• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm all for sharing the road and giving bikers plenty of room, especially since I ride too. But if some idiot on a bicycle insists on driving down the middle of the lane and blocking when I'm trying to get by I will go by him with maybe an inch to spare from the edge of his handlebars then will brake check him, HARD. Bet he won't do it again.

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Do bike owners/riders pay ANY KIND of road taxes at all ?? Including gas tax ??Do they have to pay every year to register their bikes ??
    Do they have to demonstrate the knowlege and ability to handle their bikes ??
    Do they have to take a test ??
    Do they have to have on their person,a state license to ride their bikes ??
    And finally - -> are they so damn dumb that they don't realize that they are wearing them weenie bike helmates ... BACKWARDS !! ---- SAWMAN
    and they should be required to carry insurance just like vehicle owners do

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm all for sharing the road and giving bikers plenty of room, especially since I ride too. But if some idiot on a bicycle insists on driving down the middle of the lane and blocking when I'm trying to get by I will go by him with maybe an inch to spare from the edge of his handlebars then will brake check him, HARD. Bet he won't do it again.
    So you want to end up in prison when others tell the police you drove by too close and ran over someone? Will also probably be on film.
    You're a biker and you're also the problem. WOW!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Almost forgot.
    KARMA'S A BITCH!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you want to end up in prison when others tell the police you drove by too close and ran over someone? Will also probably be on film.
    You're a biker and you're also the problem. WOW!
    Almost forgot.
    KARMA'S A BITCH!

From your response I'm wondering, are you one of those bikers that drives down the middle blocking traffic? If not why are you so worked up about it?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Almost forgot.
    KARMA'S A BITCH!

From your response I'm wondering, are you one of those bikers that drives down the middle blocking traffic? If not why are you so worked up about it?
    We are here(this forum) because of a man on a bike. I do not ride and won't. Too dangerous. But to ride bikes yourself and wish harm.......and cause it? WOW again.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I know Ian and wish him well… what pisses me off about bicycles are the morons on Hwy. 98 at night. Yes there’s a bike lane. No, 99.9% have no reflectors, lights, or common sense for that matter. About 50% go against traffic. In the almost 20 yrs of driving from Hurlburt Field to Hwy. 87, after 2230 I personally almost made one cyclist a hood ornament on my Jeep as he was riding in the middle of the right lane where cars are driving 55mph (or mostly faster). Use common sense bicyclists please and police your own also. I’ll gladly share the road and move over a bit also, as long as I can see you.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    you ride with traffic and walk against it...people used to scream out of the window that I was on the wrong side of the road...smh

I used to ride with Dr.s, a Veterinarian, LEO, Middle Management people, a world wide Candy Company owner, mechanics, a trucking company owner....you know just good regular folks. I don't understand why some feel the need to be so critical of bike riders as people. I can understand the taking the lane issue.

When I rode I didn't have an issue peddling out a 35mph sprint. The average speed for most of the weekday rides we did for the 25 mile ride were 21-22mph...sometimes higher...the 100 mile Saturday rides 17-19mph...nothing slow about that...jump on one...let's see what ya got....while you are being so critical of cyclist.

I wonder how much road tax the trucking company owner paid over what most of the tax complainers here do, I wonder how much more the Candy Company owner pays for the fleet of sales vehicles and the trucks he used for distribution over what some here pay.

What was is it I read...a leotard...get your favorite pair of shorts on and ride a good bike 25 miles...you will wish you had worn those leotards with that chamois sewn in it when your crying those crocodile tears because you azz is chapped.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I rode bicycles everywhere in high school. Yes, all over the sidewalks and the roads, against traffic and with traffic. If you didn't have a bicycle then you didn't have friends. I got hit while I was on the sidewalk (my front tire was on the curb and I was looking at traffic, on my way out of a gas station) by a pilot in a little sports car on his way to base, out front of Milton High School. I got lucky. I got thrown over the car and slid off the passenger side with not a scratch on me. A kid I knew on the other side of my block got hit right out front of his house on South Airport and he got mangled for life. Watch out for bikes. Period. Be the bigger man and be nice, while offering an occasional word of constructive criticism. It's not about who is right or wrong or what is legal. It's about life or death.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't even know where to start.

Sawman, you're a prick. I own 7 vehicles that all consume fuel, are insured, and I pay my taxes, not to mention the fleet of vehicles that my business runs around. Go troll elsewhere.

The law states that in the case of a substandard lane where a vehicle can't safely pass me that I am able to take the full lane. I was riding in the right wheel path (as far over as I reasonably could) when the officer came up beside me to shout a portion of the law at me. There is no shoulder, bike lane, sidewalk or even a gutter in the tree tunnel on 12th ave where the speed limit is 30mph, I was going about 20. There was also no traffic what so ever, it was 6:45am on black Friday. We had just passed a "bikes may use whole lane" sign on 12th ave north. This cop had no reason to shout out the window at me, and when I told him he was wrong, (he only knew the first line of the statute) he told me he was going to pull me over, I agreed that he should.

Here is where I've got a serious problem. Instead of pull me over, the guy passes me within about 8" of my shoulder out of anger, aggression, and to intimidate. That's illegal. Here is where it gets worse.. the guy doesn't even know that is illegal.

I never aim to get in anyone's way, our cycling infrastructure is terrible and I avoid areas where it is dangerous to ride. I only take up as much space as I need to be safe and avoid a driver shooting the gap between me and oncoming traffic and accidentally hitting me.

I ride with real bright blinking lights front and rear, as well as a 360 degree camera, so I can see you and you can see me.

If you put me in danger with your car, be prepared, because I don't take it lightly and my skinny little legs can get these bikes going 30 and 40 mph.. so I just might catch you.

Or, you could just not be an asshole, give me a few feet of space, and have a little patience. Trust me, I don't want to deal with this shit either.

Here are the laws

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.2065.html

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.083.html

MaxNr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ever follow another car, with his wheel always in the bike lane? Awesome.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I love this forum!

Ian, be safe man. I'm surprised you can keep your bike upright due to the size of the giant balls it takes to ride around town. I drive about 1200 miles a week in Santa Rosa and Escambia counties... the amount of idiots behind the wheel of a vehicle is crazy.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup we got a bicycle law EXCEPT the bike law has lots of excepts in it. It would be naive and complacent to stop reading after the first few words of the Florida law:

"316.2065 Bicycle regulations.—
    (1) Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this chapter,"

I personally think Ian is a bit complacent in his judgement. The Excepts kill his automobile (or motorcycle) rights:

"except as to special regulations in this chapter, and except as to provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application."

First I ride a motorcycle a LOT with over 500,000 miles traveled so I agree bikes need the space. What I don't like is the bikes thinking it's fine to slow down the regular traffic. The Florida law says they shouldn't:

"(5)(a) A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must ride in the bicycle lane or, if there is no bicycle lane on the roadway, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:"

There is more so go read it if you cipher different than I do. My pet peeve is the two or four bikes across the lane when there is a single width bike lane (Scenic Highway, most Saturdays and Sundays).

Touchy subject I know, so is motorcycles. I try to give bicyclists a beep beep 1/4 mile before I surprise them as my Honda ST1300 is as loud as a sewing machine coming up behind a hard working huffing rider. This Ian guy says he hates it???

You ever have a bicyclist pass the entire line of car traffic sitting at a light by riding along the curb? I don't see any law that says they can do that but it's common as anything. And most then run the light or stop sign.
    Your pet peeves are my pet peeves, the law you quoted "except under any of the following situations" is where we get to the why I was riding my bike where I was when I was. 12th ave between fairfield and barcia is narrow, residential, no bike lane, shoulder, etc etc. And I typically avoid that short stretch just for this reason but on that day I was meeting some friends on 12th ave to go and grab coffee, so I did not take my normal neighborhood detour.

Honking is cool, a little beep beep before passing sure. My radar has already alerted me to the car approaching and that helps me from being startled. What isn't cool is the car laying on its horn as it buzzes me too close for no reason when I am in the bike lane etc etc.

Just like drivers some obey the laws, some are idiots. Same goes with cyclists, I am fully aware that plenty of cyclists are their own worst enemy. I can't stand when a group of cyclists passes a bunch of cars at a light.. just to be passed again shortly thereafter, that is inconsiderate and unneccessary. I sit in traffic, like I'm a car, unless my bike lane goes between the traffic lane and a turn lane where I am putting myself in a bad spot.

I am just asking that people give me the benefit of the doubt, I try to adhere to the laws of the road, and am not out there trying to make anyone's trip or commute more difficult.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love this forum!
    emoji23.png
    emoji23.png

Ian, be safe man. I'm surprised you can keep your bike upright due to the size of the giant balls it takes to ride around town. I drive about 1200 miles a week in Santa Rosa and Escambia counties... the amount of idiots behind the wheel of a vehicle is crazy.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I went from 13k miles ridden last year to about 8500 so far this year (renovating our new location killed me and my free time) and after all of this crap I am questioning why I am out there putting myself at risk.

you ride with traffic and walk against it...people used to scream out of the window that I was on the wrong side of the road...smh

I used to ride with Dr.s, a Veterinarian, LEO, Middle Management people, a world wide Candy Company owner, mechanics, a trucking company owner....you know just good regular folks. I don't understand why some feel the need to be so critical of bike riders as people. I can understand the taking the lane issue.

When I rode I didn't have an issue peddling out a 35mph sprint. The average speed for most of the weekday rides we did for the 25 mile ride were 21-22mph...sometimes higher...the 100 mile Saturday rides 17-19mph...nothing slow about that...jump on one...let's see what ya got....while you are being so critical of cyclist.

I wonder how much road tax the trucking company owner paid over what most of the tax complainers here do, I wonder how much more the Candy Company owner pays for the fleet of sales vehicles and the trucks he used for distribution over what some here pay.

What was is it I read...a leotard...get your favorite pair of shorts on and ride a good bike 25 miles...you will wish you had worn those leotards with that chamois sewn in it when your crying those crocodile tears because you azz is chapped.
    21-22 avg is pretty good, me and my buddies are pretty quick, our small group can usually eek out 22+ on about any distance we set out to do. Lots and lots of different types of people on bicycles, it is a great form of exercise and I bet in some cities that you could really enjoy it. It's a shame that this isn't one of them.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jumped on here for the first time in a minute and low and behold there’s Ian posting, it’s like the good ole days, Sawman being Sawman and a interesting thread going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My very best wishes to all the bicycle riders. Hope you stay safe and healthy,wear your KOOTIE masks and get all 6 or 8 shots,boosters,etc,etc.
    But whatever you do please turn them little "beanie" helmets around like they're supposed to be. You really look silly. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom