• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just picked one up on gunbroker. Does anyone have experience with it? How is fit and finish, accuracy, and brass when fried?

This one is brand new, owner said he fired 20 rounds and put it away. It has the box, mags, and scope rail. It is nickel plated, but I will probably get it cerakoted in a matte black. I shoot PRS and have a lot of precision rifles, so of course I am trying to tamper my expectations on accuracy.

Reviews are hit or miss. Either people loved them or they were crap. I lurked on the highroad and it seemed to be circular reporting. One member actually owned it and had a serious issue and everyone kept citing that source.

Goal with this rifle is a practical, old school tactical, 400 yard and in minute of steel IPSC / fun hunting gun. I guess if it shoots like crap, rebarrel it to a similar barrel to maintain the look?

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Wow! I'd forgotten all about those. I bought a No7 jungle carbine from shotgun news back in the early 90s for like $125. I built it into a scout rifle. I wish I still had it, it was a shooter, killed a lot of deer with it.

SLTW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow! I'd forgotten all about those. I bought a No7 jungle carbine from shotgun news back in the early 90s for like $125. I built it into a scout rifle. I wish I still had it, it was a shooter, killed a lot of deer with it.

That’s cool. I feel like the pre-2000 were the golden years for surplus.

I am pretty much leaving it alone, minus the Cerakote. The nickel finish was ok. It just had some weird discoloration from sitting in a box for 20 years.

I just couldn’t believe the scope mount though. You smush it between the stripper clip guide and the front of the receiver. It just floated there with one set screw. My smith is going to drill and tap the mount and then cut it to accept picatinny scope rings instead of the weaver style.

I’m going to put a nice LPVO on it and a sling. Then get it shooting with some Federal GMM.

Top Bottom