of the 11 bullets...I could use them as sighters with a confirmation with a good one.

IMG_2106.jpg

Sure hate loosing those 62gr GameKings

Last edited:
    Top Bottom